Last year I purchased the parts for a new computer and had my friend stick it all together. In the past few months the computer has showed slowing, the loading of Windows takes more time and so on. Today I rebooted my computer and was greeted with a BSOD.

It was to do with win32k.sys and the specific error was "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" Other info was:
BF89BDFC base at BF800000
Datestamp 45f013f6

Windows directed me to this page afterwards: http://wer.microsoft.com/Responses/Response.aspx/1445/en/5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0?SGD=06e94b6c-194d-4696-b253-053b4e7f9465

I've never upgraded my BIOS, if that's what needs to be done, so full instructions would be helpful.

Running on XP SP2.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

What the page link is saying is that it really has no idea what the prob. is. The only thing that it is saying is that there seems to be a mismatch between the BIOS and the CPU, i.e. lack of BIOS support for the CPU. Even IF there's a BIOS update for your chip it may NOT cover your specific prob. Read carefully the txt file associated with any BIOS update. If it doesn't then even if you do effect a BIOS update it was so much wasted motion.

Use your search engine referring to "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" and your basic OS ver., i.e. ME, 2K, XP, etc.

hi kingston, try installing a fresh copy of your OS, check if it will help..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.