Hello friends,

I am having a HCL PC in my home with configuration of 120GB HDD, basic graphics memory, Core2Duo processor and with 1 gb of RAM.
Now I am planning to do some upgrades to it.

First of all, I am planning on DVD writer(already out).
Then to the Graphics memory of 1 GB.(I am a Gamerguy:-P).
Then to RAM of 2GB(for the support of game purpose).

Friends, I want some suggestions from you, regarding what brand I should go for and which is best.

Can the geeks in this forum help me?

Thanks in advance...:-D

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Be cheaper to buy a new PC. You are better off getting a £400 PC for gaming.. atleast, but if you really insist on upgrading, get an SSD.

@aVar++,

To be precise, I am very sure of upgradation as mentioned above..(due to some other factors).

So I am in need of advice regarding what are the thing i have to notice while purchasing it and whether it supports my system and also with the other upgradations that were going to be made...

Would you be able to post your system spec so I can have a look for you?

Use speccy if your not sure, but make sure you tell me the power supply voltage.

it is very important that it supports you system ,but as already suggested you never told us anything about your sustem ,and speecy is a very good suggestion
Click Here
run the program let it do its scan ,and if you want to share with us all the info about you hardware ,go to file and click on publish snapshot ,copy the link in your next post

Your pc is bit old having DDR2 type memory which supports up to 4 gb, the graphic card is pcie express 2.0 . Overall even if u upgrade all these parts there will be only 5- 10 % of performance difference. If you purchased a good graphic card then you need to have a good Certified smps. And Buy a Samsung DVD writer.

If you Consider buying a new pc then here is the config.
asrock z77 extreme4 Motherboard
Processor:- Inter Core i5 3rd Generation
Ram :- Gskill ripjaws 1833 MHZ or corsair Vengenance
HDD :- 2 TB Western Digital Cavier green
SMPS :- Seasonic x760 Gold certified fully modular
Cabinet :- NZXT Gamma
Graphic card :- Saffire vapourx Hd 7950 3gb

Its all well and good telling him to buy a super expensive PC however if he doesn't have the money then it's no good telling him that. He said he wanted to upgrade so if purchased a new motherboard and most likely power supply it would open up upgrade options in the future.

Whenever I consult with people interesting in making their systems faster, I usually ask .. "What's the slowest component in your PC?" Your overall system can only be as fast as its slowest component.

There can be debate here depending on what's being processes but in general, you would want to focus your efforts on primary and most importantly secondary storage.

If you spend a few more dollars when looking at storage (hard drives), a better drive that has more cache and throughput makes a world of difference. Prior to SSD drives, a $50 difference between a drive that spun at 5400 rpm vs 7200 was noticeable and measurable.

When you introduce RAID arrays and faster drives, wow! It's unbelievable.

When you see that people spend $300-500 more for the latest CPU but all other components remain the same, the performance improvement is negligible.

So I'd say look at the fastest, most reliable components for your RAM and Hard Drive first. Then CPUs and GPUs next.

In your case, because of the gaming requirement, you definately need to be considerate of the video card before CPU...

IMHO.

@caperjack
This is the analysis result from the software you suggested..

**Operating System**
Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP2
**CPU**
Intel Pentium E2160 @ 1.80GHz   38 °C
Conroe 65nm Technology
**RAM**
1.00GB Single-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
**Motherboard**
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 945GCM-S2L (Socket 775)
**Graphics**
LCD-MONITOR (1280x720@60Hz)
LCD-MONITOR (1280x720@60Hz)
Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family (Gigabyte)
**Hard Drives**
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJS-22PSA0 (SATA)  40 °C
**Optical Drives**
HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NP20
DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
**Audio**
Realtek High Definition Audio

@aVar++

You are right.I am not in a position to buy a new PC. Its just just for entertainment purpose only. So I decided to upgrade the graphics memory and the RAM exclusively for gaming purpose.

I hope that answered something to you @JorgeM

actually it not that hard a upgrade ,get another 1 gig of ddr2/333,[ or 2 new stick of something faster as the board supports up to Support for DDR2 667/533/400 MHz memory modules] and a pci express video card with 1gig of memory
board specs here
gigabyte

@caperjack,
The link you suggested.. Is it about the motherboard?

guys while searching internet, I found this card.

ZOTAC GT 610 2GB DDR3 Synergy Edition Graphic Card

Is it suitable for my configuration?

If you want to game you're gunna need something better than that unfortunatly what is your budget for the GPU?

what games are you planing to play with you computer

Till now only old games like most wanted(old), gta vice city and some games at same properties.

But now i am planning to play NFS MW 2012, fifa 13, Run, like that.

Well here are the recommended requirments for NFS Most Wanted 2012...

Core 2 Quad Q6400 2.13GHz/Phenom 9550 Quad-Core
GeForce GTX 560/Radeon HD 6950
4 GB RAM
Win 7 64bit
DX 11
HDD Space: 20 GB

@aVar++,
My friend, I wanna know whether the above mentioned graphics card can be used to play the above games. Because, when it comes to processor, I am a noob. I dont evn know which one came first. So can you help me out a bit?

the bottom line is NO, you are not going to be able to upgrade your computer to make it run the games you suggested, time for a new computer .good luck

Unfortunatly, Caperjack is correct. It's time for a new computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6INgYBmGo
Go to this link. This is a good pc (without OS) that is about $400 american off of Amazon, if you're not buying from amazon, it might be about $100 - $150 more expensive. If you want to upgrade your computer, you might as well get a whole new one, this link shows you the specs (the athlon processor is becoming discontinued by amd, so you should go with the amd fx 6300 instead). Can you tell us how much money you are willing to spend on your computer too, it will help us help you :)

@caperjack,

Thank you for your suggestion. Then i must wait some time to buy anew PC...

Thanks to Everyone who helped me...

yes youy can play those games but a low resolution and speed because your cpu is not that fast

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.