Hi,

Hello, can i ask something?.I am planning to buy a new HDD for my laptop samsung R530 T4400 dual core.because my old HDD will not install properly the window 7 and it will show black screen after it's restart...can you help me please what HDD should i buy and what is the specification like the RPM or etc...I am not good in choosing hardware because this is my first time that i will replace my HDD...last question what is SSD?is that differ from the HDD?...Thank you in advance and i am hoping for your positive response.

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Almost all SATA hard drive will work with the R530, changing it is also easy by removing the back plate and bracket. Best to use a 7'200rpm drive for speed.
As to SSD, these are solid state drives, using memory chips instead of plates to hold data, as memory read/write so much faster, it will make your laptop feel like speed lightning, as to which SSD the R530 only support SATA-II interface, so getting a SATA-III wont give you that much more speed.

Almost all SATA hard drive will work with the R530, changing it is also easy by removing the back plate and bracket. Best to use a 7'200rpm drive for speed.
As to SSD, these are solid state drives, using memory chips instead of plates to hold data, as memory read/write so much faster, it will make your laptop feel like speed lightning, as to which SSD the R530 only support SATA-II interface, so getting a SATA-III wont give you that much more speed.

Hi,

Thank you for you suggestion, and helping me.

so the R530 cannot be compatible with the SSD?

More power to you always.

Hi,

Thank you for you suggestion, and helping me.

so the R530 cannot be compatible with the SSD?

More power to you always.

as long as the ssd drive fits into the harddrive compartment it will work

Hi again,i'm back... i went to the computer store but i could not find the 7200 rpm hdd for laptop...they said that 7200 rpm is only for the desktop.5400 rpm is for the laptop,but i want to buy 320gb with 7200rpm.is this true that there is no 7200rpm for the laptop only for the desktop hdd.for the hdd laptop only 5400 will be used?

Thank you in advance.

your computer store don't know squat ,sure most laptops use 5400 rpm but you can get 7200 rpm drives
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2682&name=7200%20RPM

Hi thank you for the reply...can i ask what is meant by squat?...so to clarify sir, that i can get 7200 rpm sata hard drive 320gb for my laptop?...is seagate hard drive for laptop is okay to use?

sir,but what if the available is only 5400 rpm is this still okay to use or this will have a problem later on?

Thank you in advance.

sorry , squat, just means they "don't know nothing "

Seagate is a good drive ,and it will not hurt to use a 5400rpm drive its just a bit slower ,its use in laptops because of heat ,it will run cooler than the 7200rpm drive..

tell the computer shop to look for this model Seagate . ST9320423AS

Seagate ST9320423AS Momentus 7200.4 Mobile Hard Drive - 320GB, 2.5", 7200 RPM, 16MB, SATA

sorry , squat, just means they "don't know nothing "

Seagate is a good drive ,and it will not hurt to use a 5400rpm drive its just a bit slower ,its use in laptops because of heat ,it will run cooler than the 7200rpm drive..

tell the computer shop to look for this model Seagate . ST9320423AS

Seagate ST9320423AS Momentus 7200.4 Mobile Hard Drive - 320GB, 2.5", 7200 RPM, 16MB, SATA

caperjack, can i ask something?is my old hard drive samsung can be save?...before my hard drive become bad...when i used this i make some download like picture and updating my antivirus but it suddenly logs the screen or freezing,so i immediately force to restart by long press the power,and when it boot ups it prompt to repair your hard drive etc...so i repair it and it says that it cannot be repair...so restart again and i went to system restore but it could not restore..i restart again and tapping the F8 but it still the same. until it goes to black screen the microsoft loading bar is not visible anymore after i restart.so i tried to format it but there it says an error when i'm doing the partition and install the window 7."the installation may fail soon etc.."...so i just ignored it and installed so the installation is successful but when i installed the antivirus and some programs,when it restart the microsoft laoding bar is not visible it hangs up and black screen,so i tried again the start up repair but it would not repair when i clicked the details it says bad harddisk...so is this really gone and cannot be saved?

Thank you in advance.

hi, its my experience that once a hard drive does what your is doing its not fixable ,you should run seatools to test the drive ,download and burn to cdrom the seatools for DOS in this like ,boot the computer to the CD and run the full test to see if the drive is bad .if its bad seatools will tell you for sure .check on how to use it on this site also
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

direct link to download .
http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO

hi, its my experience that once a hard drive does what your is doing its not fixable ,you should run seatools to test the drive ,download and burn to cdrom the seatools for DOS in this like ,boot the computer to the CD and run the full test to see if the drive is bad .if its bad seatools will tell you for sure .check on how to use it on this site also
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

Hi, thank you for this but i remove now the samsung hard drive and put it on my desktop just like slave,i tried to use tune-up utilities the tune-up doctor"check hard disk error" but after thoroughly scan it says no found errors...but when i tried to restart in the bottom there it says that s.m.a.r.t bad hard disk.then press F1 to resume.so when i press F1 it will load to the windows then when i clicked my computer i saw my slave samsung.my questioned is can i still run the seatools in my desktop when i slave my samsung hdd laptop?....

thank you in advance

additional when i slave my samsung hdd on my desktop i delete the partition on my samsung hdd...can i still run seatools on my hdd laptop?...

thank you again.

you could downlkoad seatools for windows instead of the DOS one ,and install it on your desktop and run it and it will locate the 2 harddrive in the computer , tell it to scan the slaved laptop drive

you could downlkoad seatools for windows instead of the DOS one ,and install it on your desktop and run it and it will locate the 2 harddrive in the computer , tell it to scan the slaved laptop drive

hi caperjack,thank you so much,,by the way is seatool can repair my hard drive?

thank you again.

By the way caperjack,my bad hard drive is samsung not seagate is seatool still works on my samsung hdd?

By the way caperjack,my bad hard drive is samsung not seagate is seatool still works on my samsung hdd?

yes

yes

Hi caperjack,

I already tried the seatol the dos version because the windows version could not be install in my desktop...but when i tried the long test it says that the S.M.A.R.T has been tripped!!!...so i abort the test...what is meant by smart has been tripped i have no idea on this..and is my hard drive cannot be repair now?...

Thank you in advance.

Hi caperjack,

.but when i tried the long test it says that the S.M.A.R.T has been tripped!!!...so i abort the test....

that ok ,no need to abort the test .you need to run the test to tell you if it ok ,

definition of S.M.A.RT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

that ok ,no need to abort the test .you need to run the test to tell you if it ok ,

definition of S.M.A.RT

hi caperjack, okay i will try this again and i will let you know...more power to you always.

First, you must determine whether you need an internal or external hard drive. If you're looking for the easiest way to add data storage capacity to your computer, then you should go with an external hard drive....

pretty sure they know what harddrive needs replacing ,its a laptop

definition of S.M.A.RT

hi caperjack,

I found out that my hard drive should be replace a new one, because the seatool will not continue to test and it says failed etc...anyway i am still looking for the hard drive that you have said.by the way about the 7200rpm does this will matter to my processor my processor is dual core 2.1 Ghz intel...

Thank you in advance.

hi caperjack,

I found out that my hard drive should be replace a new one, because the seatool will not continue to test and it says failed etc...anyway i am still looking for the hard drive that you have said.by the way about the 7200rpm does this will matter to my processor my processor is dual core 2.1 Ghz intel...

Thank you in advance.

it should be no problem to use either a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive ,like i said before its usually just a power consumption and heat issue for the laptop .your laptop will work just fine with a 5400 rpm drive that what most use anyway ,so i wouldn't really be concerned with getting a 7200rpm drive

it should be no problem to use either a 5400 or 7200 rpm drive ,like i said before its usually just a power consumption and heat issue for the laptop .your laptop will work just fine with a 5400 rpm drive that what most use anyway ,so i wouldn't really be concerned with getting a 7200rpm drive

Hi caperjack,

Thank for the reply...thank you for your all suggestion...okay if i cannot get 7200rmp i will just use the 5400 seagate...

more power to you always.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.