Okay, so I still have a Dell XPS 410 with Windows XP. For no discernible reason (no new hardware or software recently and I haven't been playing with settings lately) the area around the on-screen mouse turned blue for a brief time before the whole computer finally shut down. Now, every time I try to turn the machine on there are blue dots during the startup and before I get to the desktop the monitor goes into powersave mode (though the tower remains powered up). The same thing happens when I switch monitors.

I am able to interrupt the startup and begin in safe mode. Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix the problem from there.

In the Event Viewer application I'm getting the following error:

---The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load: Aavmker4, AFD, aswSP, aswTdi, avgio, avipbb, Fips, intelppm, IPSec, MRxSmb, NetBIOS, NetBT, RasAcd, Rdbss, ssmdrv, Tcpip. (these errors are occurring because "a device attached to the system is not functioning.")

Any advice?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Have you tried last known good configuration boot yet?

Have you tried last known good configuration boot yet?

Yes, but the result is the same.

Someone suggested I try removing my network card and other nonessential hardware. This didn't help either. Might it be my video card?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.