I bought this machine about 2 weeks ago and it was working fine until yesterday. Each time I turn on the machine it brings up the boot menu list (safe mode, Last known good config, etc.) I have selected every option on the list and all it does is reboot itself. It brings up the Windows XP load screen for about a second before it reboots again. I cannot even get to my desktop in safe mode. I am able to get to the BIOS.

As mentioned in the title, it is a dell optiplex gx150. It has a label that states it is designed for MS Windows 2000 Pro., Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Windows 98....however, it was loaded with Windows XP Pro. It has an Intel Pentium III processor, 15GB HD, 256MB of RAM.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

From what I can figure here, there's a concrete place in the boot where the machine dies. The XP loading screen is the time frame where devices are initiated... my guess lies with the hard drive, where XP would be loading from.

If possible, reformat. If not, I'd attempt a boot from an XP Pro disc (assuming that would circumvent the need to use a Windows directory to start it up... never used the function before). There's also the probability of inserting any drive with XP on it, and letting the operating system acquaint itself with a new set of hardware... and it could get messy, but it would at least prove whether the problem is based on a Windows installation, or on a piece of hardware.

Hope you can do something with this vague set of advice. :D

The hard drive is about to go (gone)

Get a new hdd, should take a few minutes to put in and 30 minutes to install xp pro.

I had that happen to me and even tryed that same hdd in another pc.

same results, put another one that I had laying around and bingo.

simple solution and hdd are very inexpensive now

go to dell.com and put in your model number and support and down load the drivers for your pc

video is on board and same for sound.

Good Luck

I bought this machine about 2 weeks ago and it was working fine until yesterday. Each time I turn on the machine it brings up the boot menu list (safe mode, Last known good config, etc.) I have selected every option on the list and all it does is reboot itself. It brings up the Windows XP load screen for about a second before it reboots again. I cannot even get to my desktop in safe mode. I am able to get to the BIOS.

As mentioned in the title, it is a dell optiplex gx150. It has a label that states it is designed for MS Windows 2000 Pro., Windows NT Workstation 4.0 and Windows 98....however, it was loaded with Windows XP Pro. It has an Intel Pentium III processor, 15GB HD, 256MB of RAM.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I also run with this same problem. Tried new hard drive but still wont work. have anybody else encountered this and solved the problem?

Thanks a lot!

I also run with this same problem. Tried new hard drive but still wont work. have anybody else encountered this and solved the problem?

Thanks a lot!

you tried new harddrive ,did you install a fresh copy of winxp on the new drive, a coincidences im sure but im loading winxp pro on one of these machines as i type this .

it didnt work on a new hard drive. i tried it and Windows managed to setup from the CD but when it restarts, loops back again on a reboot.

it didnt work on a new hard drive. i tried it and Windows managed to setup from the CD but when it restarts, loops back again on a reboot.

thats weird ,as most restarts are usually a driver conflict ,can you go into safe mode ,hitting f8 on startup,if yes when you get there right click on my computer/go properties/advanced /startup and recovery /settings and on check auto restart ,this will then show a BSOD error ,if you do get one write down the erroy code numbers and post them here .
also bad ram could cause this

If you have XP SP2 installed, press F8 for boot options and disable reboot on error. That option is not available on boot menu prior to SP2.

Then, you may be able to see what the error is and post details here.

If you have XP SP2 installed, press F8 for boot options and disable reboot on error. That option is not available on boot menu prior to SP2.

Then, you may be able to see what the error is and post details here.

that sounds familiar ,but wit less detail

that sounds familiar ,but wit less detail

I'm referring to disabling restart on error from Boot Options (F8) screen NOT within Safe Mode. Changing behavior on error from within XP won't work if you can't boot in Safe Mode.

I'm referring to disabling restart on error from Boot Options (F8) screen NOT within Safe Mode. Changing behavior on error from within XP won't work if you can't boot in Safe Mode.

never seen that in the options before until now ,sorry

never seen that in the options before until now ,sorry

Made you look, did I? :) Option was added in SP2 and is very useful on BSOD reboots, especially those caused by a corrupt registry hive.

Made you look, did I? :) Option was added in SP2 and is very useful on BSOD reboots, especially those caused by a corrupt registry hive.

yup ,i have two computers running and just rebooted one ,cant believe i didn't see that there before as i use f8 a lot guess i just missed it .thanks

my optiplex170,every day i set up a bios configuration,cannot be save.

my optiplex170,every day i set up a bios configuration,cannot be save.

likely cause is a dead bios battery ,it is located on the motherboard ,its a silver battery about the size of a quarter ,can be purchased at most computer stores

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.