HP Pavilion does not Boot AT ALL!!

Member Avatar
reen.blom
Junior Poster in Training
79 posts since Jul 2007
Reputation Points: 8 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 1 [?]
Skill Endorsements: 0 [?]

I tried to switch on my HP pavillion dv6000, all the lights go on, bot nothing happens on the screen at all, it does not even go to BIOS. After several seconds the lights flash- it restarts and the story repeats over and over again. There is no beeps or anything. it is just dead. :'-(

Last time I switched it off it was fine. From the very beginning it would give trouble- it sometime would not start, so i had to take out the battery and then put it back in, and then it would start. Now nothing seems to help. I have tried:

• taking out battery butting it back with power cable in and out
  • trying sto start up without battery on the adapter only
  • taking out RAM and sticking it back in
  • disconnecting hard drive, honitor, etc and plugging it back in

What could be the problem? Somebody, help please!:icon_cry:

Member Avatar
fren
Posting Pro in Training
402 posts since Nov 2005
Reputation Points: 4 [?]
Q&As Helped to Solve: 19 [?]

I think your ACPI feature is not enabled in the bios. Take the battery out and then put it back in. Start then enter bios setup.

Member Avatar
reen.blom
79 posts since Jul 2007

I think your ACPI feature is not enabled in the bios. Take the battery out and then put it back in. Start then enter bios setup.

Have done that as well. Nothing comes up on the screen, it just keeps restarting. The hardrive spins up and DVD-rom as well. The CPU fan also starts up, later on it switches off- it is that AMD's lownoise CPU temperature feature, Obviously CPU does not heat up. Well it restarts before then obviously.

:-( The scary thing is that it worked ok, and then all of a sudden- NOTHING.

I wonder if something died all of a sudden. Because it does not go into the bios. And it is not the screen because I tried connecting it to external monitor. Nothing .

:'(

Member Avatar
fren
Posting Pro in Training
402 posts since Nov 2005

I think it's a video problem. I am not familiar with your laptop but some video boards in different laptops pop up from their connector on the system board. Try pushing it back in place.

Member Avatar
reen.blom
79 posts since Jul 2007

Nopes, as tight as it can be.

I wonder why it does not go to BIOS, not displays POST. Can it be that BIOS went faulty?I mean the chip itself?(there was no attempts to flash it).

Member Avatar
Master_Vos
Newbie Poster
14 posts since Jul 2007
Reputation Points: 0 [?]

It's a stupid remark but who knows it helps...
Maybe the CPU chip and the heatsink above it don't touch each other very well so the temperature rises massively when you boot the computer. If you really unplugged everything already, i think it's worth trying to take off the CPU fan + heatsink and check the cooling paste ( maybe add a bit if necessary).

There are no special beeps that could alert you?

I had a similar problem once and the cause of that was high mobo + CPU temperatures. But in your case i would also think it's the AGP card tbh.

Member Avatar
reen.blom
79 posts since Jul 2007

Thank you Master_Vos

But this thing has temperature detection, and the fact that the fan spins up and stops after a while indicates that the CPU does not heat up at all.

I have read somewhere that ceirain HP laptops ha ve issues with BIOS and it has to be updated. Mine was not. And now that the BIOS chip can not be replaced without replacing the motherboard.... it looks like it is going to cost me an arm and a leg to get it going again. Thank you for the answers guys and gals!

Member Avatar
Master_Vos
Newbie Poster
14 posts since Jul 2007

BIOS update doesn't always mean they have to replace the chip ( unless it's a bad manufactured chip that is). Maybe HP has released a new version of the BIOS + a tool to flash it. Instructions should be on their site. Flashing the BIOS could solve the problem.

And i thought we were talking about an old computer that started to get issues?

Member Avatar
jergrif73
Newbie Poster
6 posts since Jul 2007
Q&As Helped to Solve: 0 [?]

I have a similar issue. When starting up my laptop, the power lights come on and the hard drive light flickers three or four times and then nothing. When I put a cd in, the cdwill spin a couple of timesand the hard drive light will fliccker again three or four times and nothing. Something that happens that typically doesn't happen before entering teh operating system is that I have to hold the power button down about fiveseconds for it to turn off. Befroe when it ran fine, I could just hit the button before getting to the operating system. I have a Compaq Presario R3000 Series latop.

Steps that I have taken:

Removed and reinserted the hard drive
Removed and swapped slot 1 and slot 2 RAM
Tried to start up with only AC
Removed the AC and Battery and held down the power button for a hard reset
Started up without a hard drive (thelast time I accidentally did that, I at least got a "Can not find book disk" error.

I was told that it might be the BGA RAM on the video card, but after that I was told that the graphics card shares the computer RAM butupon loking at the specs it does appear that the graphics has its own RAM. Iam still at a loss for what and where the BGA RAM is. Also, in looking at my chip and heat sink, when I took the heat sink off to reseat the cpu, I noticed that the contact paste was solid and brittle. Is changing the graphics out hard to do? Or should I replace the chip? It did run a bit without a fan a few months agofor a couple of weeks. Any input isgreatly appreciated.

Product Name R3410US
US Product Number PR472UA#ABA
Microprocessor Mobile AMD™ Athlon™ XP-M Processor 2800+ with PowerNow!™ Technology
Microprocessor Cache 128KB L2 Cache
Memory 512MB DDR SDRAM (2 x 256MB) at 333MHz
Memory Max 1280MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB, 1 x 1024MB)
Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 4 420 Go
Video Memory 32MB DDR (dedicated)
Hard Drive 60GB (4200RPM) Hard Drive(i)

Member Avatar
Master_Vos
Newbie Poster
14 posts since Jul 2007

I would not mess up with the hardware too much if i were you... Have you tried already to disable the graphics card in the BIOS ? Maybe when its turned off you can boot normally.

Member Avatar
reen.blom
79 posts since Jul 2007

BIOS update doesn't always mean they have to replace the chip ( unless it's a bad manufactured chip that is). Maybe HP has released a new version of the BIOS + a tool to flash it. Instructions should be on their site. Flashing the BIOS could solve the problem.

Well the laptop is about 10-11 months old. It is AMD Turion Dual Core x64, 1.8 Ghz, 2 Gig of RAM 256 Nvidia card. So I would say it is still new. It was taken good care of, never dropped or anything.

I understand that one can flash the BIOS, and I would gladly do that, but unfortunately nothing comes on the screen, just LEDs flash as it restarts. I do not know HOW can a BIOS chip go faulty I just have no clue what else could that be. Thank you for advice though.

Member Avatar
reen.blom
79 posts since Jul 2007

I would not mess up with the hardware too much if i were you... Have you tried already to disable the graphics card in the BIOS ? Maybe when its turned off you can boot normally.

I cant get into BIOS. :(

Member Avatar
reen.blom
79 posts since Jul 2007

I have a similar issue. When starting up my laptop, the power lights come on and the hard drive light flickers three or four times and then nothing. When I put a cd in, the cdwill spin a couple of timesand the hard drive light will fliccker again three or four times and nothing. Something that happens that typically doesn't happen before entering teh operating system is that I have to hold the power button down about fiveseconds for it to turn off. Befroe when it ran fine, I could just hit the button before getting to the operating system. I have a Compaq Presario R3000 Series latop.

Steps that I have taken:

Removed and reinserted the hard drive
Removed and swapped slot 1 and slot 2 RAM
Tried to start up with only AC
Removed the AC and Battery and held down the power button for a hard reset
Started up without a hard drive (thelast time I accidentally did that, I at least got a "Can not find book disk" error.

I was told that it might be the BGA RAM on the video card, but after that I was told that the graphics card shares the computer RAM butupon loking at the specs it does appear that the graphics has its own RAM. Iam still at a loss for what and where the BGA RAM is. Also, in looking at my chip and heat sink, when I took the heat sink off to reseat the cpu, I noticed that the contact paste was solid and brittle. Is changing the graphics out hard to do? Or should I replace the chip? It did run a bit without a fan a few months agofor a couple of weeks. Any input isgreatly appreciated

If it is a problem with a graphics card, will it not give some beeps?

Member Avatar
jergrif73
Newbie Poster
6 posts since Jul 2007

Nothing ever shows up on my screen, and when I hit F12 as to when I would think that the computer would ask, nothing happens as well.

Member Avatar
jergrif73
Newbie Poster
6 posts since Jul 2007

If it is a problem with a graphics card, will it not give some beeps?

I don't know if it would beep. I think that I am just going to spend $50 bucks on a replacement cpu chip and if that doesn't do it, well I don't know because the next thing to do is to purchase a mobo for around $300 which in that case I would just buy a new latop instead. :-|

Member Avatar
fren
Posting Pro in Training
402 posts since Nov 2005

It depends on what computer you have. Some do not create beep code sounds and others do not have an internal speaker.

The bios will post on the screen if the cycle is complete.

To: reen.blom

Since your computer does not have onboard video, why don't you try to push the video board back in place. Try it first.

To: jergrif73

Since your computer has provided with an onboard video. Its memory shared with the system memory. No conflict with the video memory and it seldom failed.

Okay, guys, if you feel the problem is in your system board. Try these solutions first before replacing your system board/motherboard.

1. Plug your AC power adapter directly to the wall outlet. Don't use automatic voltage regulator or whatever alternative power supply source. Check also the output voltage of the automatic voltage regulator (if any). Use multimeter.

2. Check the output voltage of the AC power adapter. Use multimeter.

3. Maybe your power socket or jacket is loose on the motherboard/system board. Try to locate it, just wiggle each pin terminal (cold soldered), then solder it.

4. The battery cannot receive anymore charging from the power supply or the battery itself is almost dying.

But anyway, since, I think overheating is not an issue here. Try also to clean the cpu fan.

Member Avatar
reen.blom
79 posts since Jul 2007

Thank you Fren!

You just confirm my suspicions that I will have to replace the motherboard, and the cheapest I found so far is aboput 200 British Pounds. OUCH.

The CPU fan is immaculate condition. Would the Lights still go on (It has a multimedia button bar with LEDs) and the rest would power up if there was something wrong with adapter? Will check that out though.

Thank you

PS Graphics card on that laptop is soldered on the board and its RAM as well. Suppose this is what makes that board so expensive. :(

Member Avatar
Master_Vos
Newbie Poster
14 posts since Jul 2007

10-11 months old... Can't you still use waranty or something?
And after reading all these replies i think both Fren and your suspicions are right.... Unfortunately you'll have to pay quite a lot... However try Fren's suggestions first mate =)

Member Avatar
fren
Posting Pro in Training
402 posts since Nov 2005

To: jergrif73 & reen.blom

There is nothing to lose if you will try my above advise.

Member Avatar
jergrif73
Newbie Poster
6 posts since Jul 2007

It depends on what computer you have. Some do not create beep code sounds and others do not have an internal speaker.

The bios will post on the screen if the cycle is complete.

To: reen.blom

Since your computer does not have onboard video, why don't you try to push the video board back in place. Try it first.

To: jergrif73

Since your computer has provided with an onboard video. Its memory shared with the system memory. No conflict with the video memory and it seldom failed.

Okay, guys, if you feel the problem is in your system board. Try these solutions first before replacing your system board/motherboard.

1. Plug your AC power adapter directly to the wall outlet. Don't use automatic voltage regulator or whatever alternative power supply source. Check also the output voltage of the automatic voltage regulator (if any). Use multimeter.

2. Check the output voltage of the AC power adapter. Use multimeter.

3. Maybe your power socket or jacket is loose on the motherboard/system board. Try to locate it, just wiggle each pin terminal (cold soldered), then solder it.

4. The battery cannot receive anymore charging from the power supply or the battery itself is almost dying.

But anyway, since, I think overheating is not an issue here. Try also to clean the cpu fan.

I have tried the above measures and the power seems to be constant. I checked the voltage output and also. I can leave the latop on with the AC plugged in and after a bit plug it in, and the charging light will light up until the battery is charged once again.

The power jacket is nice and tight to the board, which I wouldn't think that it was loose as the laptop seems to be fine inthe power aspect. Could the cpu chip not being set correctly or being burned up or not having contact paste (enough to make full contact with the heat sink) prevent a boot up?

Also, does the following mean that the graphics card does NOT share the computers RAM but rather has its own RAM that could be bad:

Video Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 4 420 Go
Video Memory 32MB DDR (dedicated)

You
This article has been dead for over three months: Start a new discussion instead
View similar articles that have also been tagged: