Hi,
I have recently been building my own computer for the first time, but I have been having some problems with my monitor. When I turn my computer on everything appears to be working, I can control my fans and I can open/close my disk drive. Unfortunately, when I look at my monitor a message appears saying "attention in power save mode press any key on keyboard or move mouse to continue". So next I plugged my mouse and keyboard in but neither would work. I then tried mouse and keyboard on all of my USB 2.0, USB 3.0 and the keyboard/mouse connector (purple/green, round plug. Not sure what it's called) Neither the keyboard or the mouse worked. I then read in a book that therse ports could be disabled and may need to be enabled in the bios which finally leads me to my question. How do I get the monitor out of power save mode if my keyboard doesn't work and how do I get into the bios to allow my keyboard to work when I can't use my keyboard?
Thankyou in advance,
Slasham

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

Are you plugged into the on-board video port? Also some monitors have multiple inputs. It there is an auto button, press it. It would find the active input.

It is necessary to plug in the keyboard and mouse before you turn on the computer. If your keyboard and mouse use the round type connecters (ps/2) then it's not good practice to connect or disconnect them while the computer is on.

So, unless you have tried this already, please connect your keyboard and mouse first and then turn on your PC.

If this doesn't change anything then we will need to know more about the spec's and parts currently fitted in your PC, please.

The monitor only has one VGA port but I have two on my computer (one on the motherboard and one on the graphics card) I tried starting the computer whith the keyboard plugged in to start with and nothing changed.
I have an ASIs p8 H77-1 motherboard, an intel core i5 3570 processor,transcend jet ram ddr3(8gb) and a seasonic s12ll 520w atx12v power supply.

I also have a nvidia GeForce 620 graphics card. Would my disk drive or hard drive affect it?

I'd remove the external adapter (GeForce) and plug the monitor into the on-board video. Test to make sure you have video when you boot. Check to see what BIOS settings are available regarding on-board/expansion video.

If that works, based on the BIOS settings, install the GeForce card and you should be good.

I have removed the graphics card and nothing has changed.

Is it possible that the video is connecting to the monitor but the monitor is not showing it because it's in "power save mode"? If so, I just need to get my keyboard working.

Usually these monitors go into a power save mode when they detect no activity and "wake up" when a signal is detected.

You'be tried a different monitor on this computer to validate you are outputting a signal? If there is something wrong with your hardware setup, its possible to hear the fans spinning and no output.

I have tried a different monitor and the same thing happened. What sort of hardware problems might be causing the lack of output?

Just tried it without graphics card, hard drive and disk drive but still nothing.

You should try to get this system up with the bare minimum. Leave the drives disconnected. Check your memory modules.

Unplug all non essential components until you boot. You only need a CPU and memory.

I have tried with just motherboard, CPU, ram and psu and still didn't work.

Unfortunately, remote help is very difficult for this type of problem. If you can not get video output with the minimum hardware, there is no need to move forward with other components. You have to troubleshoot this before you can proceed.

You may need to start at the beginning again. Check your motherboard documention. Verify that your components are supported. Does the motherboard have jumpers? Maybe you need to set some options for the CPU and memory to work properly. Make sure everything is seated properly. Re-seat your components.

Forther to JorgeM's good advice, remove the motherboard from your case and place it on the antistatic bag it came in.
Plug in your power supply's 24 pin connector.
Plug in your power supply's 4 pin connector.
Plug in your vga cable.
Plug in your cases power switch.
Turn your monitor on.
Turn your power supply on.
Press the power switch and let us know the result.

I think I may have got rid of my anti static bag :/ Will this test work if the motherboard stays in the case but I unplug everything except the cables you just mentioned?

It is necessary to plug in the keyboard and mouse before you turn on the computer. If your keyboard and mouse use the round type connecters (ps/2) then it's not good practice to connect or disconnect them while the computer is on.

Keyboard must be plugged before system boots.
Mouse is not mandatory.
Plug in keyboard , then only it will work

I got the problem fixed now. It was my jumpers. Thankyou all for your help :)

Sigh. I have built, and helped build a large number of PC's without problem (I am a certified computer hardware tech, and professional software engineer). That said, whenever I need to build a custom bit of gear for myself, I usually let my local white-box builder do it, because I know he won't give it to me until it works! I provide the exact specs, and he purchases the parts and builds it, and then burns it in. If it doesn't work, I don't pay! It costs me a very little more than doing it myself (which I am fully competent to do, but he charges me less per hour than my time is worth), and it eliminates all the headaches! Yes, I know, this is water under the bridge at this point... :-(

What is wrong? There are any number of possible causes for this, including not configuring the BIOS properly, a connector loose, an inadequate power supply, a munged power supply or other system components caused by the external video card drawing too much power when you originally turned it on ... or as you mention, incorrect jumper settings!

Anyway, I'm glad you sorted it out - good for you! I'm sure this was an "educational" process!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.