Using Indian Laptop in UK...adapter getting extremely heated...???

Hi

I am using 3212NWXMi Acer Laptop which i had purchased in India. The indian plugs are round shaped. But the sockets in UK require square pins. So i purchased one

adapter through which i can plug indian round pins into sockets of UK for powering my laptop.

PROBLEM: The laptop power adapter is becoming extremely hot within 20-30 minutes of connecting it to power source.

I fear that my laptop motherboard might burn due to high power.

I am not a technical guy and does not understand what is ampere watt volt...I am mentioning the following specifications:

------------------------------------------------------
My laptop

On the plug that goes into power socket:
6A 250V

On the power wire/coil:
2.5A 250V

on AC ADAPTER:
Model: SADP-65KB D
Input: 100-240V~1.5A (1.5A) 50-60Hz
Output: 19V --- 3.42A (3.42A)
----------------------------------------------------------

Conversion Adapter I am using:

I am using an adapter which allows plugging in round pins into uk sockets:

Its written on the adapter:
250V
2200 W
10A Max
------------------------------------------------------------

Plz say me why my laptop adapter is becoming so hot and what should i do...????

Thanks for ur time in reading my long post and possibly helping.

Regards

sunando

sunandoghosh at gmail dot com

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

The problem is that travel plugs dont convert the power very well.

It may be a better idea to go on the laptop manufacturers site and see if you can order a UK version of the adapter.

Laptop adapters do get quite hot during normal use but they shouldnt be burning hot.

Hi thanks a tonnes for ur extremely helpful reply...

The problem is that travel plugs dont convert the power very well.

well said...

It may be a better idea to go on the laptop manufacturers site and see if you can order a UK version of the adapter.

yes i did that and it will cost me 50£ (roughly USD 100 dollars)....

"Laptop adapters do get quite hot during normal use but they shouldnt be burning hot."

mine one is almost burning hot...

Based on ur suggestions and feedback it appears that purchasing a uk version of the adapter is the best idea....bcz motherboard safety is very important....thanks a lot

You have done a mistake, I guess your motherboard will also get damaged soon, and you will not get any waranty for your laptop.

You have done a mistake, I guess your motherboard will also get damaged soon, and you will not get any waranty for your laptop.

can u plz explain whats the mistake and what should i do to avoid it...

why will motherboard get damaged...???

help

You may have damaged the motherboard / psu / adapter by using the travel plug and you may also have voided your warranty.

Buy the UK adapter off thier site and no further damage should occur.

What is the voltage used in [EMAIL="India@what"]India@what[/EMAIL] freq.?
what is the voltage used in [EMAIL="England@what"]England@what[/EMAIL] freq.?
A lot of countries use differant voltage and freq. and things don't aways work even with adapters. If the adapter is getting hot that means it is drawing more current then it is rated for. Might want to get an adapter with a highter amp. rateing.

Thats why I said to buy the UK one. The laptop itself uses DC. The laptop itself always gets the same voltage whatever the country is due to the fact that the adapter converts it.

50Hz components are not usually workable with 60Hz components. This would cause the overheatong problem you are having. Check to see the frequency ratings on the input for the power supply.

Is nobody here listening to what jbennet is saying? He's a guy well in the know on IT stuff.
It does make sense to purchase a UK adapter if you can from the manufactureres website.

commented: thanks well said +15

Let me see if I have this right, the plug for your power supply doesn't match the receptacle there in UK so you purchased an adapter to convert the plug configuration? Of did you purchase a new rectified power supply converting the 230V AC to 12V DC?

India and UK both use 230V @ 50Hz so I don't believe this is the issue. If this is an adapter all this adapter should be doing is converting the connector's configuration since they are both using the same voltage and frequency. The adapter should not be generating heat, a poor connection can cause a resistive load which will cause the connector to heat up, I would return it for an exchange or your money back.

If this is a rectified power supply then is will get warm, this is inherent to the device, but it shouldn't get too hot to handle.

Is the converter allowing the computer to operate?

Laptop adapters are universal. They will work anywhere. No conversions necessary.

Adapters usually get hotter when using a lot of power eg. charging a battery and running the laptop at the same time.

If you are not using the original adapter then it's worth checking that the output Amps on the adapter is higher or equal to that stated on the back of laptop.

Just get a "clover leaf" or "figure 8" main cable that matches your adapter and has a UK plug.

Raj
www.laptoprepair1.co.uk

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.