Hey,

I recently saved up all the money i needed to put together a good gaming rig for myself...its a pentium 4 in a asrock motherboard...with a 480 watt psu that came with the case i got. I put everything together and had no issues....but when i plugged it in and hit the power button absolutily nothing happend except for a small blue light on the case came on. no fans, no hard drive noise, not even the psu made noise. i plugged my old computer in to the same outlet and it booted....so i know for a fact its getting power....and the fact that the light on the case goes on tells me it has power. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

do you have the hard-disk cable connected in the right way ?

do you have the hard-disk cable connected in the right way ?

Yes, i think so.

The fact that you're getting a light makes this so much more confusing. If the psu wasn't doing anything, yet an old system is fine, I would think that the psu is either not connected properly or is dead.

Just have a look to see if everything is connected properly. If there is a loose connection, take the cable out and reconnect it. If it still doesn't work then please post again.

hey,

Thanks for the responces ,I just disconnected and reconnected everything...same problem. I bought a new power supply this morning and also tried that, and its still not working. :(

hmm, did ya buy from a dealer,, or did ya assemble ureself?

hey,

Thanks for the responces ,I just disconnected and reconnected everything...same problem. I bought a new power supply this morning and also tried that, and its still not working. :(

Check your FSB and Processor FSB, if they dont match on the settings for the MB then the computer wont power up.

if your CPU is 400MHZ and your RAM is 333MHZ then the system has to run on 333MHZ or it wont fire up. I found this out when my friend built his and it wouldnt turn on at all. then he set his jumper for FSB to 333MHZ and it turned on without a problem.

just make sure you have your FSB set to match the lowest FSB. the CPU can work backwards as can the ram, but they cant magically work forwards.

Hey, from u r saying it sounds tht u havent got the front panel cables right. if a light on the front comes on is possible tht u have swaped ur "power led" with "power switch" .good way to do this is to connect only the power switch light and try and match it with the corrent pins.then ur pc should boot.if this doesnt help.check if u have a P4 4-pin connector and make sure is connected right.If your power suply fan is not working it definatelly mean tht u dont have proper connection.

also its possible tht ur switch is not working. to check this short circuit the pins for the power switch.if this boots up the computer then u know ur switch is fucked

sounds like something isn't set right. suggest going back and checking all your jumper settings in the mobo manual and all connectors are correct, make sure your FSB and multiplier are correct for the cpu and ram. make sure you have thermal paste to transfer heat from cpu to heatsink. also make sure the hdd jumper is set to master and you set it to be 'seen' in the bios screen.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.