1,105,578 Community Members

dell inspiron 5160 dead? can you help to decode blinking lights?

Member Avatar
snowy
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Dec 2007
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop. Was working fine, but now does not power up at all. When plugged in, I touch the power button and all three lights blink green for a fraction of a second. THen only the light on far right blinks ten times yellow/amber. Nothing else happens. What does this mean? Is it the power cord that's the problem or the internal battery? If I remove the battery I get nothing at all. I do not have a spare power cord or battery to test this further. Any advice? I've done some searches and see that this is a problem with 5100 Dells, but I can't seem to find a thread that will take me in the direction of correctly diagnosing the problem with my machine (and I need to fix this asap!) Thanks.

Member Avatar
Suspishio
Posting Virtuoso
1,730 posts since Aug 2007
Reputation Points: 32 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 143 [?]
Team Colleague

Is the power block warm? If not, it's failing to charge the battery and you're out of charge.

Looks like some sort of pwer problem as I think you've judged. See page 15 of your manual for some guidance.

Member Avatar
DimaYasny
Godmode enabled
1,773 posts since Jan 2007
Reputation Points: 171 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 91 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 4 [?]
Team Colleague
Featured

can you find the phone number for dell support? those guys are very helpful

Member Avatar
snowy
Newbie Poster
2 posts since Dec 2007
Reputation Points: 0 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

Thanks for the input/advice. Next time I'll call the Dell support line as you suggest to see what they have to say - I should have given them a chance. I have a friend who had a bad experience with Dell support, so I guess that's why I stayed away.
For any of you who face this same problem, here's what I did. Although I'm a (complete) novice, I did some research and learned how to get inside the laptop, get under the keyboard and check all the connections, particularly the cable to/fr the battery, and also the memory cards. Interesting project for a novice, and perhaps quite a risky thing to do.
But - to my surprise, my rather blind and tentative efforts solved the problem. I truly couldn't tell you what went right, but the once dead machine came alive, and is working perfectly well again. I can only surmise that some connection was not firing, and by disconnecting and reconnecting it, I got it matched up again.
I'm now much the wiser, though, as a result of my research. I now realize that the problem may occur again and I may not be able to revive the machine again without significant cost and angst.
I'm pleased for now to have a working machine, with no regrets about trying something new and different (that is, pretending to be the tech I'm not).

Question Answered as of 6 Years Ago by DimaYasny and Suspishio
You
This question has already been solved: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: