Hey everyone. I woke up this morning and turned on my computer and everything worked fine. I realized that my computer was displaying the wrong date and I remembered my old computer's BIOS having an option to change the system date. With that, I restarted my computer and opened up the BIOS and changed the date one day back, saved the changes, and then shut down. When I powered it back up, it shut itself off for about 4 seconds and then booted back up...only to shut itself off after 4 seconds again. When the computer start's up, there's not even enough time to get to the windows startup and anything like that. Just a black screen.

I ran a search on my problem and found that some people were able to diagnose the problem by taking everything out besides the CPU and RAM. I started with taking out my video card (which is about a week old) and then powered the computer up. This time, it didn't force itself into a never ending cycle of restarts- it stayed on! The thing is, it wasn't showing anything on the monitor. I thought that I figured out what was wrong, when I put the card back in and then took one stick of RAM out. I powered it back up, and it stayed on (still nothing on monitor). Bottom line, these restarts seem to be inevitable when all my hardware is in, but when I take anything out, it seems to stay on- but sometimes it doesn't. It's completely random. Does anyone know anything that I can do to at least diagnose the problem? I would really like to eliminate this problem, though :D. Thanks, everyone.

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

You could try restoring default setting in BIOS.

Could you post your system specs? put a (new) next to any hardware you have added please.

Nvidia 9800GT Video Card (NEW)
Two sticks of Corsair RAM (1gb each)
AMD Phenom Processor
Nvidia 8200 Motherboard
500w Power Supply.

Am I missing anything?

You could try restoring default setting in BIOS.

And how do you do that without being able to see anything on the screen?

Are you not presented with the option to enter BIOS?

Nope. Nothing shows up on the screen when it does decide to stay on.

Okay and you can't get back into BIOS like when you reset the time/date?

Nope. I mean, NOTHING at all shows up on the screen.

Have you got the monitor plugged into the new card or the old one.

Yep. The monitor is plugged in to the new video card which is hooked up and everything. I suppose I could try plugging it into the motherboard instead (it has an onboard video card).

Did this problem arise as soon as you installed the graphics card?

Yeah, just tried every combination (I have dual monitors) and nothing happened. This is frustrating D:

Sorry, no. I installed the graphics card last week and already had the software. The thing worked like a dream up until this morning.

You may need to clear the cmos

That has something to do with the jumper or whatever on the motherboard, correct?

Thats right, This should clear the BIOS of any changes you have made.

Having a hard time finding it >.> as I can't find the layout chart D:

just remove the onboard battery for a bit it will reset bios to defaults,or look for jumper ,its usually near the battery

check RAM

Check post date.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.