Ok, A buddy of mine recently asked me o fix his pc that some idiot custom built for him. I have worked on hundreds of computers starting when I was only 9 years old. Never found a computer that I couldn't fix. I have my A+, MCP and I'm also a college student for network administration.

The way the computer was running I deemed it a hardware issue and told him that he would need to replace his motherboard to fix the problem. It seemed that the processer wasn't pulling information from the ram the right way seeing as fedora core 6 was running INCREDIBLY slow with many errors.

He told me to dissasemble the PC and save whatever hardware was good. While I was dissaembling it I noticed that the douche bag who built the computer didn't set the processor in the socket all the way and there were some pins that were not in. So i reset the processor in the socket and figured that was the problem. While I was disssembling the computer I had taken the CMOS battery out. I put eveyrthing back in including the Battery and when I started the coputer it got an error that said syste, date not set or bad checksum. Plus the computer is not taking any input from the ps/2 keyboard, although the lights on the keyboard to light up when the computer starts. I cleared the CMOS by moving the jumper on the motherboard to position 1-2 and then put it back to position 2-3. Now whenever I start the computer it freezes at the post for a few minutes then goes to a message that says "default BIOS setting used" or something to that effect. I cann't use f1 to enter the BIOS or anything.

Any ideas?

the pc specs are as follows:

p4 2.6ghz with HT
2 GB DDR 2700.
250GB HDD.
DVD Burner.

The board was a pull from a HP PC and it has Intel Chipset.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

If checksum fails, the BIOS reverts to using its built-in default settings.

A system crash or electrical spike can corrupt the BIOS file. Is the MB seated correctly?

Also, you might want to check your MB battery.

You may find that the BIOS chip may need to be reflashed, reprogrammed, or replaced. Which is bad news!!! :( Time for a new MB

hello
Is the key board you are using USB? if it is you might need to change to PS/2 that is assuming that the BIOS system is too old. but all the same try using a PS/2 keyboard and see what happens. then if it works you can access the BIOS and make any changes you deem necessary.:icon_lol:

No I listed up above the type of keyboard it is. It is a ps2 keyboard and I have tried a few different ones to make sure my keyboard wasn't faulty. When the computer turns on the lights on the keyboard do light up so there is power getting to it... but the computer just doesnt want to take input from it. The Mobo is seated correctly and and the battery is new. I reset the CMOS and I guess the only thign I have left to do is to flash the bios. Does anyone have ny idea on how to do this. I have flashed the Bios on systems before but they were complete systems by dell and hp and I was able to get the proper flash off the website. All i know is that the motherboard is a pull from a HP PC and it has an Intel chipset.

No I listed up above the type of keyboard it is. It is a ps2 keyboard and I have tried a few different ones to make sure my keyboard wasn't faulty. When the computer turns on the lights on the keyboard do light up so there is power getting to it... but the computer just doesnt want to take input from it. The Mobo is seated correctly and and the battery is new. I reset the CMOS and I guess the only thign I have left to do is to flash the bios. Does anyone have ny idea on how to do this. I have flashed the Bios on systems before but they were complete systems by dell and hp and I was able to get the proper flash off the website. All i know is that the motherboard is a pull from a HP PC and it has an Intel chipset.

The precise details for recovering from a corrupted BIOS varies for the different BIOS distributions, but typically involve recovering a working version of BIOS code from a floppy disk/CD when corrupt.

This would be a good site for you to refer to http://www.wimsbios.com/faq.jsp

Well I need to figure out what type of BIOS my board has. All I know is that it was a pull from a HP system because during the POST is the " HP Invent" screen... the BIOS chip itself is not removable and it attached to the board and there is a sticker on it that "Stingray". Would it have anything to do with the Chipset? It has an Intel chipset thats all I know. I really have no problem flashing the BIOS, because either way the board is going in the trash. If I can't find a BIOS flash: Trash. If I mess up the BIOS flash: Trash.

A freind of mine who has a degree in Computer Programming as Well as Network Administration told me one other thing I could try was to push the power button and hold it in to turn the computer off 3 times. He said most modern BIOS's will recognize that it is not booting. On the 4th time he told me to hold in the Ctrl+End keys and I would hear a series of beeps and the CMOS would completely clear itself. He told me I couldn't have anything plugged in other than the keyoboard. Well I tried it and it didn't work for me.

Any other sugegstions would be nice. After all that why I'm here.

-Josh

The precise details for recovering from a corrupted BIOS varies for the different BIOS distributions, but typically involve recovering a working version of BIOS code from a floppy disk/CD when corrupt.

This would be a good site for you to refer to http://www.wimsbios.com/faq.jsp

Oh btw, thanks Darren2005, that site was pretty helpful. It didn't really give me a whole lot of options for my situation, but I did learn quite a bit about BIOS in general, things that I didn't know.

Well I need to figure out what type of BIOS my board has. All I know is that it was a pull from a HP system because during the POST is the " HP Invent" screen... the BIOS chip itself is not removable and it attached to the board and there is a sticker on it that "Stingray". Would it have anything to do with the Chipset? It has an Intel chipset thats all I know. I really have no problem flashing the BIOS, because either way the board is going in the trash. If I can't find a BIOS flash: Trash. If I mess up the BIOS flash: Trash.

A freind of mine who has a degree in Computer Programming as Well as Network Administration told me one other thing I could try was to push the power button and hold it in to turn the computer off 3 times. He said most modern BIOS's will recognize that it is not booting. On the 4th time he told me to hold in the Ctrl+End keys and I would hear a series of beeps and the CMOS would completely clear itself. He told me I couldn't have anything plugged in other than the keyoboard. Well I tried it and it didn't work for me.

Any other sugegstions would be nice. After all that why I'm here.

-Josh

Thought that site would be useful to you!

You really need to find out what MB you have in order to go forward with this.

There is a "Stingray" MB with the model PTS73 (see http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec_ic_motherboard_PTS73_layout&ppn=PC14104001)

Thought that site would be useful to you!

You really need to find out what MB you have in order to go forward with this.

There is a "Stingray" MB with the model PTS73 (see http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec_ic_motherboard_PTS73_layout&ppn=PC14104001)

Hmmm... I know my board is a HP pull because of the "HP Invent" POST screen, but it's not that packard bell, I don't have pci express. Although the board is new enough that it has serial ATA. All I know it that is has an intel chipset, and there is a sticker on the bios chip (which I'm pretty sure is the BIOS chip) (it right in between the battery and the jumper to reset the CMOS) that says stingray.

What would be the easiest way to figure out what kind of board I have? There were tools on that site that darren2005 posted, but they require the OS to be running...
My buddy Mark gave me a wonderful little disc called Hiren's Boot CD which has hundreds of little tools on it including analyzers which should tell me what hardware I'm using in great detail... I just gotta figure out how to get the pc to boot from the CD drive...

*siiiigh*... fuck my life...

Hmmm... I know my board is a HP pull because of the "HP Invent" POST screen, but it's not that packard bell, I don't have pci express. Although the board is new enough that it has serial ATA. All I know it that is has an intel chipset, and there is a sticker on the bios chip (which I'm pretty sure is the BIOS chip) (it right in between the battery and the jumper to reset the CMOS) that says stingray.

What would be the easiest way to figure out what kind of board I have? There were tools on that site that darren2005 posted, but they require the OS to be running...
My buddy Mark gave me a wonderful little disc called Hiren's Boot CD which has hundreds of little tools on it including analyzers which should tell me what hardware I'm using in great detail... I just gotta figure out how to get the pc to boot from the CD drive...

*siiiigh*... fuck my life...

Is there no version/model number on the "Stingray" chip? Also, there should be a model/version number on the MB chipset. If so, you might be able to find out what BIOS you need from that.

You might also find the BIOS version when the system first starts-up (above or below a logo - if applicable).

To be honest, you might end up trashing this MB!

Yea I'm allready a step ahead of you Darren... I allready trashed it. I kinda like the smell of silicone on a charcoal grill... lol :)

Yea I'm allready a step ahead of you Darren... I allready trashed it. I kinda like the smell of silicone on a charcoal grill... lol :)

LOL... Like the way you think! :twisted:

The problem may be with the controller of keyboards PS/2 jack. Did you give a USB keyboard try?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.