Hello,

I have just bought new HP Proliant ML150 Generation 3 Server without any OS. I have decided to install Win XP professional so I have inserted Win xp prof. CD and Windows installation started successful until I didnt recieve next message:

*******************************************************************************************************************************
Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup can not continue. To quit setup, Press F3.
*******************************************************************************************************************************

I have searched many forums including DaniWeb but I still cant find solution;(

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for promt replys!

Cheers;P

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hello,

I have just bought new HP Proliant ML150 Generation 3 Server without any OS. I have decided to install Win XP professional so I have inserted Win xp prof. CD and Windows installation started successful until I didnt recieve next message:

Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup can not continue. To quit setup, Press F3.

I have searched many forums including DaniWeb but I still cant find solution;(

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for promt replys!

Cheers;P

did you open the case to make sure there is a hard drive install in the tower ,if yes what type hard drive Sata or IDE ,if Sata you will need to hit f6 when installing winxp and install sata drivers so winxp can recognize you hard drive .the sata drivers are usually found on the motherboard disk that comes with a new computer .sata drives have a smaller usually red cable connecting them to the motherboard ,ide have 40/80 pin wide usually grey cable.

edit= did a google search and it has 6 bay sata .

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12527_div/12527_div.pdf

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&lang=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1163831#2

thanks very much for reply caperjack

Hard drive is 100% installed and HP ML150 recognise him during startup. Hard drive I have is SATA type.

Since I opened same thread on other website, here is text from that site in which I fully decribed my problem:

ps. my nick is adnan2004

auyuksel:
Could you please check the raid controller card cables and the card is properly installed in to the slot.
And when you start the machine you should see the press fx for scsi-raid bios console or something like that. Please enter the raid console program and check the disks state are healty.

* Accept Multiple Solutions
* Accept as Solution

10.20.2007 at 01:32PM CEST, ID: 20114429

jabramsja:
Sounds like you need a driver disk for your hard drive. Check your manufacturer's website for the driver. You need to either put it on a floppy disk or slipstream it into windows xp. To slipstream the driver into windows xp, you will need a program called nlite. Great little program.

If you decide to use a floppy disk for the driver, when you start Win XP press F6 at the beginning of installation when it asks you to, then insert the disk and pray that the driver installs.

I personally suggest using the slipstream method myself. Check it out, and post if you have questions about it:)

* Accept as Solution

10.20.2007 at 01:42PM CEST, ID: 20114439

adnan2004:
@auyuksel:

Since I am still amatur in IT can you tell me how to check raid controller card cabels?

Regarding hardisks I have hard disks in two slots which are in front of house case and they doesnt require opening house case and messing with any cables, you just plug in the hard disk and thats all. Two hardisks I have are "Seagate barracuda 7200.10" each by 160gb (hope that helps)

and also, when i reboot my pc I dont see any option like "press fx for scsi-raid bios console", all I see is "press f7 for setup menu" "f10 for ROM based setao utility" "f12 for pxe boot"

10.20.2007 at 01:44PM CEST, ID: 20114441

adnan2004:
@jabramsja

I will try that right now - as soon as I test I will inform you if works

10.20.2007 at 01:55PM CEST, ID: 20114469

adnan2004:
I have choosed to download the driver from manufacturer's website, but since my PC doesnt have disk floppy can I use CD instead?

10.20.2007 at 03:53PM CEST, ID: 20114756

dragonjim:
The Baracuda .10 is a SATA drive -- so you will need to install drivers during setup. The F6 is pressed during the Windows installation, just watch for it during the Windows Setup routine.

I'm not sure if you can use a 2nd CD-drive for this... I will say, if your computer has 1 CD-drive; then no -- that will be using the Windows Install CD. I'm doubtful this would be successful, but can't hurt to try.

* Accept as Solution

10.20.2007 at 04:45PM CEST, ID: 20114921

jabramsja:
You can use a cd instead, however, you will need to slipstream the driver into your windows cd.

In order to do this, you have to download nlite from http://www.nliteos.com/download.html .

This software is very easy to use. use the exe file to install it. You will than have to browse to your windows xp pro cd to where your i386 folder is. You then need to tell it where to copy it to your hard drive. After it is finished copying press next. You should than have some options like hotfix and drivers. Click drivers. Also make sure to click on the bottom, make iso, or burn cd...something like that. It will than ask you where your drivers are. Make sure that you can see all of your driver files in the place where you downloaded your hard driver drivers (i.e. the .sys and .inf files). Then click on the .sys file which should be the actual name (or close to) of the raid or sata controller you want to install. Than hit next. Make sure that you choose the drivers as textmode, so that they will show up pre-install of windows and you will not need to press f6 to install drivers.
After this you should be able to burn the cd with your newly installed drivers. I know this sounds complicated, but once you start messing with the nlite software you will realize it is pretty plug and play.

Good luck!!

* Accept as Solution

10.20.2007 at 09:21PM CEST, ID: 20115793

The_Warlock:
Nlite?
Cmon, its a good answer but not the easiest solution here since it requires the user to know how to package the Os properly and also include his Sata, raid, scsi, drivers and .sys, .inf file placement in the instrall root directory b4 making a copy of his XP cd. Do you have another PC in your house that you can just borrow a floppy drive from for this task. If so, just get your drivers and put them on a floppy, connect that spare floppy drive to your Proliant, and as stated above when the Windows Installation is starting (At the top it should say "Inspecting your computers hardware configuration" ) which is when you shuld see at the bottom "Press F6" if you need to install SCSI and or 3rd party drivers. Once the install is ready to start (At the Next continue screen) it WILL prompt you to insert that driver disk in floppy A:

Otherwise you may have no choice but to insert that driver set into the Win Xp install cd after copying the entire install image onto another cd because Windows installation by default is set look for that to come from the A: drive according to the install.ini or setup.ini embedded in the Xp install cd.

* Accept as Solution

10.20.2007 at 09:28PM CEST, ID: 20115811

jabramsja:
Warlock. Actually, he doesn't have to know how to package his os properly. Nlite does almost of the work for him. He only needs the driver files to be available(.inf, .sys). He just needs to follow the wizard. Nlite puts the files where they need to go. When was the last time you used nlite?

I will agree that using a floppy drive would be easier. If he can get one. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with my solution.

* Accept as Solution

10.21.2007 at 01:34AM CEST, ID: 20116357

The_Warlock:
3 Months ago.... I am trying to keep it simple for the author. I agree that Nlite will resolve his problem by adding that to the system information root, but if he cant burn another copy w/ that or understand how its done he is still in the same boat.... I certainly know its MOSTLY user friendly when building an image w/ Nlite.....IE: Unattended installs, etc, but I just want to keep it simple for the author.

* Accept as Solution

10.21.2007 at 11:56AM CEST, ID: 20117394

adnan2004:
@jabramsja

I tryed using nlite, program looks OK, I have done everything you suggest (download nlite, copied i386 folder to hard disk etc) but when I got to part when I needed to choose/insert drivers I could not find any drivers for my hard disk "Seagate barracuda 7200.10 160GB" on Internet?? and thats the problem... I am not sure which driver I have to download?

10.21.2007 at 11:56AM CEST, ID: 20117397

adnan2004:
@The_Warlock

Yes, I have spare floppy drive on my old PC but again problem is that I not sure how to find drivers?

10.21.2007 at 12:00PM CEST, ID: 20117408

adnan2004:
Here is some additional info which could help us understand and solve this problem ASAP:

1) with my "HP Proliant ML150 Generation 3 Server" I also received CD: "HP Proliant ML150 G3 Server support and documentation CD - Bootable diagnostic utility - Install driver and configuration files" which probably contains dirvers I need but I cant find them.

When I open CD, autorun starts and CD is automatically opened in browser as website. When I click on "System Support Software" I get this options:

» Microsoft Windows Server 2003
» Microsoft Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions
» Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
» RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 (x86)
» RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 (AMD64/EM64T)
» SCO OpenServer 6
» SCO UnixWare 7
» SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (x86)
» SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (AMD64/EM64T)

and when I click for example on "Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" then I get list of avaliable drivers:

» Driver - Chipset
» Driver - Network
» Driver - Storage Controller
» Driver - System Management
» Driver - Video
» Utility - Tools

So, it looks like that on my CD I have all drivers but I am little confused because there is no option to download drivers for "Windows XP professional"?? As I have mentioned in my earlyer post I am still amateur in IT, so I am not sure that Win XP professional can be installed on "HP Proliant ML150 G3"??

All above stated operatin systems contain word "Server" ("Microsoft Windows Server 2003", "SCO OpenServer 6" etc) and I am trying to install regular Win XP professional, is that possible? and if it is, where can I find drivers for Win XP professional??

2) also one more important information is that when I start my "HP Proliant ML150 G3", during startup two hard drives I have, are recognisable by hp Proliant.This is how message looks like:

Port-00: Hard disk, FB160c4081
Port-01: Hard disk, FB160c4081
Port-02: no device detected

does this mean that hard drives drivers are installed or...?

3) and also in BIOS setup under hard disk configuration this is how list looks like:

IDE Channel 0 Master = [CD-ROM/DVD-ROM]
IDE Channel 0 Slave = [None]
Sata port 1 = [None]
Sata port 2 = [None]
Sata port 3 = [None]
Sata port 4 = [None]

is this configuration ok?

10.21.2007 at 12:05PM CEST, ID: 20117424

adnan2004:
ps. since i need to solve this problem fast I have increased question value

thanks for all your help

10.21.2007 at 04:22PM CEST, ID: 20118007

jabramsja:
I looked for drivers for you. Because your computer is a server, you should be installing an OS like windows 2003 server, or windows 2000.

Here is the link for your drivers. I would suggest trying to use the raid drivers for windows 2000.
You can actually put all of the drivers in your nlite, and hope that one of them works. Or try them on a floppy

This is for all of the drivers:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/6265.html?lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=1163831

From there, go to Storage Controller, and start testing them out. It doesn't look like you need the sata drivers, just the raid drivers. If you don't want raid, physically switch your hard drives over to the sata controller.

Hope this helps a little anyway:)

* Accept as Solution

10.21.2007 at 04:23PM CEST, ID: 20118015

jabramsja:
By the way, you don't need drivers for your hard drive (seagate barracuda), you need drivers for your storage controller to recognize your hard drive array in windows xp setup.

* Accept as Solution

10.21.2007 at 07:24PM CEST, ID: 20118588

adnan2004:
This is what I have done so far:

I have choosed "Microsoft Windows 2000" from hp.com and than "Driver - Storage Controller". Ater I have clicked these drivers was available:

***************************************************************************************************************************
HP U320 SCSI Adapter, SAS/SATA HBA with RAID and SCxxXe series HBA Driver for Windows 2000
HP ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver for Windows 2000
Intel® SATA AHCI Controller Driver
HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003
***************************************************************************************************************************

so I downloaded all of them but whenever I run setup/install for any of these I recieve next message:

"The software is not supported for installation on this system.
The OS is not supported.
Press 'Close' to exit Setup."

or

"The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system.
Press 'Close' to exit Setup."

It looks like I cant run these drivers on Win XP prof. (I downloaded these drivers using my laptop) so I should try searching drivers avaliable for Win XP prof. or...??

And regarding OS, this is what I have found in PDF manual for ML150:

"Operating systems supported:
Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Microsoft Windows 2003 Server, Standard Edition (available preinstalled) Microsoft Windows Small Business Server
2003 (available preinstalled) Red Hat Linux, SCO Linux®, SUSE Linux.
Note: For an up-to-date listing of the latest ProLiant ML150 G3 Server operating system support matrix, visit www.hp.com/go/supportos."

so it looks like even if I fix this problem I still wont be able to install Win XP prof??

and this part I have found also on Internet, it could be conected to my problem:

"Storage Diskette Drive None ship standard
1.44 MB USB Diskette Drive Option available
Optical Drive 48x IDE (ATAPI) CD-ROM Drive
Hard Drives None ship standard
SAS and SATA HDD options are available
Maximum Internal
Storage
SATA 4.5TB (6 x 750GB) SATA (With standard SATA controller)
SAS 1.8TB (6 x 300GB) SAS (With optional SAS controllers)
NOTE: Support for a single logical drive limited to 2TB.
NOTE: Information below pertains to SATA configuration:
- In BIOS revisions prior to 11/03/2006, the default configuration for SATA models will not recognize
when more than four drives are installed while running Microsoft Windows operating system. To
recognize all six drives, AHCI mode has to be enabled and SATA AHCI driver installed. For further
information on how to enable AHCI mode, please refer to the RTF card that is shipped with the server or
posted on http://www.hp.com.
- When configuring RAID using the embedded SATA RAID controller, two arrays have to be set up to
recognize all six drives."

... so right now I am confused and not sure what to do ;(

you are getting very good help from others on other site,nothing i could add that would help you .i was going in the right direction with my first post .
good luck

Hi guys, im new to this server stuffs... i faced the same situation as adnan2004 but thanks to you guys i managed to install windows server 2003 on my ML150 G3 server. what i did was using the nLite software to stream in the driver. i added in the LSI_SAS.INF driver since my sata hardisk is sas model. just wanted to know a few things more.... which is better, the RAID function or the AHCPI funtion, can anyone tell me major differences on both. Thanks alot :)

AHCPI not ACPI ,
Acpi and raid have nothing to do with each other. not sure what better though.

Edit: i did some searching/reading and it looks like ahcpi is set in the bios if you want to install xp on a sata drive disabled if you are installing Vista ,more to it that that though you'll have to google it and read

just realised that, thanks :) ahcpi is just another name for JBOD, isn't it? then I suggest to read the RAID wiki nonetheless

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

No need of RAID Installation. Phoenix BIOS have this common issue because it will not automatically recognise which HDD is installed. Just user needs to configure HDD Enhanced Acceleration Mode to 'SATA' under BIOS Advanced configuration if he/she is using the SATA HDD.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.