I've had it for more than a year. When I turn it on the power lights and DVD control button lights come on and even beep when touched. The screen remains blank and about every 15 seconds the lights will blink. When plugged in the power light comes on as normal. I have a hunch I have either a faulty hard drive or a jacked up motherboard. What should I do?

Recommended Answers

All 30 Replies

if the hard drive had a problem the computer would post before faulting. it sounds like it could be the mobo or the cpu. what are the system specs?

I'm don't know them all. I'm computer iliterate. It has a 120 g hard drive and I'm not sure what else.

i have a hunch that it's your mobo, but if you're computer illiterate then you should probably take it to a repair center. diagnosing and replacing a mobo isn't something for the casual user.

I'm don't know them all. I'm computer iliterate. It has a 120 g hard drive and I'm not sure what else.

I have the same problem but with an Hp zt3000. It powers up and the lights come on. No video and the HDD does not boot. What could be the problem?

Hi all.

The HP dv6000 not booting issue seems to be quite common with this laptop.

D&D Tech Repairs have been able to sucssesfully repair this problem.

If you would like us to repair your laptop, simply hop over to www.ddtechrepairs.co.uk and fill out the online form print it and send it with your laptop to us. the details can be found on our site. You dont need to send the hard drive or charger. And for £80 we'll have your laptop returned and running. ( Please get in touch if you live outside the UK ).

We can repair all types of laptops and electronic items at reasonable prices.

Regard
Stacy

If it will not post the odds are that your motherboard is toasted. Your hard drive should be OK. Time for repair shop or new laptop.

Having no success with HP with my client's dv6500, I sent the motherboard to England to Stacy Allcock of D&D Tech Repairs, Nottingham as posted above for repair. Stacy contacted me and told that the unit was fixed and that I should pay his fee of 80UKP. This I immediately transferred to his account. 2 weeks later, the board arrived back with no obvious signs of repair. I installed it in the machine and exactly the same symptoms showed. LEDs light, blank screen, no boot etc. I phoned Stacy who told me to send it back for more repairs. This I did and 2 weeks he later called me and told me that “the weather had been the problem. I’ve got new tools ariving.”!! “OK” says I, stupidly. Weeks later, the board doesn’t come back and I call him. I speak to his wife/mother? She tells me this a part time business and that he is out at work, but that she thinks the board is beyond repair and I must speak to him. That evening, I speak to him and he says he’s waiting for a part , but that with the Christmas/New Year post it won’t arrive for 3 weeks!
I emailed him on 24th Dec and finally he replied on 28th Dec after a chasing email as follows:-
“Your motherboard is being returned to you in the new year.
It might take a while, because I will not be sending it until the new year, when I am back at work.
You will get a refund minus the deductions, when my admin staff are back at work. ”
Nice polite email huh?
I found out that Stacy Allcock is a Director at SMV Solutions Ltd, Nottingham so I guess the admin staff there will be sending it all back.
What a dreadful experience! HP and Stacy Allcock, shame on you.

What happen is you use one of the Quickplay buttons to power up?

Precision Division in Clearwater, FL (PrecisionDivision.com) repairs laptop motherboards. For the HP DV2000, DV6000 and DV9000 series, after they fix the motherboard, they actually improve the system by modifying the fan so that it runs on high (better than the bios update) and add thermal compound as well. Most places just reflow the GPU, but don't do anything to prevent subsequent failures. Precision Division stops the problem right in it's tracks.

Has this thread been solved? I don't want to hear that it can be fixed by a pro unless that pro is willing to say what the problem is, what leads them to believe it, how to verify it. We are here to fix things ourselves or at least not be take for a ride.

"You can do anything - given enough time and materials."

$125 to have it professionally repaired is not being taken for a ride, it's being smart. Most of the "repairs" that people are trying at home fail, and end up causing permanent damage. If you don't mind taking the risk to save $125, go for it, but don't get mad if you destroy your motherboard. If you want your unit to be fixed and stay fixed, send it to Precision Division. You get a 120 day warranty and the best thermal modifications.

@techsheaven,

This issue of no display in HP DV2000/6000/9000 series laptops is due to a design defect for the cooling of the GPU. The chips tend to sometimes get as hot as 140 degrees centigrade and even higher. This plus lead free solder joints that crack with repeated heating and cooling leads to your laptop not giving display after a year. This can usually be repaired by reflowing the GPU (best done by a professional doing infra red BGA rework). But this alone isn't enough. The cooling has to be improved by removing the thermal pad between the GPU and heatsink (the root cause of failure) and replacing it with a 2mm thick copper piece cut to the right size and good quality thermal paste like arctic silver. Also the BIOS needs to be updated to the newest version (this keeps the fan running always). If all this is done the laptop should work for a long time.

I repair these problems often and so know how to solve this problem. It took a lot of research to find the actual cause of failure of these laptops, but now its easy for me. By the way, the infra red rework machine is quite costly - around 2000USD plus shipping. Not for a one time repair job. The reflow can be done by hot air by someone skilled in this, but this can damage the motherboard as the temperature needed to melt lead free solder is 215 degrees centigrade and to achieve this temperature with hot air needs a lot of heat to be applied and its not easy to heat the GPU evenly with hotair thought there are those who are able to do so.

Paying a repair shop that does these things around USD 100-125 is a good idea provided they do all the steps mentioned above. If the job's done properly you shouldn't need to visit the repairer for a very long time.

Cheers!

I am also having the same problem with the dv6000, the lights come on and the cd drive spins up but the hard drive never engages. I pulled the hd out and was able to access it as an external drive. I tried making a boot disc from ultimate boot cd but didn't have any luck getting the system to start up. (yes I put the hd back in the machine) I am new to this but know a little as I am studying to take the A+ exam. any guidance would be appreciated.

I am also having the same problem with the dv6000, the lights come on and the cd drive spins up but the hard drive never engages. I pulled the hd out and was able to access it as an external drive. I tried making a boot disc from ultimate boot cd but didn't have any luck getting the system to start up. (yes I put the hd back in the machine) I am new to this but know a little as I am studying to take the A+ exam. any guidance would be appreciated.

Hi,
You have hijacked a thread and should have started your own. Please start your own and answer the following questions.
1. Do you get any beeps as the machine starts to boot?
2. Do you get anything on you monitor?
3. Do the lights on your monitor change when booting?
4. Do the lights on the CD/DVD flash or stay solid?
5. What happens to the power switch light?
6. What are the details of your machine?
7. What is your OS?
8. When did it last work?
9. Have you downloaded, installed or uninstalled anything just before it stopped working?
10. Any other information that can assist someone here to know what is happening to your machine so we can help you.

RT@techsheaven

The quickplay buttons have the same effect as the power button. Screen still blank and machine "reboots" every 15 secs.

someone help

@dadisto,

Your problem is due to a problem related to the NVIDIA GPU. If you can find an honest professional who does BGA rework, kindly go and get it fixed. I've posted more info above. This is a design defect in this model and needs some minor modification to the laptop besides BGA rework.

Cheers!

I've had it for more than a year. When I turn it on the power lights and DVD control button lights come on and even beep when touched. The screen remains blank and about every 15 seconds the lights will blink. When plugged in the power light comes on as normal. I have a hunch I have either a faulty hard drive or a jacked up motherboard. What should I do?

Hold power button until the little blue light that is beside the card reader goes out. That will get you restarting and will work itself out and go away once all updated.

Maybe swap DVD drives to install Vista (use YouCam for webcam and QuickPlay for remote control to work)Hope this helps...

This worked for me, I had black screen, continuous restarting, no bios, etc...

DV6000
Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit
(was XP Media Center Edition)

Hold power button until the little blue light that is beside the card reader goes out. That will get you restarting and will work itself out and go away once all updated.

Maybe swap DVD drives to install Vista (use YouCam for webcam and QuickPlay for remote control to work)Hope this helps...

DV6000

Precision Division in Clearwater, FL (PrecisionDivision.com) repairs laptop motherboards. For the HP DV2000, DV6000 and DV9000 series, after they fix the motherboard, they actually improve the system by modifying the fan so that it runs on high (better than the bios update) and add thermal compound as well. Most places just reflow the GPU, but don't do anything to prevent subsequent failures. Precision Division stops the problem right in it's tracks.

DV6000

Has this thread been solved? I don't want to hear that it can be fixed by a pro unless that pro is willing to say what the problem is, what leads them to believe it, how to verify it. We are here to fix things ourselves or at least not be take for a ride.

"You can do anything - given enough time and materials."

DV6000

Some people need to learn the hard way. The fact is that some of these laptops may come one and give display a coulpe of times, but unless the defect in the cooling design is corrected, the laptop WILL eventually have a non functioning GPU, no display will be possible. If you know how to do BGA rework, you could do it too. Try everything if you wish. I only shared my knowledge so some people could be spared the pain of constant attempts at repair. I even gave our trade secret away. Anyway, if you wish try whatever you want.
Good luck!
Trion

These units have had a big problem with this . look on utube there's a ton of video's on how to repair yourself , good luck

Still working flawlessly after hundreds of reboots, etc... Has never missed a beat and was "condemned" by a reputable computer shop. I see dozens for sale with the same symptoms and will buy as many as I can find. If anyone has one for sale cheap, let me know.

Hold the power button down until the Media Card Reader light goes out.

i have a hp pavilion dv2000 the screen was badly damaged when it was dropped and crushed, I had an extra hp dv2000 and switched the screens. when i turned on the computer after changing the screen it turn on and the screen showed start windows normally,it looked like the computer was going to start but never did. it just made noise and went right back to option start windows normally. so can u give me advice on what it could be? is the mother board done? also every 30 seconds it would try to reboot the drive blinked and blinked, it did this over andover and then made 3 loud beeps . eventually just a blank screen

What a dreadful experience! HP and Stacy Allcock. I suggest you that check it carefully

The dv6000 has 170 GB hard free space 2 GB ram, runs on vista and im haveing the same dang problem

I had the same problem with my dv6000 (along with every other known DV6000-issues).

I removed the battery and the powercord, held the onbutton for a minute. Then i put the laptop, with out the battery, in the refrigerator for about 30 min. Took it out and connected the battery and powercord and powered up. Worked like a charm...for the moment.

I discovered that when i put the laptop in sleepmode the bootproblem returned. But the solution I found worked again, and again, and again....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.