I recently took apart an older HP Computer and took out a Maxtor Hard Drive (20 gig). I wanted to put it in my newer computer as a second drive. The hard drive has Linux installed on it and is set so Linux is the only partition. The newer computer picks up the hard drive (I can see it in device manager.), but I can not see it in My Computer. My goal is to format the drive and use it for storage, but I don't know how to format it in my current situation.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

welcome to daniweb forums!
the thing is that windows can't recognize linux partitions(EXT2 EXT3), you will need to use partition prog to change it, for example Disk Director from acronis

Yes. Also, since Windows can't see the drive, you'll need to format the drive thru disk management (start>run, type diskmgmt.msc' and press enter). Choose your new drive, rt click on that and choose "Format". Be sure to select NTFS as the file system.

Yes. Also, since Windows can't see the drive, you'll need to format the drive thru disk management (start>run, type diskmgmt.msc' and press enter). Choose your new drive, rt click on that and choose "Format". Be sure to select NTFS as the file system.

be careful, it can erase all data on the drive, but if you don't care about data i think it wiold be the easiest way to change the file system. good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.