Hey All-

My cat knocked a glass of water on my DELL Inspiron 6000 around Xmas. Now the computer will turn on and than go immediately back off. I have done the following:

Completely disassembled and let everything 'dry' out overnight

Was able to hook up the laptop's hard drive to my desktop system and pulled data off of it; doesn't that imply the hard drive works?

Tried reassembling and with and without the battery started it up with the same results: buttons for power, number lock, cap locks lit and than went right back out.

I could not find any visible signs of damage; no burnt signs; no smell; no melting....just won't work!

I started looking at a replacement motherboard but for around $180 I'm not sure that's really the solution to fixing it.

I appreciate anyones ideas on this.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hey All-

My cat knocked a glass of water on my DELL Inspiron 6000 around Xmas.

Completely disassembled and let everything 'dry' out overnight

i only have a question ,not an opinion as to what wrong yet!
Question=did you just open it and let it dry out last night or did you do that the same time it happened

The disassembly and drying out was this week; so not immediatly when it happened. At that time I was actually afraid if I opened it I would make it worse by spreading the water around; I literally left it on a desk for about a month.

rust

DELL Inspiron 6000 - Screwed.

Try claiming on the house insurance.

can't on the house; already tried; not covered.

So...I didn't hear any helpful suggestions; are you saying NO to replacing the motherboard? What's exactly toast on it? I'm not one to just throw stuff in the land fill if I can help it so if for a few hundred bucks to me it's worth the fix.

ANYONE out there have an opinion on replacing the motherboard? Are dimensions models compatible? I have access to motherboards from this model but wasn't sure if they would work.

Thank you!

I would only replace a motherboard of exactly the same type, but I would be careful as laptop motherboards a quite fiddly, maybe take it into a local shop and ask them.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.