So let me begin with the beginning of my computer troubles. I'm sure if this is the reason of my recent computer troubles, but you might know better than me. In May I split quite a bit of diet Sprite on the keyboard of my 2 1/2 year old Toshiba Satelite Pro M15 laptop it immediately turn off, but I dried as much of it up as I could and left it sit out open all night it started up but the fan sounded kinda fun. It was still under extended warranty, so with the hope that they somehow wouldn't notice that I split soda I sent it in, but since my screen had broken spots they wouldn't look at it. When I got it back, the fan no longer sounded so back, and it worked ok.

They brings us up to recent times, about a month ago, my computer went static and my sound died. From that time on I've had nothing but problems. The sound has been static, or a high pitch beep. It had been freezing up all the time. And it often went to blue screen with the error stop 0x0000007F. Finally, last night I was working on it and it was actually working pretty good. I left for awhile, came back and it was off. I tried turning it back on, nothing. The LED light for the AC adapter is on, and the light for the battery is blinking. When I press power both go off then come back on. I tried taking the battery out and starting it, still nothing. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what was wrong with it, if it was worth it to take it to get it fix or if I should try to get a new one. And if the new problems are connected to the spillage. Any response would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

To be honest, they almost certainly will have noticed if there had been any accidental damage. And I take it that your extended warranty doesn't cover accidental?

That STOP code points towards a possible hardware issue with the memory or motherboard (according to Microsoft). It can be software related, though.

If I was diagging this for a customer I'd get them to run the recovery disks to either eliminate the problem (hence it was a software issue) or not (so it is a hardware problem).

At that point, at least you know which way forward you have to go to get it sorted.

Liquid spills can easily cause this kind of problem. You've got to imagine what happens when you blow-dry spilled Sprite on a polished table: it leaves a pile of gloop behind.

Well, it does that inside a laptop as well ;)

I did run a recovery before it stopped working completely. Obviously it didn't work. Do you have any idea how much motherboards run cost wise, if that is what it is? That's the most common answer I have gotten, without having to actually have someone open it up. I don't want to waste money on labor charges if I'm going to end up having to buy a new computer.

To be honest, they almost certainly will have noticed if there had been any accidental damage. And I take it that your extended warranty doesn't cover accidental?

That STOP code points towards a possible hardware issue with the memory or motherboard (according to Microsoft). It can be software related, though.

If I was diagging this for a customer I'd get them to run the recovery disks to either eliminate the problem (hence it was a software issue) or not (so it is a hardware problem).

At that point, at least you know which way forward you have to go to get it sorted.

Liquid spills can easily cause this kind of problem. You've got to imagine what happens when you blow-dry spilled Sprite on a polished table: it leaves a pile of gloop behind.

Well, it does that inside a laptop as well ;)

When I looked for your motherboard, assuming it is an M15-S405 (there are two M15 models), I found prices ranging from $500-$750 depending on whether it is factory-direct or reconditioned.

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/devicetype-vendor-modelline-modelseries-partlist.aspx?devicetype=0&vendorlevel=ModelSeries&modelseriescatid=68733&partcatid=0&filter=2

You've also got to remember it might be other components affected as well. The keyboard is almost certainly affected and they cost about $50. If RAM is damaged that costs $150. And you won't know until you get it looked at, which will also cost.

I'm not saying those are the only possible costings, but I'd suggest that anything substantially lower in price might come with its own set of problems.

It's a horrible situation to be in. You end up paying whatever happens.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.