My five year old Inspiron 8200 has finally died. For about a week it said it was running on batteries, even though it was plugged in. If you unplugged it, it would instantly shut down. Or if you took out the battery while it was plugged in, it would do the same. Now it does absolutely nothing when I push the power button. I've tried the usual fixes, taking out the battery, unplugging it for awhile, holding down the power button for a minute, etc.

Does this sound like a motherboard failure?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

yes, it could be that, but why in the heck did you freaking take out the battery while it was running? you DON"T DO THAT!

if it was under warranty, i'd send it back. I would just get a new motherboard on ebay or something.

yes, it could be that, but why in the heck did you freaking take out the battery while it was running? you DON"T DO THAT!

if it was under warranty, i'd send it back. I would just get a new motherboard on ebay or something.

What's wrong with taking out the battery when the machine is on AC power? I've never seen a warning about that.

After five years the warranty is long since expired.

I managed to get the machine running again for a little while. The problem seems to be the circuit board that plugs into the top of the motherboard. It must have a crack in it or something. Do motherboards usually come with all the extra circuit boards attached? I've looked on eBay but can't tell from the descriptions.

You'll have to ask, it really depends on the seller.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.