Hi,

I've been looking on various forums on how to fix this issue but with no luck. I can't seem to find anything which refers to this specific problem. It is not a Windows 7 software issue as far as I'm aware.

The screen on my computer will sometimes go black, music will cut off (sometimes it jolts and plays the same small clip over and over agan) and be completely unresponsive. This usually happens when I'm playing games and it happened many times when I was trying to transfer several hundred gigabytes of data from one USB Hard drive to another. But it can also happen when I just leave it for a day or so on.

I've reformatted a Hard Drive and reinstalled windows, and that hasn't helped exactly....it seems to only have happened once in the last 3-4 days when it used to happen once a day or so. I've got 2*2gb of ram and have switched the two and that hasn't helped.

I have no way currently of switching components around to identify which part is causing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,

Anthony

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

..check your video card...

Hi everyone I am having almost the same problem:
My Laptop (4year old toshiba) only boots the first stage where it says toshiba and the scrillbar on the bottom appears...
Then it goes black with a cursor on the top left. no keys will work and it will reboot if I press CTRL ALT DEL
1. I have tried to start it on safe mode and it does not let me
2. I have pressed f12 and go into HDD and it will go to black screen with a small cursor line on top left.
3. Ive pressed f 10 and it does not help either...
Is there a way I can fix this problem? thanks

I am having the same problem or one very similar. I have been able to get to windows vista on occasion. I would like to reset the bios via CMOS battery removal. I have gotten into the bios and tested the memory and hard drive, they both passed. The laptop is a H.P. Pavilion dv6000 and I would like to know where the CMOS battery is located on this machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

It could be a video card problem my friend.

I am having the same problem or one very similar. I have been able to get to windows vista on occasion. I would like to reset the bios via CMOS battery removal. I have gotten into the bios and tested the memory and hard drive, they both passed. The laptop is a H.P. Pavilion dv6000 and I would like to know where the CMOS battery is located on this machine. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Victor,
Your problem is (probably) a nvidia problem that affects some models of HP laptops.
See hplies.com for info if your model is on the affected list.

Thank you, Mocha. I was not aware of that web site, as I am trying to get a friends computer up and running again. I got it going last week via a hard reset, but it only worked for a little while after returning it to it's owner. Back to square one with the same problem. Thanks again, victor

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.