keyboard or mouse.

ok. so when i left yesterday to visit my b/f in a different city than mine for thanksgiving dinner the computer was fine and on. when i got back today the power was still on to the actual tower but everything else connected to it is receiving no power (except the monitor but that has a separate power source). so yea there's no power to the mouse (the one i am now using on my sister's netboook as i type this right now so no problems with that) the keyboard doesn't work (as far as i can tell cuz there are no lights showing i don't think there ever was i cant tell.) and when the computer boots up the monitor just flashes on and off and when i push power to the monitor it shows the samsung thing and then it goes blank and then the power light starts to flash on and off.
ok also. the little light that flashes when the hd starts working to load windows stays off. and under the power plug on the back of the tower there is a little green light that stays on even when the computer is off.

so to recap.nothing plugged into the tower works when it is turned off. no mouse, key-board or even the usb wifi key. so wtf is going on because i am being blamed for this and the last time i saw it it was working.

oh the computer is a HP Pavilion Media Center m8530f Desktop PC
it has an nvidia video card --> not sure which
os -> windows 7
samsung monitor
gateway mouse and keyboard

if someone could give me some idea with wats going on i would be exceedingly grateful
oh you can reply here but could you also send me and email to wateredsun@gmail.com too.

one more thing. i don't know if this would be a contributing factor but my house has been under renovation for the last several months and there has been a lot of dust in the house and when i looked behind the computer today there was a lot of dust. either that or someone when on the computer when i was gone and is lying about it.

all help would be appreciated.

i will be checking back periodically. and also my email too.

thanks ppl

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

does it shoe the initial bios screen?

does it shoe the initial bios screen?

no. nothing shows up. no beeps either

no. nothing shows up. no beeps either

check ram and processor if they are seated properly, if that does not work , you probably need to replace the motherboard.

check ram and processor if they are seated properly, if that does not work , you probably need to replace the motherboard.

ok. my laptops motherboard also crapped out cuz the laptop got clogged up with dust and was over-heating. when i looked behind the computer yesterday to make sure nothing was loose, i noticed that the computers back and the back of the monitor was covered in a layer of fine dust (the kind you get when your house is being renovated) and in hindsight i seem to recall that the back of the tower was warmer than it should have been. so if it is the motherboard could that be the problem?

> so to recap.nothing plugged into the tower works when it is turned off.

Turn it on ... I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to say. My best guess bassed on how you worded your Op, your graphics card is borked. Open your PC, check to see if the graphics card has a fan. If it does, check to make sure it works.

If it has a fan, and doesn't spin, you need a new graphics card. If you have an onboard video card on your mother board, pull the graphics card, and try the onboard video card.

Edit:
> so when i left yesterday to visit my b/f in a different city than mine
> for thanksgiving dinner the computer was fine and on.

It's good practice to shut your PC off. At least adjust the power settings for the PC to go into Hibernate after a few hours of inactivity.

but you also said that you are not even getting the power on beep sound that is what concerning me....

cuz if you are not getting any beeps on the start up, you need to get the motherboard checked....!!!!

but you also said that you are not even getting the power on beep sound that is what concerning me....

cuz if you are not getting any beeps on the start up, you need to get the motherboard checked....!!!!

yea i figured it was that after someone else mentioned it here, so after my sister's done school and paying the bills for my mom (she's in germany for a month cuz her sisters really really sick -> surgery complications) i am taking it and my laptop to get fixed.

thanks everyone.
btw. if it is the motherboard/grafics card and they replace it, the hardrive should be ok right because i took some pics of my b/f's phone and he went and accidentally went and reformatted the memory card and lost all his pics of his son. they should be ok.
one thing about the hubby. he is sooooo computer illiterate its sad, he clicks yes on warnings without reading them all the time. in fact he once deleted windows on his mothers business computer(she's a lawyer - mostly union formations with big companies) she wasnt too happy. lol

wow! in that kind of scenario, be careful with the hard-drive. rest i can say "all the best.....!"

guys ,

when you post questions please try to make it in specfic way.
please avoid the the stories,b'cos it is not the story writing area.
be techie and specific in write ups.

friend ,

1.Make sure your SMPS getting power through the power cable from wall outlet.

2.can u hear any sound like 'beeps'(annoying)

3.What u can see on your monitor.(Any messages)

4.Is it booting?Showing any flas on screen any color change.

5.Make sure you connected your speaker and it is on with volume high and listen for any voice while booting.

6.If windows is not booting ,please check you can see or enter into bios setup.

guys ,

when you post questions please try to make it in specfic way.
please avoid the the stories,b'cos it is not the story writing area.
be techie and specific in write ups.

sorry. will do next time.

yea i figured it was that after someone else mentioned it here, so after my sister's done school and paying the bills for my mom (she's in germany for a month cuz her sisters really really sick -> surgery complications) i am taking it and my laptop to get fixed.

thanks everyone.
btw. if it is the motherboard/grafics card and they replace it, the hardrive should be ok right because i took some pics of my b/f's phone and he went and accidentally went and reformatted the memory card and lost all his pics of his son. they should be ok.
one thing about the hubby. he is sooooo computer illiterate its sad, he clicks yes on warnings without reading them all the time. in fact he once deleted windows on his mothers business computer(she's a lawyer - mostly union formations with big companies) she wasnt too happy. lol

If you replace that motherboard with a different one than the original, you will need to reinstall windows; this means formatting the hard drive. You are going to have to backup that drive first.

If you would have come to us when that memory card was first formatted we may have been able to recover that with a few clicks.

Just to clarify, when you press the power button absolutley nothing happens, not even a light coming on or sounds?

With all that dust it is possible the PSU is damaged, even with a damaged motherboard and components the psu should start, most PSU's have a fan in. If the fan isn't working then that could be broke, don't forget the fan would have been whirlling away causing that dust to go all over if the PSU broke the rest of the components maybe okay; remove the dust from the computer in any case. Maybe worth trying a working PSU.

- Let us know how it goes.

while u are at it u might wanna just remove the RAM....use a pencil eraser and just clean the contacts and insert it back...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.