okay guys, I'm very unlucky here. This problem has been for a while now, but now is the only time I could ask for help. I recently built a new rig, only HDD and Power Supply were recycled, but I don't know myself how reliable my PSU is.

First things first, the specs of my computer.

MSI GD70 Motherboard 
AMD x4 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz (untouched non oc)
G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2x2GB ram sticks (1333) 
Sapphire Xtreme HD5850 GPU 
OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU (bought used) 
Coolermaster hyper 212 plus

Okay, my first encounter with a problem was when I was moving my rig around, I guess the power cable to my PSU was loose, my computer turned off. So I turned it back on and I believe I had an error sound coming from the motherboard when I started it up. No display was showed and my first reaction was something in my rig had been short-circuited. My rig can run on HDMI wires fine, but DVI does not work. What is weird is when I use a VGA cable and use a VGA-DVI converter to plug into my GPU, it works fine. The problem now is that I lag in game a lot, meaning, noticable changes.

The problem does not stop there. My case is a CM HAF 912 so the top of my rig is open. Being the idiot that I am, I spilled water and it leaked inside and my computer shut off. I was peeking inside the rig and my GPU was right in the middle of where the water would pour down. I removed the GPU from my rig and let it dry out for 2 days, I put it back in and it works fine. What is the first thing I should do at this point? My 30 day warranty is gone from NCIX and I built it myself so it does not come with warranty after 30 days. Thanks guys, i know its a lot to read and i really do appreciate the people who take the time to read all this, thanks again very very much!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

hi,first part ,sounds like a bad dvi cable

2nd part ,keep water away from the computer ,sounds like you were luck this time !
and maybe buy a new PSU as you said yourself your not sure its reliable

hi,first part ,sounds like a bad dvi cable

2nd part ,keep water away from the computer ,sounds like you were luck this time !
and maybe buy a new PSU as you said yourself your not sure its reliable

thanks for your reply! Other DVI cables do not work with this rig, so im thinking the problem might be within the card? what do you guys think ? I don't know how Sapphires RMA is.

but you say you use a vga to dvi adapter and it works ,so aren't you connecting the adapter to the same dvi on the video card that you connect the dvi cables to ,if so i find that weird

but you say you use a vga to dvi adapter and it works ,so aren't you connecting the adapter to the same dvi on the video card that you connect the dvi cables to ,if so i find that weird

Well originally I wouldnt use a VGA cable if I can use DVI right. I was just saying that when i was testing what was wrong with my computer, VGA cable + VGA to DVI adapter works. But direct DVI does not work, even with a different DVI cable. The colors are awfully messed up too. I just tried playing dead island i can see the pixels.

maybe it the video card ,or the psu not supplying enough power when needed ,bu im just guessing

okay, so i bought a new video card 6850 and the dvi still doesn't work so i guess its the monitor, well i know its the monitor because it works on my dads monitor. The detail changed a lot but im still noticing unsmoothness while i play battlefield 3 beta, what could be wrong ? Could me using a VGA cable to the DVI plug be the problem? or could it be hardware ?

don't know much about gaming but i do know that i don't like adapter of any sort ,they just have a tendency to fugg up a lot ,my opinion ,but i do that beta means testing software for final release ,used to iron out problems with the game before the final release,so not really a good game to use for testing your new card ,in my opinion .
your new card is a 6850 ,whats the full name and model # is this it .
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6850/Pages/amd-radeon-hd-6850-overview.aspx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.