I have this Dell that will not power on. When the power button is pressed it flashes orange. No sound or motion from any of the fans. The power light is on the mother board. So here is what i have done so far. Search dell web site, Fix suggest to call technical Support. Well the PC is out of warranty and they want $120 to start troubleshoot. Don't have the cash to waste and i doubt they would be able to fix the problem. Change the CMOS battery, still the same thing, remove the Memory, disconnected the Hard drive, the DVD drive. Change the CMOS switch to reset position ( don't know if that work as no display on the screen.) still the same orange flashing light.

Does any one have any other suggestion or fix for this.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

did you check the manual on the website

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3100/en/sm/adtshoot.htm#wp1124478

you should have 4 diagnostic lights on the computer under normal operation they light then turn off before the computer starts. look to see what they do now.

I have a similar, but slightly different, problem. I hope this is the right place to post it, as I've never posted here before.

The machine is a

Dell Dimension E310
No O.S. installed yet
512 Megs Memory (two chips)
On-board Video
Intel Pentium 4 Processor

Problems:

The diagnostic lights are of no help, because none of them are lit.

There is also no orange light, flashing or otherwise, on the front panel.

There is a solid orange light on the motherboard.

No fan activity unless I short pin 14 on the connector to neg when the connector is disconnected. When I do that PSU and CPU fans both come on, but nothing else happens.

No access to CMOS of course.

What's next?

I have a similar, but slightly different, problem. I hope this is the right place to post it, as I've never posted here before.

The machine is a

Dell Dimension E310
No O.S. installed yet
On-board Video

Problems:

No fan activity unless I short pin 14 on the connector to neg when the connector is disconnected. When I do that PSU and CPU fans both come on, but nothing else happens.

What's next?

you should realy start a new thread and then some one will be able to help you. but it sounds like you might have a problem with the power supply.

The machine is a

Dell Dimension E310
No O.S. installed yet
On-board Video

Problems:

What's next?

Had a Dell E310 come in with exact same problem. Checked all the things you did same results. Turns out the problem was zapped modem. They brought the computer in after lighting storm night before. The lighting came phone line into modem and shorted things out killing power. After removing the modem lights worked but think motherboard probaly damaged some too. Hard drive was still intact so was able to recover their documents and pictures. And they recovered cost from home owners insurance.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.