Hello, I have a media center desktop PC for like 4 years, and yesterday a blue screen came up a few times about a hardware and software problem. Then today it does the something. I was going to look around the computer when it was on. and was looking for some programs to scan the system. But it shuts down every min.

Then after a while the power supply LED light blinks. I called HP like 2 times, and they didn't really want to answer my question right. So I looked on there site and followed some steps of the power supply troubleshooting, I then take out the power from the mother board, and the light is steady on. I put it back in its blinking. What do you think I should do? I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard to see if thats it.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

When you first turn your PC on, do you get any strange beeps that werent there before you had the problem?

Try resetting your BIOS. On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system.

Done... Power supply LED light still blinks.

It very well could be your motherboard. Ill check around to see what I can find out. Motherboards arent the cheapest to buy especially from HP.

Could it be the PSU that might be causing the problem? I'd double check which is the culprit the mobo or the PSU. Obviously the Mobo is expensive to buy but may be the problem is with the PSU. Can you get your mobo checked by using another working PSU, if it works then may be the problem is the PSU and you ll be able to solve the problem a bit cheaper.

Raj

Hi there,

I have an M1270N doing the same thing (won't power on).
The power LED at the back blinks.
But if I remove the ATX power connector from the Mobo the power LED is lit steady.

The ATX power connector is a 24 pin not a 20 pin.

Did you find a solution to the problem?

FYI - mine stopped working after I blew the dust out :(

The PC is 4 years old.

Electrolytic capacitors in PCs degrade over time, which can cause bad things to happen. Other things like crystallized solder joints can open connections. And then there's dust ;^).

If you can afford it, get a new computer and transfer important data and programs from the old to a new PC.

Hi there,

I have an M1270N doing the same thing (won't power on).
The power LED at the back blinks.
But if I remove the ATX power connector from the Mobo the power LED is lit steady.

The ATX power connector is a 24 pin not a 20 pin.

Did you find a solution to the problem?

FYI - mine stopped working after I blew the dust out :(

did you shut it down before you blew it out ,unplug all power plugs and replug ,remove ram and reseet it ,
its possibly a bad power supply ,or even a bad motherboard ,remove all add-in pci cars ,and try again

Hello, I have a media center desktop PC for like 4 years, and yesterday a blue screen came up a few times about a hardware and software problem. Then today it does the something. I was going to look around the computer when it was on. and was looking for some programs to scan the system. But it shuts down every min.

Then after a while the power supply LED light blinks. I called HP like 2 times, and they didn't really want to answer my question right. So I looked on there site and followed some steps of the power supply troubleshooting, I then take out the power from the mother board, and the light is steady on. I put it back in its blinking. What do you think I should do? I'm thinking of getting a new motherboard to see if thats it.

I dont have LED blink issue but HP media center and similiar symptoms.

hmmm.

Hi,

I had the same problem.
I've replaced the power supply (450w)and woked fine for a while.
Gradually would fail to start at first power button push.
Now does not start at all, stays on the initial blue POST screen and does not go further.
I've tried to reset the CMOS but no results...unfortunately the mainbord is bad.
You can get a replacement here if you want to adventure replacingit yourself.
I'm in same situation...don't know if worth it...

Vlad

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.