I just built a new system with a Radeon 9600xt graphics card and everything was working great until I started trying to play certain games. The computer crashes when I play Max Payne2 and other games with similar system requirements. I tried installing updated drivers but that didnt help. The only thing I can think of is that it is overheating. The fan on the card is working and my case is well ventilated, so I ruled out the overheating. Is anyone having similar problems or could possibly offer a solution.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Im having the same dam problem. I took off one side of the case and bought a new fan the games seemed to work fine but then it started doing the same thing, but sometimes I can hear the sound go out and then my pc restarts I dont know if its my cpu or power supply
I have a Asus 9600XT
2.2GHz Celeron
250watt power supply
754MB DDR

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply but I finaly figured it out. It was just the AGP speed was set to 8X and since the games I was playing dont run that fast it was stalling. I have messed around with every setting imaginable and that seems to be the only one that worked. I hope that works for someone else too because I know how much it was frustrating me.

Good that you have it working, I found that Max Payne 2 has a known issue of crashing during level transitions and they are working on a patch for it- pissed me off that I have to wait for the patch to get farther in the game.

Hey, I seem to be having the same problem, and I'm thinking of trying to lower the speed of my card to see if that will fix it. How and where did you find the option to turn down the speed of your card? Or did you use a seperate program?

Hey, I seem to be having the same problem, and I'm thinking of trying to lower the speed of my card to see if that will fix it. How and where did you find the option to turn down the speed of your card? Or did you use a seperate program?

I have this same problem, computer seams to freeze on games, not just sertain games, it use to but now it dose for all games... even old and new. iv check Temp of pc all seams to be good, iv reinstalled drivers for sound cuz sometimes sound screw up before freeze, and i reinstall video drivers, i also reinstalled DirectX. i couldnt figure it out thats why im here :(.

it seams u guys have a Low Power supply like me, could it posabley be a Power problem like not enough power. i only have a 300watt, with alot of stuff in computer, a DVD driver, amd 2800, 1gb ram, tv card, 8x video card, 2 Hds.

I have this same problem, computer seams to freeze on games, not just sertain games, it use to but now it dose for all games... even old and new. iv check Temp of pc all seams to be good, iv reinstalled drivers for sound cuz sometimes sound screw up before freeze, and i reinstall video drivers, i also reinstalled DirectX. i couldnt figure it out thats why im here :(.

it seams u guys have a Low Power supply like me, could it posabley be a Power problem like not enough power. i only have a 300watt, with alot of stuff in computer, a DVD driver, amd 2800, 1gb ram, tv card, 8x video card, 2 Hds.

sure wouldn't hurt to get a bigger psu,also make sure the fan on the video card is working if it has one as it should ,

Thanks to everyone who posted a reply but I finaly figured it out. It was just the AGP speed was set to 8X and since the games I was playing dont run that fast it was stalling. I have messed around with every setting imaginable and that seems to be the only one that worked. I hope that works for someone else too because I know how much it was frustrating me.

I have what seems like the same problem as you, can you tell me how to change the AGP speed? thanks

How'd you that? same problem here, my video card is 512 pci - E,
how to set the speed of your video card? my computer freezes when I'm playing cabal, only that game, but now even dota freezes my pc, it really freaks me out, so annoying,..

BIOSTAR 7100 MOBO w Onboard Nvidia 7100 Chipset
Q9300 2.5 GHZ Core 2 Quad 6mb Cache
4gb Cosair DDR2 Memory
NVIDIA 9500 GT 512 MB RAM PCI-E
(1) WD 160GB HDD
(1) WD 650GB HDD
21in DELL FP Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

I have had issues with this PC since ive built it a year or so ago. I originally thought it was a faulty video card but i have tried on board video and my old 6600 GT (which is a champion I accidentally stepped on it and broke the fan connections to the heatsink so i jerry rigged it with a wire to hold it on lol) BUT anyway it does it on both of these cards. So then i thought maybe its ram. Ran MEMTEST and there are no errors. I have reinstalled windows 3 times. First time was due to a processor change. I had a 7300 and it died after only a little over a year so i put the Q9300 in and every game was choppy so i reinstalled and it fixed that. But now it randomly hangs. Most noticably during game play. Im begining to think MOBO.

Here is a summary of all my troubleshooting steps so far.

1) Tried new video cards.
2) Checked RAM with memtest.
3)Re-installed OS
4)Re-installed everygame
5)Tried different keyboards , Mice , Even monitor.

Things to try now.....

Re-install a 32bit OS , not sure why this would be a issue but its worth a try since theres really no performance change.
If this dosent work try to install Windows XP.

Check Hard Drives.

Try to install os on another HDD.

Get exact time computer hangs and check APPLICATION log.

Please any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. As well as any comments or anything about BIOSTAR mobos. I think the MOBO is just a pos (pardon me).

:@

my com freezes when i play games what can i do? thanks for any help.

my com freezes when i play games what can i do? thanks for any help.

You can either stop playing games, or start your own thread :).

ok i found out this problem was caused by a over heating video card.
every time i would test it the video card temp would look fine.
so i ran a test and temp got very hot to 110C*+ but i stoped around 110.
I under clocked my video card and that seem to keep my temps down and no more freeze on games.

I have a problem with my computer it also freezes when i play any game it is really annoying!!!! I had this problem since I got this new computer!!! My computer itself freezes!

that's really great Klejeune that you got the answer to your problem and also it would be a point for all of us here. If next time I got such problem with me then I will try out this one first of all :D

I have a problem with my computer it also freezes when i play any game it is really annoying!!!! I had this problem since I got this new computer!!! My computer itself freezes!

Does your computer meet the system requirements of the game. Is your antivirus blocking the games or scanning them in the background as you play. If that is the case, your antivirus might slow down your game and cause your computer to freeze. What antivirus are you using?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.