So, my boyfriend's Dell Latitude D610 won't turn on.

We've tried powering up with the battery adapter plugged in. We've tried it with it unplugged.

The the adapter itself seems to be fine.

When I press the power button the LED "power on" indicator comes on, and the the LED "battery adapter plugged-in" flashes once.... AND best of all....the LED "CAPS-lock" indicator comes on and flashes.

After 10 seconds everything shuts off.

We have done this repeatedly and nothing changes.

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Check to see if the battery is shorted.
Remove the battery and press the button on it to see if any charge exist on it. You should see all 5 leds light up. If 1 to 5 light up the battery may be ok.

if 1,3,5 light up the battery is bad.
if it flashes - the battery is bad

Try running the laptop without the battery - if it works normally - the battery MAY be the culprit.

Other issues could be, the DC jack on the laptop is getting a poor connection, and will need to be replaced.

If the CAP LOCKS flashes 4x - Try taking out 1 memory stick at a time and swap.

Don't any exert force to remove memory - That model has a rep for bad solder on memory connectors.

Hope that help, let us know how it turns out.

Thanks.

I checked the battery - it's fine. All 5 LEDs lit up.
I tried running it without the battery - same case as before.
I don't think it's the DC jack given the above.
CAPS-LOCK flashed 10 times, not 4. - There's only 1 memory stick too.

Any other ideas?

Check to see if the battery is shorted.
Remove the battery and press the button on it to see if any charge exist on it. You should see all 5 leds light up. If 1 to 5 light up the battery may be ok.

if 1,3,5 light up the battery is bad.
if it flashes - the battery is bad

Try running the laptop without the battery - if it works normally - the battery MAY be the culprit.

Other issues could be, the DC jack on the laptop is getting a poor connection, and will need to be replaced.

If the CAP LOCKS flashes 4x - Try taking out 1 memory stick at a time and swap.

Don't any exert force to remove memory - That model has a rep for bad solder on memory connectors.

Hope that help, let us know how it turns out.

Then it becomes an electronics problem on the motherboard and needs to be serviced. usually a bad MOSFET or Zener diode.

My laptop issue is almost the same as everyone elses,but not quite.6 months ago,tequila and orange juice spilt all over/around it.windows still loaded like a charm,but dvdburner,ethernet outlet,and wifi stopped working,permanently.Earlier this week my screen froze on me from out of nowhere.I turned it off and powered it back on manually.It comes on for 3-4 seconds everytoime and then shuts off.This is a repeative process over and over.On the 8-10th try,it will load windows,but will freeze completely again,for good.I wait it out.It still stays frozen.I just noticed my fan isn't coming on at all.It's a dell latitude d610.Give me specific insight on what the issue is.I want this thing up and running again,soon.

My laptop issue is almost the same as everyone elses,but not quite.6 months ago,tequila and orange juice spilt all over/around it.windows still loaded like a charm,but dvdburner,ethernet outlet,and wifi stopped working,permanently.Earlier this week my screen froze on me from out of nowhere.I turned it off and powered it back on manually.It comes on for 3-4 seconds everytoime and then shuts off.This is a repeative process over and over.On the 8-10th try,it will load windows,but will freeze completely again,for good.I wait it out.It still stays frozen.I just noticed my fan isn't coming on at all.It's a dell latitude d610.Give me specific insight on what the issue is.I want this thing up and running again,soon.

When the fan does not come on or initializes that can cause a P.O.S.T. to fail- if not the CPU becomes so hot, a shutdown signal is generated and system freezes to protect the CPU.

That motherboard needs a bath. As it seems the Southbridge is shorted somewhere. Thats why some things works and others not. The solution is to bathe it, removing all the sugars that are now dried and hardened. Some may short, others may blow traces under chips and the problem is never found. If you just have to have this repaired. Email me for specifics. I'm pretty sure I have a D610 mobo that works, if it had to be replaced.
My laptop hardware blog

To bathe a motherboard you need to remove from laptop and also remove DIMM1 and DIMM2 stickers.

Items needed-
Turkey or lasagna pan (aluminum)
2 - 16oz bottles of alcohol
1 qt of boiling water - Bottled water!!! (Aquafina works best- no minerals)
remove CPU and Ram

Place mobo in pan on flat surface or floor.
Pour boiling hot water over primary spill area- enough to cover entire board. Let sit and cool for 5 min.
Drain and repeat.
Air dry with compressed air
Rinse with alcohol (preferably denatured)
!!! WARNING: Highly Flammable!!!!
But 70-90% Isopropyl is good too.

The alcohol will mix with any water that is left over and evaporate quickly
Air dry again.

Wait a couple hours or sun dry.

Remove and place on bench
Test before installing-
Insert CPU
Insert Ram
Set CPU heatsink ontop of CPU. (if you need to have it temporarily anchored used 2 hex screws from the serial ports connector (they had to be removed to get the board out)
Connect Fan
Locate power button panel, and battery- attach and test

Turn it on. If it POST, connect HD and allow to boot.

It is important that all the liquid is dry!

I just got this same laptop for free from a friend because he says it doesnt work. The computer wont come on at all. The charger works fine, the light is alright but the computer wont come up with anything if the charger is put in it. I think its the motherboard and i heard its a simple fix with a soldering iron. Is this true or do i have to buy a new motherboard?

nevermind, i have no idea what laptop this is, on the back it says latitude C510/C610 so im totally lost

This thread is now closed. If you need it reopened, please send a PM to one of our Mods.

Include the link to the thread and detail why you need it reopened.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.