hello..
my dell laptop inspiron 5100 is not starting... When I trun it on the screen stays black (does not turn on) and I can hear the fan and all work fine. I also see the cap key and num lock key blinking... Left it on overnight next morning same thing... Tried restarting it and removed bat and all but no luck... Any help or tips would be appreciated.

I do not know but it is possible ... have you done a factory reset. Often by both removing battery and then poking a small object into a small hole often on the back it can do a factory reset.
Have you tried using a bootable device like a linux boot disk or usb key that is bootable?
finally I left a disk (win 7 upgrade in the drive after totally upgrading adn got the samùe results as you, it was trying to reboot from the dvd drive and as it had no screen drivers at that point (not even default vga) or else they took the necessary sentence off ,the screen and I had to press a ,key to get it to boot!
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.