I just bought a new hard drive as i said in a post below this one and still have my old one in my computer. I have a IDE cable that has 3 40 pin connectors. One to the mother board, one to the HDD and another for another HDD next to that one + molex power cables along with them. I still have stuff on my old HDD that i want on my new one (like 600+ songs on iTunes!). I got a new HDD because i got an error on my old one that iv been getting for awhile that i just bypassed but recently i got another error in which i cant get by. I was wondering if i can hook up my old HDD and my new HDD and get the files from that old HDD that isnt functioning onto my new one. I also bought a fan so i dont think i will have my old HDD in with my new one because then the fan wouldnt fit. I was just wondering if that was possible. Thanks again :lol:

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Forget about that fan just for the minute.

For now, install both hard drives. Ensure that the jumper on the new one is set to 'Master' and the end cable connector is attached to it.

Ensure that the jumper on the old hard drive is set to 'Slave' and the middle connector of the cable is attached to it.

Ensure that all settings for IDE in BIOS setup are set to 'Auto'

Boot up and both drives should be detected and recognised by Windows. Then you'll be able to copy your files across to the new drive, remove the old one and install your fan.

If the old drive has errors which have made it non-functional any more, then I'm afraid your files are lost and you should have backed them up earlier.

The middle connector was connected to my old, single HDD and that was my master. Should i put the new one on the middle now or the end? Or does it not matter since ill be changing my jumpers anyways.

Do what I said, then install Windows on the new drive and set it up, then copy your files across from the old drive, then throw the old drive away!

If it's getting bad errors, it's no good!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.