I have currently scrapped an old machine.

It was a p4 3 ghz 1 gig ram pc3200 randeon x800 graphics with sound blaster audigy 2 ze and tv wonder 650 hdtv tuner card

I now have 3.0 ghz pentium d 4mb cache 2 gig pc5400 ddr2 ram radeon x800 sound blaster audigy 2 ze tv wonder 650 hdtv tuner card.

Soooo

I have replaced power
ram
motherboard

I get random restarts

i have reinstalled os several times

i have seen errors right before restart -something like drive locked unable to read- The drives are from the old machine they are 120 gig maxtor 7200 rpm. They were formally partitioned. I was wondering if this could be causing my random lock ups? Can the old partitions cause problems?
Should i unpartition them

I am so damn confused i have tried running the computer with just the graphics card and i have the same problem

but again not power ram or motherboard and i hope to god its not my processor it was 200 bucks but its brand new with a 3.8 ghz cooler with artic glacier thermal coolant.

MY other thoughts were sadly cpu, disk drives, graphics card. But my graphics card is brand new too. Just angering me!

My computer is well cooled i have 5 fans

1 large psu fan 2 rear fans cpu fan with funnel and side fan

So my thoughts
not power
not motherboard
not pci slots
not graphics

Maybye Hard Drives
Maybye CPU
Maybye Drivers

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you took the hdd from your old computer and installed it without wiping it, formatting it, partitioning it, and the installing the OS you could be having a problem with the OS. The OS is used to the chip set and drivers for the previous motherboard and when you introduce the new motherboard with all those changes it confuses the hell out of it. The last time I did that my OS eventually failed completely.

Try wiping the hdd with something like WipeDrive and use you OS disc to format the drive, partition it and install the OS.

You can just reformat, partition, and install the OS, but if you really want a fresh start it's best to wipe the drive.

If you took the hdd from your old computer and installed it without wiping it, formatting it, partitioning it, and the installing the OS you could be having a problem with the OS. The OS is used to the chip set and drivers for the previous motherboard and when you introduce the new motherboard with all those changes it confuses the hell out of it. The last time I did that my OS eventually failed completely.

Try wiping the hdd with something like WipeDrive and use you OS disc to format the drive, partition it and install the OS.

You can just reformat, partition, and install the OS, but if you really want a fresh start it's best to wipe the drive.

Well i did format the partition but i did not create new partitions or destroy the old one and i put the os on a different partition so i technically have 2 different os installed

Then you need to boot from that partition.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.