My laptop keeps shutting down when I try to turn it on. It will always stay on until the XP's loading screen appears(the screen where there is a bar kinda thing that makes it look like its loading). It does turn on sometimes but after when it shuts off, I have to do random stupid things like move the power cord, take it out the power outlet and put it back in and then it will suddenly start working. My laptop is about 3 years old from HP and as far as I know, the charger and batteries are out dated.

The battery is completely dead and the charger wire is not broken anywhere. I don't get why this is happening.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

operating systems on a lap top need a working good battery if you keep on powering it with a charger it will probably crash in future due to the loss of power when you unplug it

kind of sounds like you have a bad power jack on the laptop ,where the cord plug in ,if you have to wiggle it to get it to work it likely need to be replaced or re-soldered on the motherboard ,my Daughters Compaq went at about 3 yrs old, the jack and poweradapter that is not the battery,it is also possible that the battery[not likely though ] and the power adapter are both bad after 3 yrs !

kind of sounds like you have a bad power jack on the laptop ,where the cord plug in ,if you have to wiggle it to get it to work it likely need to be replaced or re-soldered on the motherboard ,my Daughters Compaq went at about 3 yrs old, the jack and poweradapter that is not the battery,it is also possible that the battery[not likely though ] and the power adapter are both bad after 3 yrs !

The battery being bad after 3 years is actually more likely than the power adapter being broke. Although I don't have any numbers for proof so take that as an opinion. However the battery is likely Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) to which whether or not they've been used they start deteriorating from the go, internal resistence means they lose how much charge they can hold whether or not they are being used, his battery is very possibly older than his 3 year laptop to which if that is true then it'll have had longer to deteriorate, if the battery is also exposed to abnormally high temperature that also shortens the lifetime, eventually the battery won't be able to hold any charge & the laptop will require to be plugged into the mains at all times unless a replacement battery is installed.

Just thought I would add that. :)

The battery being bad after 3 years is actually more likely than the power adapter being broke. Although I don't have any numbers for proof so take that as an opinion. However the battery is likely Lithium Ion (Li-Ion) to which whether or not they've been used they start deteriorating from the go, internal resistence means they lose how much charge they can hold whether or not they are being used, his battery is very possibly older than his 3 year laptop to which if that is true then it'll have had longer to deteriorate, if the battery is also exposed to abnormally high temperature that also shortens the lifetime, eventually the battery won't be able to hold any charge & the laptop will require to be plugged into the mains at all times unless a replacement battery is installed.

Just thought I would add that. :)

power adapter maybe broke , Im referring to the power jack that is built into the motherbaoard, my laptop had a short in the power jack and melted the tip of the power adapter,therefor it would not charge the battery, so any thing is possible

,i never said his power adapter was broke ,Im referring to the power jack that is built into the motherbaoard

I misread the beginning of your post, it happens. (To which you do mention at the end of your post about the battery & the power adapter both going bad) Although for the most part my post mainly were focusing on adding information on the battery to which you stated unlikely the cause. While I'm not disagreeing with you on it not necessarily being the battery, I felt it necessary to add onto why it *could* be.

I do agree with you that it possibly is the power jack that has went bye bye.

Hi ,not meaning to argue with you but, if you are not disagreeing with me,and just making a comment, then don't use the quote ,just add a comment . bye bye !

Hi ,not meaning to argue with you but, if you are not disagreeing with me,and just making a comment, then don't use the quote ,just add a comment . bye bye !

I would have, while I weren't disagreeing with you as a whole, I were addressing something you said hence the quote. It is no big deal though, I agree it could possibly be the power jack like you said, my comment adds information about why I think it could likely be the battery when you said it were unlikely. (Which is why I quoted you, if I were adding on without any relation to what you said I wouldn't have quoted you)

it is also possible that the battery[not likely though ]

That is the part exactly that I were replying too. I weren't disagreeing with the rest, I added on general information related to that sentence in your reply. So can we just leave this be now? :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.