Hi folks,
My friend's got a Sony Vaio PCG-FR315S - 2.66 Ghz Pentium 4, 512Mb RAM, 60Gb HDD, running XP (not sure whether its Pro or Home edition).

4 weeks ago, he installed a wireless network card and it's been working OK since. It was working OK last week on holiday, but now it's not!

4 days ago, he started it up, and it went into Safe Mode with a message "can't load Windows". A restart resulted in a black screen. He inserted his Recovery Disk and was able to run it, but after 15 mins it stopped (the book said it could take upto 60 minutes). A restart again resulted in a black screen. Now it won't do anything - it just beeps when you switch it on (1-4-1-1 pattern). He's asked me to try and fix it - but Ineed your help please!

I've tried booting from an XP boot disk floppy, and from an XP Pro CD, but just with no joy. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

btw - the screen is a 15" XGA TFT 1024x768
Cheers
muddy_boots

btw - the screen is a 15" XGA TFT 1024x768
Cheers
muddy_boots

try looking at this link

http://www.vaio-link.com/manuals/manuals.asp?l=en&category=0&serie=PCG-FR&m=1392

i think that while your friends were away they could have knocked something loose in transit. not knowing a Viao's beep codes or what your BIOS vendor is i cant say what these beeps signify. MY guess is that the RAM might have worked itself loose or that a cable has dropped out or been knocked slightly out of place.;)

Janine, you're a superstar! :D

I took off all the panels underneath one by one, and checked that all components were in place - nothing appeared to be dislodged. So while I was there, I cleaned up the contact plates that had grey marks on them (just by rubbing with a finger) and when I put it all back together .... it worked!

I'm amazed that it could be something so simple - and even more amazed that this should happen to an 18-month-old laptop during a 200-mile car journey.

Thanks VERY much for your help - looks like you've earned me a pint or two!

Janine, you're a superstar! :D

I took off all the panels underneath one by one, and checked that all components were in place - nothing appeared to be dislodged. So while I was there, I cleaned up the contact plates that had grey marks on them (just by rubbing with a finger) and when I put it all back together .... it worked!

I'm amazed that it could be something so simple - and even more amazed that this should happen to an 18-month-old laptop during a 200-mile car journey.

Thanks VERY much for your help - looks like you've earned me a pint or two!

hehe get me one as well then :lol: must admit i could certainly do with it in this weather.. good that you got it working anyway but you'd be surprised at what can happen with these things.;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.