Hi there!

Last week my laptop stopped booting. I hit the ON button and I get the Power light, the battery light (if not on AC) and the HD light (for around 10 seconds) but the screen stays black. It would turn on if I left it off for a few hours but now it has gotten to the point where it never boots.

There are numerous fixes that I have tried. Applying pressure to the RAM, removing one RAM module, switching them around.. All to no avail. Sony Techs told me to remove the battery and AC cord and hold the power button for 30 secs and then reconnect the AC cord and try again but this didnt work.

The laptop is around a year and a half old.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo T8100
Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT
4GB DDR2 RAM
HD 200GB
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

Can anyone help?

Regards,
Jon

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

one day i was using my sony vaio laptop, and it wouldnt shut down properly so i just turned it off. so the next day when i turned on my computer it asked me if i wanted to start windows normally and i clicked yes and it was going to the log on page and stuff, but then it went to a black page. my laptop is still on since i see the buttons blinking, and somehow i can move my cursor too. But it is just a black screen and i cannnot do anything. and the laptop does not seem to output any sound.

SO PLEASE CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT I CAN DO TO FIX IT?! D:

First try to test the laptop with a working DDR2 RAm module. If this doesn't work, its most likely a motherboard problem. NVIDIA geforce based laptops generally fail after a year due to repeated overheating of the GPU. This is due to a bad design by NVIDIA for cooling the GPU and this leads to the solder joints of the GPU to fail. If this is the case only a laptop repair centre having good expertise in BGA rewok can fix it. No authorized service centre generally can fix this sort of problem.

Hello, I have the same problem, How did you solve?
Thanks!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.