I have a problem with my PC. I have Asus A8N-VM CSM motherboard. It had 512 ram and it was bit slow. I cleaned the disk and did defragmentation. Then I unclicked the programs which were making my comp load up slowly. I only kept the antivirus on and unclicked all others.It was still slow compare to my Lapto which has 4gb. I then decided to upgrade ram so bought me transcend ddr 400 (pc3200) 1gb ram X4 sticks. As per the Aida4 software I have installed in comp it mentioned the ram compatible and also as per AMD website my comp can take upto 4gb. I loaded all 4 at the same time and then turned my pc on. All the led's worked and also all the fans were running but there was no beep when the processor starts. I also took the fan and heat sink off to clean it as its not been cleaned for over 4 years now. Also my keyboard and mouse wasn't detected plus my monitor screen kept saying no signal. Then I thought it might be the power so changed the Thermaltake 430w. Still my computer won't start. There is no beep noise and the processor is not starting. My monitor kept showing no signal. I have asked a friend of mine who is IT trained and he advised that if the processor not starting then it could be possible that some connection is loose. I have checked all I know of and still no luck. Can please someone help me or advise what's wrong and how can I fix it? Please help. I have added specs of my pc below. I know its old but I love thisPC and it always stood tall with me and now I don't want to give up on it. Please help.

Specifications
CPU AMD Socket 939 ;Athlon™ 64/Athlon™ 64 FX/Athlon™ 64 X2 Processors
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet™ Technology
AMD 64 architecture enables simultaneous 32-bit and 64-bit computing

Chipset NVIDIA GeForce 6150 + nForce 430

System Bus 2000/1600 MT/s
Memory 4 x184-pin DIMM, Max. 4 GB, DDR 400/333/266 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel memory architecture

VGA Integrated GeForce 6 GPU
Dual VGA output support: DVI-D/RGB
High Definition Video Processing with max. resolutions to 1920 x 1440 @ 75Hz for RGB display
(*DVI-D can not be converted to output RGB signal to CRT.)

Expansion Slots 1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI

Storage 2 xUltraDMA 133/100/66/33
4 xSATA 3 Gb/s ports Support RAID 0,1,0+1,5 NVIDIA MediaShield storage management technology

LAN Integrated Gigabit MAC with Marvell 88E1111 external PHY- NVIDIA ActiveArmor Firewall for secure networking

- NVIDIA ActiveArmor Firewall for secure networking
Audio High Definition Audio, ADI AD1986A 5.1 -Channel CODEC
S/PDIF out on back I/O port
Support Jack-Sensing
IEEE 1394 VIA 6037 IEEE 1 x 1394a ports supports 2x1394 ports
USB 8 USB 2.0 ports
Special Features ASUS MyLogo 2
ASUS EZ Flash
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 2
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
ASUS Q-Fan
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) 1MHz
(*EZ Flash & CrashFreeBIOS2 only support VGA/RGB output, but does not support VGA/DVI-D output.)
Back Panel I/O Ports 1 x DVI
1 x Parallel
1 x VGA
1 x PS/2 Keyboard
1 x PS/2 Mouse
1 x IEEE 1394a
1 x LAN(RJ45) port
4 x USB 2.0/1.1
5.1 -Channel Audio I/O
Internal I/O Connectors 2 x USB connectors supports additional 4 USB 2.0 ports
1 x IEEE 1394a connector
1 x CPU Fan connector
1 x Chassis Fan connector
1 x S/PDIF Out connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
24 Power connector
Front panel audio connector
COM connector
Chassis Intrusion connector
CD/AUX audio in
Support Disc Drivers
ASUS PC Probe II
Anti-virus software (OEM version)
ASUS LiveUpdate Utility
AMD Cool 'n' Quiet Utility
Accessories 1 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66 cable
2 x SATA cable
2 x SATA power cable
1 x IDE cable
1 x FDD cable
1 x I/O Shield
User's manual
BIOS 4 Mb Flash ROM
DMI 2.0
AMI BIOS
PnP
WfM 2.0
SM BIOS 2.3
ACPI 2.0
Form Factor uATX Form Factor
9.6 inch x 9.6 inch ( 24.5 cm x 24.5 cm )

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Maybe you killed it with static?

Did you wear an ESD wristband?

No I didn't wear any wrist band. I read it online that touch the sides of the computer and that will take off the static charge of the body. Also it was mentioned to keep the power supply connected to the socked but turn the switch of for using it as grounding. Everytime I touched any hardware I touched the steel frame first to avoid static.

I've had the very similar issue. My problem turned out to be: a) PSU wasn't high enough. b) Processor overheating, even though the fan was on max. c) Virus. And d) Motherboard wasn't circulating the current properly.

I have an anti virus in the computer. Also my psu is on max as its always been (thats how it came out of the factory) and I have also changed it and still no luck. How would I know the processors are overheating? It gas 5 fans and the comp and it never heated that much. My laptop heats more than cpu.

Maybe one of your hardware died out before the blue screen of death could appear? Have you tried removing each RAM and tried it?

My guess is your voltage. And static. Did you touch the gold side of the RAM? Also make sure your motherboard supports 4GB RAM.

Yes I have tried all 4 originally. then I tried only 1 of 1gb and then i tried orinal 512mb ram it had but no luck. it won't beep at all. LED's and fans turn on but no beep for the computer/processor and it won't detect anything and also the screen

Thank you. Yes I cleaned the gold side of ram when it didn't work the first time with spirit. How would I figure out the voltage & static issue?.

Remove the CMOS battery or use the jumper to reset the bios. Give it a few minutes then replace the battery (or jumper back to it's original position).
Go into the BIOS and set the system clock then save and exit.
See if it will boot now.

Thank you. I will try this ehrn i go home in another 3 hours and will update here.

I tried taking the battery off and also took the jumper off and then put it back in. pressed the start button again and still fan is only on with led's. another thing I have notices was when I turn the pc on there use to be two lights in front. green and blue. not they are red and blue. When I take the socket/power cable out of the dvd player/writer the red light goes really dim.

Try installing one stick of RAM only and boot the PC. If it starts, shut down and install the other. Make sure power is off and press the power button to discharge the capacitors before doing anything.

I have done that by installing original 512 ram my computer had and still only fan's and led's are on.

There are 2 power connectors to your motherboard. A 24 pin one and a 4 pin one. Make sure both are properly connected.
If you have one, also try a pci-e graphics card and see if you get any output from that.

There is a little green led at the bottom of the motherbord. It was green. Then I unplugged both connectors and the light went off. Plugged again and the light came up green again. Still no luck with computer turning on. Monitor screen still with no power. Cannot get into BIOS and PC won't even start and no beep. PLS help.

Refer to your motherboard manual and make sure the power switch connector is connected correctly. You can also try shorting the 2 power switch pins together with something metallic. WARNING! If you try this, make sure you short nothing else as it could seriously harm your computer.

Wouldn't it will damage other parts of the motherboard or comp? power connectors are correctly plugged. How do I see which one is Graphics card? Could it be graphics?

If you are careful then it will not damage the motherboard. All the power switch does is short the 2 pins together momentarily which then starts the motherboard up. Doing what I suggested has the same effect as the switch.

I had exactly the same problem and in my case it happen that i actually bought faulty RAM memory sticks. Fortunately i managed to send them back and got another set which worked straight away.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.