Hi,
My Acer Aspire One mini laptop gives me a black screen after powering on. Power light on, battery light on, NO hard drive light on and never shows anything but black. I have tried a lot of the strategies I've read here (remove battery, replace, unplug, etc., pressing various function buttons, holding power button down), still nothing. This happened once about 2 weeks ago and then it came back on after being off for a couple hours but that has not worked this time.
I do not know how to take out/replace ram (is that for Random Access Memory? I can't find anything on it that I could unplug), and I am too afraid to remove the hard drive but will do it if necessary.
Any advice???
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Forgot to mention the fan is working fine.

Seems like power is good. From what you say, my first guess is bad CMOS. Unplugging and all that good stuff can reset the CMOS (which is what you want, cause something is wrong with the way it currently is).

Maybe try to remove battery and unplug for an extended period; just let it sit overnight.

You are trying to remove all charge from the CMOS, but sometimes there is a little battery that holds the charge longer than you want (and laptops make it hard to access the battery).

I've had CMOS problems before, and right when your about to give up, it will just work. Be a little persistent before you call the time-of-death.

Well you are right -- it IS a power thing. I have no idea what CMOS means but this did happen a few weeks ago and leaving it alone for a few hours along with battery removal did fix it ... but this time that procedure wasn't working. (I also forgot to mention that it was fine in am and then there was a Windows Update alert which said "do not turn off your computer"... got to 30%, I walked away for about 1/2 hour, came back and it was dead... so I was blaming the update for corrupting the hard drive. Wrong. Also neglected to mention 2 other things: that I am using a replacement power cord which seems to work most reliably when in a certain position (cord running behind computer rather than in front believe it or not), AND that the night before this problem I had reset the power settings to all high power, no sleep, no dimming, etc.) Long story long, husband powered it off, removed battery (for the 10th time), moved power cord so it ran behind the computer, powered on and voila, back up and running. I swear I did all those things myself during the day but with only 1 hour rest periods. When he did it, it had been off and untouched for about 3-4 hours albeit with the battery in. I have also now put power settings back to factory default. Anyway thanks for your help. I will look up CMOS now!

Well you are right -- it IS a power thing. I have no idea what CMOS means but this did happen a few weeks ago and leaving it alone for a few hours along with battery removal did fix it ... but this time that procedure wasn't working. (I also forgot to mention that it was fine in am and then there was a Windows Update alert which said "do not turn off your computer"... got to 30%, I walked away for about 1/2 hour, came back and it was dead... so I was blaming the update for corrupting the hard drive. Wrong. Also neglected to mention 2 other things: that I am using a replacement power cord which seems to work most reliably when in a certain position (cord running behind computer rather than in front believe it or not), AND that the night before this problem I had reset the power settings to all high power, no sleep, no dimming, etc.) Long story long, husband powered it off, removed battery (for the 10th time), moved power cord so it ran behind the computer, powered on and voila, back up and running. I swear I did all those things myself during the day but with only 1 hour rest periods. When he did it, it had been off and untouched for about 3-4 hours albeit with the battery in. I have also now put power settings back to factory default. Anyway thanks for your help. I will look up CMOS now!

i am installing sql 10g in may laptop .but it not work.getting error .how to slove adaptor error nd protocall error?

I have the same problem with my Acer Aspire One d257, i shut it down but next mornin the screen went dead (Black screen of death) i have tried a few thins like dismantling the whole netbook and the assembling it back again, resetin bios using flash disk and removing battery but atill have the problem. What i admit is that when i removed the battery i did not leave it for a lon time, 1 hour at most. So that is what am going to try, leave itn for 24 hours and see how it behaves

I have the trouble with our Aspire One netbook, one day it was working fine and next it has black screen, I am going to see if the leaving it without the battery in (Battery is useless anyways) and trying to see if it works.

I also having this problem

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.