On my Dell D600, a white screen appears and asks for the primary or admin password.
These numbers appear with it, #1QL3Z51-595B

I have called Dell and they wanted the service tag but only have 6 numbers of it being that part of it is missing.

I really don t want to take it apart, can someone please help.

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Did you buy it from another person? or did you put the admin password by mistake?

Hi,
Try this from your owners manual:-
NOTE: If you cannot see anything on your display, you can hold down the mute button and press the power button (instead of F12) to begin the Dell Diagnostics. You do not need to highlight Diagnostics and press <Enter>. The computer automatically runs the Pre-boot System Assessment.

Turn on the computer. When the DELL™ logo appears, press <F12> immediately. If you wait too long and the Microsoft® Windows® logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Windows desktop. Then shut down your computer and try again.

When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press <Enter>.

The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display.

During the assessment, answer any questions that appear.

If a component failure is detected, the computer stops and beeps. To stop the assessment and reboot to the operating system, press <N>; to continue to the next test, press <Y>; to retest the component that failed, press <R>.

If failures are detected during the Pre-boot System Assessment, write down the error code(s) and contact Dell before continuing on to the Dell Diagnostics.

If you receive a message stating that no Diagnostics utility partition has been found, follow the instructions on the screen to run the Dell Diagnostics from your Drivers and Utilities CD.

If the Pre-boot System Assessment completes successfully, you receive the message Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition. Press any key to continue.

Press any key to start the Dell Diagnostics from the Diagnostics utility partition on your hard drive.

After the Dell Diagnostics loads and the Main Menu screen appears, click the button for the option you want.

what are you running vista or xp

what are you running vista or xp

xp

Hi,
Have you tried the suggestion in post #3?
If so what were the results?

1QL3Z51 is your service tag, Dell will not give you the master reset password unless you are the registered owner on Dell's database , if you have the previous owners details you can go to the change of ownership pages on the Dell site, once you are the registered owner Dell will give you the master password. I have the same problem with a Dell D800 that i have bought off ebay, i have the item number so i can prove i bought it legit but the person i bought it from deals in x I.T equipment so they are not the registered owner, there is a piece of software for generating a master password using your service tag but i have trawled the net for ages trying to find the one that deals with the -595B but to no avail, i have found the older version but it will not work if your tag is *******-595B, it's called latitude.exe i think, does anyone know of a download link ???

how do you highlight Diagnostics?

Hi Bob, I got the same issue with my dell D600, i'm new at this internet and laptop stuff... how do you highlight diognostics.... pls help when you come online.

thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.