2 year old dell 1150 shut down on it's own and now there is no power lights and no response from the power button - problem has been diagnosed as a motherboard by online support - dell wants $4450 to ship and fix. I am doubtful that that is the problem and feel its more likely someting with the power supply.
AC power cord is good - tested with another unit.

Any suggestion to identify the issue/problem?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

2 year old dell 1150 shut down on it's own and now there is no power lights and no response from the power button - problem has been diagnosed as a motherboard by online support - dell wants $4450 to ship and fix. I am doubtful that that is the problem and feel its more likely someting with the power supply.
AC power cord is good - tested with another unit.

Any suggestion to identify the issue/problem?

Thanks

My name is John, and I am a customer advocate at Dell headquarters. I would like to speak to you about the problem your system is having, as I think that we may be able to resolve it another way.

If you are interested, please contact me at customer_advocate@dell.com, and place my name in the subject line so I know to grab the email. I think we may be able to have your system fixed at no cost to you.

Thank you,

John
Dell Customer Advocate

john call any time 772 232-1816

john call any time 772 232-1816

I have the same issue. I got new power supply . but I am still experiencing the same issue. computer starts, but once I touch the left side where the cd drive is . my laptop shuts down. I found it very furstrting specialy doing work and then a laptop goes shuts down.. I called dell tech support also and I was told it will cost me $$$$// becuase its mother board .

What model system do you have?

I must say although i have had a few problems with Dell in the past (Multiple optiplex 270's dying a once) i am very impressed by Dells level of support in the comunity i think your the only computer company that has an outreach program and i would just like to say Cutos to Dell for being so helpful.

When you say the dell just shut down do you mean that windows started to shut down or do you mean that your computer just went click and then went blank? Try starting your computer up with the battery out and the power cord plugged in and see what happens

Hi Everyone!

I got the same problem. Dell Inspirion 1150 a bit older than 2 years, the problem just started today. The computer shut itself off and never came back on. The thing is very very warm everywhere. Took it apart and the source was the CPU. I pulled it apart and looked for the source. Let it cool down and reassembled it. Now it's like this:

1) With battery in place and power cord unplugged it won't come on at all, only the battery light comes on steady orange.

2) With battery out and AC cord in, I can swith it on, at least I heat the FAN but nothing else happens. Between 0.5 and 20 seconds later the FAN is out again. No lights come on at all in the front. I hear some clicking inside but only in the first second or so.

I noticed before that the DVD drive was causing problems and tapping in that are while watching DVD had positive and negative effects on the computer.

When pushing the computer in the area of the DVD drive, it seems to come on longer (the FAN at least) than when just left alone.

Any advice is welcome. Tell me what to try, I will do it and report. THANKS!

axel

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.