First i had the problem that my laptop could not run without having the screen shutt off cause the battery was too weak to give the screen some power but no i found out it wont even charge from its ac adapter! What can i do. I know this is time to throw my away but im a guy of many chances and i want to take every chance to get my crappy laptop running.:-/

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

If the laptop won't charge battery with AC adaptor plugged in nor run with adaptor sounds like the adaptor is bad.plug it in and take a multi meter and test the ac adaptor for current.

If the laptop won't charge battery with AC adaptor plugged in nor run with adaptor sounds like the adaptor is bad.plug it in and take a multi meter and test the ac adaptor for current.

I will try that. Thanks

I can almost guarantee it is the DC jack. Just got back from a field replacement of a DC jack on a HP ze5400.

On most of the jacks there are two contact points that become oxidized. And reducing the current flow, until there is eventually no current passing. The Dell's on the other hand have a little bit more complex circuitry, that also reads the 'brand' of power adapter either through the center pin, or another pin on the 5 sided plugs.

PM or leave a note for detailed pics of the connector, PCB, and jacks.

To add to what the previous poster said, usually when you can't charge the battery and the AC Adapter isn't being recognized, the problem is with the DC Jack. Sometimes it's an internal breakage with the piece itself, and sometimes it's a case of broken solder on the bottom of the motherboard -- rarely will you ever have a malfunctioning AC Adapter.

To add to what the previous poster said, usually when you can't charge the battery and the AC Adapter isn't being recognized, the problem is with the DC Jack. Sometimes it's an internal breakage with the piece itself, and sometimes it's a case of broken solder on the bottom of the motherboard -- rarely will you ever have a malfunctioning AC Adapter.

I agree. I tried using another gateway adapter and it didnt work at all so its not the ac but the DC Jack.

What can i do then. Do i have to buy anything in particular or do i have to take in to the PC clinic

I agree. I tried using another gateway adapter and it didnt work at all so its not the ac but the DC Jack.

What can i do then. Do i have to buy anything in particular or do i have to take in to the PC clinic

If you're handy with a screwdriver, have some soldering experience, don't mind potentially wrecking your board and the DC jack isn't faulty internally, you can do the repair yourself. Just disassemble your laptop, remove the motherboard, flip it upside down and repair the solder points on the DC Jack. Reassemble, power on, the end.

If you don't trust yourself to do this, some local PC shops will do the repair -- I work for one in NC as the technician who does that sort of thing -- and have it back to you for anywhere from $78-149 USD. (We charge $98 in our shop.)

Don't use a 30 watt soldering iron either get a 15.Thought i would add that.

Don't use a 30 watt soldering iron either get a 15.Thought i would add that.

From my experience -
I haven't found a 15w iron that will spread enough heat. I use a 40w with rosin flux paste, a clean tip and wet sponge. You have to have a sufficient heat bridge for the solder to melt. In that respect - the new Lead Free solder has a slightly higher melting point.

If the heat spreads out too far you will never get enough heat to cleanly remove the jack.

From my experience -
I haven't found a 15w iron that will spread enough heat. I use a 40w with rosin flux paste, a clean tip and wet sponge. You have to have a sufficient heat bridge for the solder to melt. In that respect - the new Lead Free solder has a slightly higher melting point.

If the heat spreads out too far you will never get enough heat to cleanly remove the jack.

I use a 30W Soldering iron as well -- I've never had a problem with burning the board, just make sure you use rosin core solder or a good bit of paste and do the deed quickly and cleanly.

The hardest part is the desoldering, but if you have a hot enough iron and some good quality copper braiding, it's a breeze.

Well thanks all of you for giving me this very helpful advise! I will do this myself and will save me some money

I had a small question. My laptop battery is dead but it still has a little bit of charge in it cause when i take it out and put it back in right away, it works for about <1mi. So since my AC Jack Dont work either, when i put the battery back in, the ac works better. This is my question: Does my battery charge have anything to do with the charging of my ac adapter to my laptop. If yes then do i need to get a new battery in order to fix the problem with my ac adapter not connecting?

The Laptop will run with the AC Adaptor and the battery out. If the battery needs a charge it will send it a charge till fully charged then quit. If not it would kill the battery. Kind of like charging a car battery if you have a charger that doesn't auto quit and you leave it on way to long it would kill the battery. Hope this Helps.

Universal Laptop Power Adapters

Complying with most mains power supplies worldwide, a universal power adapter or power supply is able to accept an input voltage ranging from 100 - 240 V with a frequency range of 50 - 60Hz. A truly universal product. However, the term universal also applies to the array of laptops it can supply power to. Laptops are built to various specifications and the power consumption varies accordingly. Physical attributes also differ between laptops and are not limited to the power socket. Manufacturers of universal laptop power adapters supply various connecting tips allowing the adapter to be connected to various laptops. These connecting tips help the power adapter detect the correct voltage to supply the laptop.

Universal power adapters are also available for cars and airplanes. Supplied with different types of plugs to fit a car cigarette lighter socket or the in-seat adapter on most airplanes, such power adapters truly allow the user to be mobile over great distances. The universal ac adapter can power 98% of laptop computers.

make sure your battery is ok too. Go to the battery meter and check battery helath. It should show if the batter is ok or not. This can also be a bettery's problem, not just the adapter. check the battery first .

Universal AC Adapter

There are people who have several laptops in their homes complete with individual chargers for each. Sometimes the long cords and built-in adapters can become troublesome and difficult to handle. In this regard, many people have begun raising questions as to possible solutions to this predicament.

The wonderful thing about the present time is that it is in the mode for globalization and multi-purpose gadgets. The universal laptop charger and the universal AC adapter are latest innovations, much like universal chargers which can be used for cell phones of different brands and universal remotes which can operate different TVs and set top universal ac adapter

Try to move the battery and let the ac adapter plug in. If it charges the laptop intermittently, it is likely that there is something wrong with your adapter. Or you can use your adapter to work with another laptop to confirm.
Or you replace a new laptop charger.
http://www.eachbatt.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.