My daughter had problems starting her laptop for about a year. She would press the power key and sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would take 10 or more tries before it worked and then it would power on. Other times even after 10 tries she would get nothing, then taking out the battery and starting with the power cord would work. The other day none of those things worked and now the laptop won't start at all!

When we press the power button there is no sound and the power light (the lightening bolt) blinks green for a second, then goes yellow for a few seconds and then no lights, no sound.

I have the same laptop if that is helpful. Before I start using it for parts, is there any hope? We have 4 computer users (2 in college and one in high school) in our home and only 2 working computers, so it would be great if we could get this one up and running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Theresa

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

sometime over the past year you should have taken it to a repair shop and had it fixed!
the fact you have one just like it helps none ! the laptop has a problem that would require it being taken apart to check for a bad connection and broken parts

The laptop was not under warranty and is 4 years old. The problem was very sporadic. Sometimes it would work fine for months at a time without issue. It got worse lately. I thought it the battery might be part of the problem and bought a new one but that didn't help. I didn't want to put any more money into it. We know that my daughter needs a new computer before she enters college in the fall and would not be taking this one even if it was working. It would be nice, though, if we could get it up and running for my youngest to use. It will either be used for replacement parts or I will attempt to fix it. I am not a technician, but willing to learn if sent in the right direction.

check under the battery to make sure all screws are installed and tight .check the power jack,and the charger ,maybe the power cord has a problem ,you could take the charger and get it checked for voltage output ,or if you have a multimeter check it yourself ,it may not be getting power to the laptop .did you try your power cord to see if it would work

I have a Compaq v2000,about 5yrs old ,was my daughters first University laptop ,had problem with power jack,the pin inside the jack got burnt off ,I took laptop apart completely and had a new jack install ,put it back to together and the power button would not work correctly ,you had to push really hard and in just the right spot ,turned out it was 2 missing screws[my fault]under the battery ,replaced them and it pulled things together and now it works fine .

Thank you so much for your reply. I slid out the battery, but did not see any screws under it. If that is not what you meant, please advise. Meanwhile, I hijacked her keyboard and put it on mine, so I had the keyboard off. I didn't see any loose screws there. Do I need to remove one of the panels on the back of the computer?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I appreciate the guidance.
Theresa

Thank you so much for your reply. I slid out the battery, but did not see any screws under it. If that is not what you meant, please advise. Meanwhile, I hijacked her keyboard and put it on mine, so I had the keyboard off. I didn't see any loose screws there. Do I need to remove one of the panels on the back of the computer?

Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I appreciate the guidance.
Theresa

yes remove the battery ,in my case the screws were directly under the battery ,as many as 6 i think and 2 of them were actually not put back in by me , ,to me it almost sounds like the power button it not making contact with the smaller button that is likely underneath it on a small card that connect directly with the motherboard and controls the power, have a look around and tighten all small screws you can see

My hp compaq nc6230 does not function well.it takes time to power on when you switch it on and most times it doesnt..am tired of this malfunction...any solution please

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.