I'll start by listing my system specs:

Motherboard: BIOSTAR TH67+ LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Graphics: VisionTek 900338 Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

The problem:

Approximately a week ago my desktop was sitting in hibernate, while it was the power went out for several hours. Since then in either Windows 7 or XP i have been unable to successfully start a 32 bit application, be it a core windows application or a third party installed application.

Steps I took to try and diagnose and fix the problem:

I searched around and found that some people with a similar problem were able to use a combination of sfc /scannow and chkdsk. I tried both from and administrator elevated terminal window and have had no success. Along with this i have tried formatting and deleting all extra partitions on my HDD and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 64 bit. This, at first, seemed to work; I regained the use of 32 bit applications, but only momentarily. Soon the third party applications i had installed stopped working, and eventually most of the functions of windows stopped working. At this point not even windows explorer will launch from my task bar. I tried various combinations of non-vital combinations of hardware, pulled all ram but one chip, for each chip; pulled my gfx card, pulled my sound card; i have tried literally everything i can think of short of installing a Linux based OS.

Peculiar things i have noticed:

- When i boot into windows only a few processes are listed, <20 processes are active at any given time.
- Since i have formatted and installed new copies of windows several times i think i can rule out software corruption.
- sfc /scannow often finds various little pieces of corrupted portions of windows after a fresh install, but each time the fix does not help.
- 64 bit applications still work properly.

Things I realize are seriously stupid:

- For whatever reason my computer did not have system restore enabled when the power went out during hibernation.
- No Windows Repair disk.
- Actually using hibernate on a desktop in the first place.

Now that that is behind us, if there is anything anyone can think of, even if it includes buying myself a new processor or motherboard, i am open to almost all suggestions.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I seem to have made some headway in this issue. It does not appear to be a hardware problem like i first assumed, but in fact may be virally related. I did a "Clean Boot" of windows 7 and the problem with the 32 bit applications stops. This leads me to believe that i have a rootkit somewhere that is causing this problem.

More notes on the subject:
When checking the EvenViewer i found a WMI event that seems like it is related.

Log Name: Application
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Date: 12/23/2011 8:05:25 AM
Event ID: 10
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: 
Description:
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
StudioXPS

//./root/CIMV2
SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99
0x80041003

If anyone can provide me a way to find and remove a rootkit i would appreciate it.

Boot from your recovery partition and have it fix the system. My guess is that some dll's have become corrupted. As to why this happened when in hibernate mode, that is a mystery. My guess is that it was only in sleep mode, not hibernating since when in hibernate mode the system is physically powered down and a power failure should NOT affect the machine in any way.

Przewidujac wyposazenie pomieszczenia w meble dla dzieci nalezy skupic uwage na kilka istotnych rzeczy, ktore pojawia sie w przyszlosci w zwiazku z dorastaniem naszej pociechy. meble dla dzieci Nowo narodzony bobas pragnie bliskosci rodzicow bardziej niz osobistego pokoju, przeciwnie zas przedszkolak potrzebuje juz wiecej, chocby lozeczka, do ktorego sie przyzwyczai. Mlodemu uczniowi przydatne bedzie biurko, natomiast dorastajacy potrzebuje mebli, ktore zapewnia mu magazynowanie plyt i ekwipunku do cwiczen. Wyposazenie pokoju musi nadazac za rozkwitem i wzrastajacymi potrzebami dziecka. meble dla dziecka nad wyraz roznia sie od mebli dla jednostki doroslej pod wieloma wzgledami. Wynika to glownie z odmiennych potrzeb dziecka. Nade wszystko meble dzieciece powinny byc pod kazdym wzgledem bezpieczne. Rama takich mebli powinna byc trwala.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.