Machine: Dell Inspiron 1150

Symptoms: (1) on pushing power button w/ battery in, power light flashes twice, battery light flashes once and nothing else (2) w/ AC adapter and no battery, power light flashes once, nothing else. (3) same symptoms when drives, memory, modem, keyboard, display stripped.

So far: replaced palm rest and replaced system board, but same symptoms.

Curious whether it is something with the fan. When fan plug removed, power light stays on for a few seconds, then off.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

...more on Inspiron 1150. With the fan cable disconnected, goes into POST, with the fan connected, symptoms as above...both with old and new motherboard (I'm about to return the new motherboard to Dell). Can anyone confirm that this is definitely a fan problem and that things will be fine with a new fan module?

hi there,
try connecting ur laptop to an external monitor and check out if its powering up.
thanks.

Symptoms: (1) on pushing power button w/ battery in, power light flashes twice, battery light flashes once and nothing else (2) w/ AC adapter and no battery, power light flashes once, nothing else. (3) same symptoms when drives, memory, modem, keyboard, display stripped.

Curious whether it is something with the fan. When fan plug removed, power light stays on for a few seconds, then off.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

I met same problem as you. I disconnected the TOUCH PAD wires ( just under keyboard) and just use battery. The computer start normally. So the power PA-10 is bad and TOUCH PAD including three lights is wrong.

I'm having basically the same problem with my 1150...have you found out what is causing the problem?

Hi,

I think the problem in DELL 1150 is from power sparking. The fault item is the one protect element marked U1 which is in touch-pad board. You can just disconnect it and computer will work fine, but maybe like me should find new power PA-10.

Thanks

I'm having basically the same problem with my 1150...have you found out what is causing the problem?

I've completed the Dell chat help session... based on the Anupau's troubleshooting, he's identifying a video card issue. So he's sending for a technician to come out to the house for replacement. I'll follow up with a report here...

Are we all sure this is the same problem? So far, we've got several different components that "could" cause the issue. It might be a better idea to split this thread up.

To the original poster-- if your fan, being unplugged, allows the unit to POST, then you're probably right. If you're in warranty, you might need your heatsink/fan combo replaced by Dell. If you're outside of warranty, I guess you're buying one on your own...

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

It seems to be the same problem with my laptop but when I try to power on this what happend:

1-- the power led is on
2-- The cpu fan start and the caps lock begin to blink
3-- try to access to the CD
4-- I don't see any video signal even in an external monitor
5-- Then goes down after 10 seconds

I remove keyboard, CD, HDD, TOUCH PAD, modem, ... and the problem still there

Any Idea?

PA-10 the dell power, I am ready to repair this power. I found one part fault, so the computer could not get sign for power ( the thin point in the power hole). This part looks like a Transistor with three legs, but only use two legs ) . There four lines letter on this part are: DALLAS, 2501,C346C4, and 232AA. I try to serach on line, couldn't get reasult. Is anyone know this part including character. Thanks a lot.

I have short circuited the inner pin of the PA10 DC cord by mistake, with the result that AC operation of INSPIRON8500 is OK but battery doesn't charge. At booting, message "unidentified power supply..." appears.
The thin inner pin of the PA10 goes directly to a DALLAS serial number IC, type is DS2501. Find a similar device DS2401 on the DALLAS page. The IC contains a unique 48 or 64 bit serial number and - imho - cannot be just replaced. DALLAS makes such for customers who do not want their assemblies copied of faked. Obviously this works. I ordered a new PA10 supply (EUR 40) from DELL and may use the cracked one still for mains operation (but not for charging)

PA-10 the dell power, I am ready to repair this power. I found one part fault, so the computer could not get sign for power ( the thin point in the power hole). This part looks like a Transistor with three legs, but only use two legs ) . There four lines letter on this part are: DALLAS, 2501,C346C4, and 232AA. I try to serach on line, couldn't get reasult. Is anyone know this part including character. Thanks a lot.

I'm interested in the chip mentioned above'
Where is this?
On main board or in power pack?

I'm interested in the chip mentioned above'
Where is this?
On main board or in power pack?

The device is located in the AC adaptor (power pack) at the DC output section. It is indeed a secure programmable microcontroller device with only three contact leads. It looks just like a common transistor! It belongs to a technology family with the trademark "1Wire" I think.
If anybody has more information, on this topic like the nature of the communication that takes place between this little bugger and a Dell notebook that could help to "fake" the presence of various AC adaptors to the notebook, now that would be quite useful!

-Remain Amused
-nassor

Sir i got complitly same problem, have you ever found out the specs of this transisitor (dallas 2501) or is there any replacment transistor?
I would really appreciate if you can answer me next time you get online. Thanks Njazi:lol:

Sir i got complitly same problem, have you ever found out the specs of this transisitor (dallas 2501) or is there any replacment transistor?
I would really appreciate if you can answer me next time you get online. Thanks Njazi:lol:

The part cannot be replaced. It is not a transistor but a secure programmable serialized microcontroller that provides an encrypted data response to the notebook which identifies the AC Adaptor as being a genuine Dell part. I believe it's purpose is to prevent people from using after-market AC adaptors with Dell notebooks. If the part goes bad, you have to buy a replacement AC adaptor from Dell.

If anyone has good testimony that this is not the case and knows a way around the problem of Dell notebooks not charging the battery or running at full speed, please let me know!

-nassor

I'm looking for someone out there that is a very aware of what is going on with these Dell Inspiron 1150's and/or 5160's, and could explain it. Please email me at dgalmo@hotmail.com

I am having the same problem as you had in 2005- did you find a solution??
I thank you in advance for a reply.

Steve

It seems to be the same problem with my laptop but when I try to power on this what happend:

1-- the power led is on
2-- The cpu fan start and the caps lock begin to blink
3-- try to access to the CD
4-- I don't see any video signal even in an external monitor
5-- Then goes down after 10 seconds

I remove keyboard, CD, HDD, TOUCH PAD, modem, ... and the problem still there

Any Idea?

I have a white screen, as this is a BIOS screen and this is very troublesome as I need a bios password that will work!can I just short out the cmos battery ?will that work? please help

I have a Dell 1150, and when I hook the A/C cord up I get no power, no lights,, nothing. I tried removing the battery, and no results. I don't get any indicator lights on whatsoever. I'm wondering if the whole motherboard is fried, and if so, is it worth fixing? Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks a boatload

Hi mrmike8483.

First of all- welcome to Daniweb :).

We ask that members not piggy-back questions on to a thread previously started by another member here in the Viruses, Spyware & other Nasties forum, (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

commented: Yay! :) +20
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.