Toshiba 305 Laptop.

Took a blunt trauma to the keyboard, will not start up.

On power up, the power on light starts, sometimes the hard drive light will flash very quickly and go out. Then nothing. Nothing ever appears on the display. No beeps.

Sometimes after this, if you force power down by a 5 sec holding of power key then try again, it will do the above for 1-2 seconds then power light will go out...sometimes to come back on again a few seconds later of its own accord.

• Fan is running.
  • HDD spins, but does not access. HDD works fine in other laptop. Good HDD from other laptop used in this one has same symptoms. All data has been backed up from the drive without error.
  • Fn button light comes on while Fn button is pressed.
  • Caps lock light does not come on.
  • Wireless network adapter light does not come on.

Opened casing. No obvious signs of physical damage, all connections were secure. Removed and replaced all connectors to ensure tight fit. Cleared dust from fan and a few hairs that had infiltrated the housing. Even removed CPU and replaced, replacing cooling gel (I thought that perhaps the chip had been compressed against the cooling unit by the blow and that perhaps the gel had been squeezed out and no longer had a good connection to the cooling unit.).

• Tried the 60 second hold down power button while all power supplies disconnected - no effect
  • Tried boot disk, but BIOS never gets to checking the drive.
  • Tried swapping the memory modules - no effect

Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

It seems like you are a windows expert Jaguara, you have try almost everything and your problem still persists. How long have you been using your laptop. You said there is no physical damage, are you sure everything in the laptop is intact like the hard disk, fan or others?

I have a lot of experience with desktop machines, but have never really fooled with laptop hardware before. I have not kept up with all the new technologies.

I said there is no obvious damage. There was nothing loose in the case, no cracks in the MB, nothing loose, nothing visably broken...

The hard drive worked in another machine to extract the data, and then I swapped it with the drive from another Toshiba laptop...and it worked in that system.

The fan is spinning when power is on.

The CPU looked intact and undamaged when I removed it, but I have no way to test it in another machine. I suppose there could be internal damage without physical indications.

This laptop is about 2 years old. It took an impact to the keyboard while open, and power was off. Hours later when trying to power up I discovered the problem.

The only other thing I have been able to think of is to try resetting the CMOS.

CAn you boot into safe mode, it might be a virus problem.

I have a lot of experience with desktop machines, but have never really fooled with laptop hardware before. I have not kept up with all the new technologies.

I said there is no obvious damage. There was nothing loose in the case, no cracks in the MB, nothing loose, nothing visably broken...

The hard drive worked in another machine to extract the data, and then I swapped it with the drive from another Toshiba laptop...and it worked in that system.

The fan is spinning when power is on.

The CPU looked intact and undamaged when I removed it, but I have no way to test it in another machine. I suppose there could be internal damage without physical indications.

This laptop is about 2 years old. It took an impact to the keyboard while open, and power was off. Hours later when trying to power up I discovered the problem.

The only other thing I have been able to think of is to try resetting the CMOS.

Hello,
have you solved the problem? I have something almost similar...

Hello,
have you solved the problem? I have something almost similar...

The original poster have not come back for a long time so we are not sure. So florinconstanta, you said you have a similar problem. Did you solved it, if yes. How?

Let me chime in ... exact same problem! I've not been able to resolve.

How old is your laptop and what is your laptop model. Do you have a warranty? If yes sent it for repair.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.