Ok, I'm a big computer nerd. Worked 3 years as a computer repairman. And I still can't figure this one out. Please help me be my girlfriend's hero here. She's running a wireless connection throgh a Linksys router. She sends her computer to a repair center, the run some amatuer tuneup on it, and now she can't vew any browser based email services.
Heres the symptoms:

1.) She goes to hotmail, tries to login and it gives her the "Page cannot be displayed" bit.
2.) She gets the same thing when trying to update windows.
3.) We both have an online school address run off a Microsoft Email Server accesible through our browser. The server is fine, but she can't access it.

At this point they must have messed up windows somehow. This is what I've done so far.

1.) Updating Windows. (Obviously can't do that.)
2.) Updated Internet Explorer.
3.) Brought down all internet security options
4.) Disable all of Norton Internet Security
5.) Ran a Winsock fix
6.) Adjusted the MTU (found this on a bunch of other threads)

At this point I would have run a windows repair or erased and reloaded, but she's not really computer literate at all. She gets scared if I say the word computer. I can walk her through finding an update or running a program, but anything beyond that is getting to the impossible. Anything you can give me, thank you so much in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

is there a code with the cannot display and have you checked the trusted/blocked sites?

also see if you can access it through another browser or something that still uses ie shell like maxthon

The problem is in Norton Internet Security even if you disable all security features if Norton Internet Security get corrupted in anyway it can changed your regedit values when will blocked certain ports 5050, 80, or etc. go to control panel administrative tools and then services symantec network drivers and stop it see if you can view you email if you can then you know were the problem is you will have to edit somes regedit values. Also check you event logs. you could have a virus.

Are you able to access any other internet sites besides Windows update? If you can't browse any sites, it's possible they changed something in the computer's wireless configuration. If only some sites are inaccessible, it would help to know a little more about your configuration, like:
MTU setting on the router (both before and after you changed it)
Wireless configuration-open or secure?
If computer can view problem sites through wired connection?
any security or firewall programs you are running on the computer?
Does wireless connection appear at all on the laptop?
Were you changing the MTU setting on the router or the laptop?

Try creating a new wireless connection with the settings that were working before the laptop was taken to the shop.

Hi guys.

OK, it´s been over a year, but let´s revive this thread!
I would like to know whether the original poster - Bobamagoo - ever managed to solve his problem. I am having exactly the same problem:

Wireless network, DLink DI-624s router, DLink modem, Dlink pcmcia card on a dell notebook running W2K. I also have a wired connection to a desktop pc, a wired connection to a second notebook and a *wireless* connection to another Dell notebook with a built-in wireless adapter, running WXP.

Both wireless notebooks cannot access some web sites, most notably windows update, intel and some others.

The wired desktop and the wired notebook, plugged into the router, can access all sites.

The wireless notebook with the built-in wireless adapter (my computer from work) can access all sites when accessing through other networks (such as work), and when connected to a wired lan.

I´ve been looking around, found suggestions to change the MTU, did that, no effect.

It seems clear that the problem *must* be in the router´s wireless configuration - or on the pcmcia card´s configuration - since all wired connections through this router work fine, and at least one of the notebooks works when connected to other wireless networks...

Please help!!!!

thanks.

I had similar issue couple of days back. It was caused by some trojan or something.
Any email pages (I use hotmail and yahoo) weren't accessible. Windows update didn't work either giving me some error code on the windows update page. I've searched microsoft's knowledge database for that code and I've found it, but only listed as error reported in the update log (something about corruption in files) and not as the site access issue. So, it was a dead-end.

I did some poking with the internet connection settings on my own and I was able to get to the bottom of it.

What I did to fix it was:

- Rightclick the connection used in the network connection window
- select "properties"
- click on "advanced" tab
- click on the "Settings" button in the "Internet connection sharing" part
- uncheck "dplaysvr (255.255.255.255.47624) 47624 UDP"

My problem went away.

Note: I haven't changed any other settings.

Hey Chaky,

Thanks for your help, but I couldn't find "dplaysvr" anywhere, on any of my machines...

Anyone else have any ideas?

I'm running a full scan with ad-aware and avast (again), just to be sure... so far, nothing...

best regards

addition to my last post here:

Insert between steps 3 and 4 "- check the ˝Allow other networkusers to connect trough this computer's Internet connection˝ checkbox"

Uncheck the same box as above after unchecking "Dplaysrv.exe".

BTW, you could check the "enable ieee 802.1x authentication for this network" box at local area network or whatever it is called that connection taht you use. (rightclick it, properities, authentication tab). There are 3 or more choices. One of them should work.

Hi Chaky,

Thanks again. I think I've figured out why I can't implement your suggestions: I don't have a dialup or other kind of "connection" configured on any of my computers. I am using a modem plugged into a router which in turn serves my network. Therefore, the only thing I have on any of the machines is regular network (ethernet) access. On the notebooks there's also the wireless controller app., but that does not have the parameters you mentioned.

Thanks just the same.

rgds.

In that case disregard "dplaysvr" suggestion.

Authentication suggestion stands for the LAN settings aswell as for the dial-up.

Hello, I'm new here and no "expert" but I tinker a bit and have a small network of pc's in my home. This sounds like an authentication setting issue as the previous poster states. For me, (Win XP Professional) on the pc with the shared network connection, I did the following:
Under Network Connections

Right click on the shared connection, click Properties

Click on the authentication tab
Be sure Enable IEEE 802.1 is checked. The option I have is Smart card or other certificate. Click on Properties of this setting.

Be sure the "Use a certificate on this computer" radio button is enabled.

Put a check box in use simple certificate

I also had to put a check box on the validate server certificate option and check all desired certificates that appear in the box below.

Hit OK, OK and try to connect to the sites that were giving problems before. No reboot should be necessary.

Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread, but it have the same issue with a friends new dell laptop with Vista running wireless (i have the same setup no issues). Can't get to hotmail, can not download or perform updates from mircosoft or McFee sites. Thinking it was a virus, I managed to get Stinger on this laptop. but nothing found.

Try disabling the firewall.

I'm positive i gave already tried disabling the Vista firewall.

Right now ,I don't have the machine with me (so I've got to Email instructions to a frustrated owner)

There could be number of firewalls. Example:

- windows firewall (or Vista firewall)
- AV software firewall (ex. BitDefender firewall)
- Chipset-hosted firewall (like NVIDIA ActiveArmor on some nForce4 chipsets)

It is not likely do be a firewall problem. Badly set firewall would block Internet Explorer altogether. Not just couple of sites.

I do remember having problems accessing the hotmail (or any other https site) before, back in the '98 days. It was caused by corrupt Internet Explorer 6. Solved it by reinstalling it. I had that option because w98 came with IE4. IE6 came separately.

My guess is that IE corruption is causing the problem in your friend's case. I'm not familiar with Vista, but I'm pretty sure that, in order to reinstall the IE, your friend needs to reinstall Vista altogether.

You could do one thing:
Try "synchronizing" IE settings between your and your friend's machine. Especially security section in Tools/Internet Options/Advanced (if it is same as XP).

Hi guys.

OK, it´s been over a year, but let´s revive this thread!
I would like to know whether the original poster - Bobamagoo - ever managed to solve his problem. I am having exactly the same problem:

Wireless network, DLink DI-624s router, DLink modem, Dlink pcmcia card on a dell notebook running W2K. I also have a wired connection to a desktop pc, a wired connection to a second notebook and a *wireless* connection to another Dell notebook with a built-in wireless adapter, running WXP.

Both wireless notebooks cannot access some web sites, most notably windows update, intel and some others.

The wired desktop and the wired notebook, plugged into the router, can access all sites.

The wireless notebook with the built-in wireless adapter (my computer from work) can access all sites when accessing through other networks (such as work), and when connected to a wired lan.

I´ve been looking around, found suggestions to change the MTU, did that, no effect.

It seems clear that the problem *must* be in the router´s wireless configuration - or on the pcmcia card´s configuration - since all wired connections through this router work fine, and at least one of the notebooks works when connected to other wireless networks...

Please help!!!!

thanks.

Hi

I have exactly the same problem. 2 Vista laptops connected to internet via a Linksys wireless router. It all worked just fine for a year until yesterday when all of a suddent some web sites just won't load (google, yahoo, gmail, some other sites as well), some load just 50% (youtube, facebook; maybe only text loads without images or the web site loads in a non flash mode) while some other web sites work fine.

If I plug the computers to the router with a cable all works just fine. One laptop has firefox and IE installed while the other has Opera and IE. The problem persists regardless of the browser used. Firewall, antivirus do not affect this. I am sure it has to do with the wlan on router. Anyone else experienced this? Do I have to replace it?

I loged on into the management console of my router and nobody touched anything; all the settings are just as they were. I have no idea how to diagnose or fix this...

Thanks for any help/ideas...

Try resetting the router. Sounds like it's built in firewall has somehow changed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.