I am on an Acer running XP Pro and keep getting reboots. I can get in safe mode ok.

I have done the following:
I first eliminated any virus or malware possibilities.
I reseated as well as eliminated each mem stick ..same result
sometime, it takes about 5 tries to boot in safe because it stops loading after the mup load
I researched this and it points to devices or drivers or memory
I ran memtest for 2 hours with no errors
I went to msconfig and unchecked all startup listings
Still same result.
If the power supply was bad, wouldn't it lock up after running 2 hrs in safe?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hii

i think you should go for a SYSTEM RESTORE as this might stop the pc reboot fever

If it works in safe mode it is obviously not an essential hardware error. Maybe a non essential error, such as networking or something, in which case it wouldn't cause a system restart. If something on your motherboard is fried, then your PC would pick it up on POST during startup. Your pc should inform you if a device is not functional.

It can then only be software. It is most likely some kind of virus, whether your anti-virus picks it up or not. Otherwise it could be some essential system files that are corrupt.

The first possible solution is to do a system restore to undo any installations. Otherwise you would need to do a format and reinstall your operating system to eliminate corruption errors. This does occasionally happen with XP, it requires a reload every once in a while.

Be careful though, if it was a virus then it has most likely spread into your data and making a back up will move the virus to your new system. If its just your operating system then you should be able to keep your data with no worries

my computer is always restarting with safe mood and normal mood, so how can i solve it?

i didnt get your question. if computer is getting in normal mode its okk naa.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.