Have you DISABLED the network booting options in your bios? not just in the startup options, but int the Full SETUP options in the BIOS.

You can't go safe mode. Safe mode is something you can only et to when you boot into th pre-installation environment in windows. This error is still occurring insde the pre-operating system environment. I ca help you out later if needs be - I just jumped on quickly and need to get gone again, But I just want yo uto know that help is around. I will get back as soon as I can.

I did it...but now something far worse...it is simply saying "Operating system not found"

:(

edit and forget

Nice one, Caperjack - been A while since I have been around, missed your humour!

@Birde
Very interesting...
No chance that you have disabled your HDD?

I have just re-read your first post, Birde.
This is the point that you enable the PC to boot from CD/DVD and load the OS onto the machine, FROM the CD.

In other words, congratulations, you just set the PC Hardware up correctly. Please Proceed to load Windows onto the machine.

Note, XP comes on a CD, Win 7 comes on a DVD. You need a DVD reader to load Win7. If you come back saying "but I'm trying to put Vista on it", My question is "WHY"?

How to install WinXP

How to install Windos 7:

"Edit and forget" ?? I don't get it

I bought my notebook with win7 already on it...I don't have a DVD to use.

"Edit and forget" ?? I don't get it

I bought my notebook with win7 already on it...I don't have a DVD to use.

i had posted something,and changed my mind ,so just in case someone read it while it was there, edit and forget[it]sorry to add confusion .

this thread was started 5 yrs ago and the fix is still the same

Sadly the fix doesnt work for me, or I wouldn't be here asking for help :P

I have Toshiba SATELLITE 1405-S151 bios rev 1.3
this is what worked for me in bios i set
boot order to FDD-HDD-CD-LAN
network boot protocol=RPL
built in lan =Disabled

my guess is there are multiple problems and this may not work for all.but its easy
and worth a try

Network boot loader BIOS error messages and explanations:

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-NIC_1.22_for_Add-on_NIC_Cards/Intel/LAN/APPS/BOOTAGNT/DOCS/ba_msgs.htm

It usually means you're stuck in a network boot loader.

You can disable it in BIOS or it might have it's own BIOS, accessed via ctrl-s (sometimes) and setting "local boot" to "enable.

If this worked for you, leave me praise on my blog:

http://mixmaster.webs.com/apps/guestbook/

the disable in bios option has been mentioned a few times in this thread already ,but good link thanks.
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-NIC_1.22_for_Add-on_NIC_Cards/Intel/LAN/APPS/BOOTAGNT/DOCS/ba_msgs.htm

how do i setup proliant hp ml350 server

Hello there,
My laptop is dead i think , it gives PXE failure, MOF...... , when I try to install fresh copy .it will go till setup"Install" when I click it, it will just hanf and stay in Limbo.It wont boot from USB- even i tried it. Im sick , can somebody will help before I knock for repairs

I have a dell inspiron 710m and it has no sound at speakers,but when I plug head phones in,it works fine. I ran DOS test and it can back media failure,check cables,what does this mean.

I have an acer travelmate 290 laptop on xp. I used a partition software to merge my two drives as one. but this at first didnt cause any problems. Instead it shut off and shut on fine without troubles. Then all of a sudden as I'm surfing web my laptop shuts off. So I figure no big deal, I'll just turn it on again. Next thing I know it is in a continious loop that I can't break telling me "media test failure" "Check cable" "exiting pxe rom". Then it shuts down. And restarts and does this forever. I want to try one of the solutions mentioned here but I wouldn't know where to begin to actually do any of them because I know absolutely nothing about computers other then surfing the web and email. I try to press F2 to go to the settings when it's starting but that doesn't do anything. I tried loading a restore disk but that doesn't do anything except stop the computer from shutting down and restarting and staying on but with the screen turning completely dark/off and then I can't see anything. What do I do? Please walk me step by step. Thank you.

Sincerely
Sincerely Frustrated.

whenever i started my computer it gives the message

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-MOF: Existing Intel Boot Agent
1962: No operating system found
press F1 to repeat boot sequence

what might be the problem

2 devices on the same channel (IDE) both set to Master - try resetting one of the to slave or moving to another channel autogether. Failing that check your cables are in the right way around

So don't mind this is an old thread! Just need most basic answers! Know 0 about comp's but trying at least! Have a Gateway 7320gz laptop. Have no disk/cd to fall back on! I get enter hard disk password-no clue what PW is! Then get same error code as all above PXE-E61 Media Test Failure Check Cables! Maddening! NOW finally back to BIOS SETUP UTILITY page-doing all CMOS settings I know how to-like resetting time, date, passwords, etc. NOW IM PRAYING SOMEONE ANSWERS QUICKLY B/C I'M STUCK! On this setup labels on top go from "Standard, Advanced, Security, Boot, & then Exit." I'm stuck on "BOOT" from all I've read on this thread b/c my options are different! Mine start at Silent Boot, 1st-4th Boot Devices w/ options "Disable, IDE HDD, FDD, CD/DVD, and Network." PLEASE FORGIVE BUT I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE ABBREVIATIONS STAND FOR-like IDE HDD OR FDD? JUST NEED 2 KNOW ORDER? Can plug an airfare up to USB or in back, would that help? Last thing, anyway 2 save all info that once was on my laptop? Thank you! Sorry if I sound stupid, just a woman who is at least trying u know? Thanks again!!!!

So don't mind this is an old thread! Just need most basic answers! Know 0 about comp's but trying at least! Have a Gateway 7320gz laptop. Have no disk/cd to fall back on! I get enter hard disk password-no clue what PW is! Then get same error code as all above PXE-E61 Media Test Failure Check Cables! Maddening! NOW finally back to BIOS SETUP UTILITY page-doing all CMOS settings I know how to-like resetting time, date, passwords, etc. NOW IM PRAYING SOMEONE ANSWERS QUICKLY B/C I'M STUCK! On this setup labels on top go from "Standard, Advanced, Security, Boot, & then Exit." I'm stuck on "BOOT" from all I've read on this thread b/c my options are different! Mine start at Silent Boot, 1st-4th Boot Devices w/ options "Disable, IDE HDD, FDD, CD/DVD, and Network." PLEASE FORGIVE BUT I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE ABBREVIATIONS STAND FOR-like IDE HDD OR FDD? JUST NEED 2 KNOW ORDER? Can plug an aircard up to USB or in back, would that help? Last thing, anyway 2 save all info that once was on my laptop? Thank you! Sorry if I sound stupid, just a woman who is at least trying u know? Thanks again!!!!

hi there, happy to help you with this, and yes, I know all the bits you are talking about. I need to go back a step first: What are you trying to achieve, and by the sounds of it, you've never had this computer running before.

basically what you are loking at (pxe-e61 media test failure:) is this:
the computer tries to boot off all of the different types of devices in the order set out in the BIOS/CMOS: usually it's set to CD/DVD first, then Hard drives (HDD), Then Network drives (for corporate installations). IDE and SATA are the two types of hard drive available on the market. IDE has a wide flat ribbon with about 20 strands in it that connets the HDD to to motherboard, and SATA is (usually) a 'red' cable about the same size as a usb type cable. (I just realised you said laptop, so forget that bit about the cables)

the HDD is password protected in the BIOS/CMOS, therefore the computer cannot access it to try and load the operating system (windows/linux/whatever you have)

silent boot hides the diagnostic screen at startup (all the lines of code the computer spits out before it starts windows).
FDD is 1.44" Floppy drive. you can disable that.
Network or PXE boot, you can disable that.
CD/DVD is used when installing windows on a computer the first time, or for running repair utilities - all for a CD when windows won't boot. With the HDD being passeworded, it won't help you much at this stage.

You need to get past the HDD password. either try a different HDD, or else you will need to clear all of the CMOS settings at the hardware level. that means pulling the laptop apart. think 'special tools and hours of frustration'.

I know that's not what you want to hear, but at least I can equip you with what you need to prepare for.

HEADS UP:
Usually, when I come across this situation in my shop, it screams 'stolen computer', so if you bought this cheap from somewhere and that person can't or won't give you the password to the HDD, then I'd be reporting it to someone because at that stage it's sounding suspicious.

Thank you Mate for professional help so easy to do working perfect you safe my day :)
when you get a "'PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM message" you are booting to PXE through bios. Turn off Network booting in bios entirely, and make sure that in your boot sequence, cd rom and hard drive are first. Network should be last in the boot sequence or not enabled at all.

So again, Go into Bios, and turn off Network booting. Make sure that your boot sequence goes cdrom-->hard drive. When you get a PXE message it's because you have network booting enabled.

Intel undi pxe-2.1(Build 082)
Realtek Rtl8111b/8111(Gigabit ethernet controller v2.13(071227)
client mac addr:00 19 d1 ff s8 f5
guid: 17ce3378-6788-11dc-9b54-0011d85ff15c
pxe-e53:no boot filename received.
HOW TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM PLZ PLZ "ANS"
MY EMAIL ID:PrasadThakur730@gmail.com

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.