hi everyone!

my gateway laptop got the blue screen of death a couple of times. i pulled the battery and plug and recharged it. the most recent time i did that was last night. today i open it and it wouldn't start it, it was waiting by the blank screen that comes right before i see the desktop.

i restarted it and was greeted with: run windows repair. i chose that. it said that it might take several minutes and it might restart several times in the process. it took several minutes to "find problems" and then it began to "repair them." a while later i noticed that the laptop had restarted - but now it is stuck on that green bar that you see right when you turn it on. i left it in the hopes that it would continue.

for the past 4 hours all i see on my screen is the green bar and the words microsoft corporation (it is the screen that flashes for about 2 seconds when any computer is turned on, after which the comp starts). i pulled the battery and opened it up in safe mode. safe mode took me automatically to the system repair and i let that run but when i looked back some hours later i saw that it had restarted itself and was on the green-bar-screen again. no matter how i open it, safe mode, regular, system repair, whatever, it stops by that screen.

i called customer service and some indian gave me crap about how my warranty is expired (it is not even a yr old now).

can someone give me advice on what to do please? thanks a lot.

Well, the good news is that your computer isn't completely dead. Which version of Windows are you running?

Whatever Windows is doing to repair itself, it isn't working. The first thing I would recommend you do is boot into another operating system and back up whatever data you need to before attempting to fix things hap-hazardly. If you're able to download and burn a CD on another computer a live CD such as Knoppix will do the trick.

If you're not able to get ahold of another OS to boot into, don't have any data that really needs to be backed up or have never used Linux before then you can skip straight ahead to fixing your operating system. Do you have the CD for your copy of Windows? Booting and running a repair from that CD would be a first thing to try. Failing that you may need to completely remove your version of windows and re-install.

Edit: Also, be nice to the underpaid Indian gentlemen on the other end of the line. I can almost guarantee that he gets abuse all day every day when all he does is type your name into a computer and reads back what it tells him.

Well, the good news is that your computer isn't completely dead. Which version of Windows are you running?

Whatever Windows is doing to repair itself, it isn't working. The first thing I would recommend you do is boot into another operating system and back up whatever data you need to before attempting to fix things hap-hazardly. If you're able to download and burn a CD on another computer a live CD such as Knoppix will do the trick.

If you're not able to get ahold of another OS to boot into, don't have any data that really needs to be backed up or have never used Linux before then you can skip straight ahead to fixing your operating system. Do you have the CD for your copy of Windows? Booting and running a repair from that CD would be a first thing to try. Failing that you may need to completely remove your version of windows and re-install.

Edit: Also, be nice to the underpaid Indian gentlemen on the other end of the line. I can almost guarantee that he gets abuse all day every day when all he does is type your name into a computer and reads back what it tells him.

Thanks. I have Vista. How do I boot from another OS?
LOL about the Indian, he was quite nice and very polite so I just thanked him and went straight to Google :)

There are a couple of OSes out there that you can use for recovery - the biggest one I know of is Knoppix. Am I right in presuming you do have data that you want to backup on your PC? Have you used a Linux OS before?

Have you tried running a recovery from your Vista CD? That should be your first step. As far as I can remember there are several recovery options on the Vista CD for you to try. Failing any success with that, I'd recommend you move on to trying to backup your data and doing a fresh, clean install on a newly blanked hard drive. That also has the added bonus of removing all the junk you accumulate over the years with any version of Windows.

Here's a link to the Knoppix website: http://www.knoppix.org/ You would need to simply download the CD image, burn it to a CD and put the CD in the drive when you boot up your computer.

Like I said, though, if you haven't used Linux before there may be a bit of a learning curve you have to endure simply to backup your data. You'll also need some form of storage such as a USB pen drive to hold anything you want to backup.

well, thanks everyone for your help
im on vacation now so when i get back home this week i will try to use my vista cd

kilcros - i have tons of data that isn't backed up, and no i have never used Linux before.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.