I built MSI neo4 platinum computer several years ago and while on xp and now windows 7 randomly shuts off. I have upgraded the cooling fan, replaced the Power supply unit, opened the case, changed the RAM. All of this to no avail. The strange thing is that the computer can run for days without this occurring, or it may occur withing 20 minutes. Also the LED lights blink on the Antec case alternating and I can not restart the computer without unplugging the power cord from the computer and waiting until the lED lights on the case stop blinking or else the computer will not do anythng including restarting. Any clues as to the problem?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hello,

Have you check the event viewer to see if any problems are detected?
You say that what you have changed has made no difference, so what haven't you changed?

- Let us know how it goes.

Hello,

You say that what you have changed has made no difference, so what haven't you changed?

What and where should I look specifically for in event viewer to see if windows7 knows why the computer is shutting down?

Hello,

The event viewer gives a critical error messages that shows that the machine was shut down without warning. It states "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped unexpectedly, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

Strangely, this occurs over and over from 10 minutes after restarting the computer to weeks later. Also, as long as the computer stays plugged into the power outlet it WILL NOT restart. LCD lights on the Antec case blink back and forth. I have to disconnect the power cord and wait for the light to go off before the computer will restart. I have replaced everything but the CPU and Motherboard.

Leaking/bloated capacitors are something to check.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.