I have found a thread with a similar problem...
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread15877.html
The short of it says that they were/are having a similar issue at power on. Thier problems started with a bad BIOS update from HP.
I know none of the posts in this thread mention a BIOS flash but the similarities shouldn't be overlooked.
Since the computer will not POST then could our problems be a corrupt /malfunctioning BIOS?
I will wait to see what Scanyman reports back with. They may replace his MoBo without diagnosing the source of the problem.
A new BIOS chip should be cheaper than a new MoBo for those of us who are out of warranty.

FDGuy

Quick update, spoke to the local HP center today on progress and confirmed they think its a processor problem and are awaiting part to be shipped from HP. They couldnt however provide any timescales as to how long this will take.

To be continued .....

I am having the same exact problem with a Compaq Presario V6030 laptop. I have tried everything in this thread and it hasn't started up. I had this problem before and I took out the battery and left it unplugged overnight and it worked. I tried that this time, but it will not start, even after remaining unpowered for almost 18 hours straight. The problem occurs when I place the computer on standby mode and it automatically hibernates from standby after being unplugged for 30 min., which is the default setting Windows power managment has on my computer.

I believe the problem may be that the computer is unable to come out of hibernation mode when it hibernates while in standby. Does anyone else remember if their laptop was in standby and on battery power just before it stopped turning on?

My HP Pavilion dv6000 had no problems. Yesterday, I got an email from HP with this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01087277&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us warning of a critical update and to contact them at a special number if I have any of a number of listed problems-- one of which being the computer won't come on. Last night, I checked email with no problem, closed the computer while I went to do dishes, thought I heard a strange click/pop, and, when I came back to the computer, it wouldn't come on. When I hit the on button or the quickplay button, the lights flash briefly but nothing happens, it doesn't even try to start. My serial number falls within the range. Whatever is going on, HP knows what it is. It's highly suspect that it died the same day I got the email about possible problems. Complain, post, raise a stink.

My HP Pavilion dv6000 had no problems. Yesterday, I got an email from HP with this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01087277&dlc=en&lc=en&cc=us warning of a critical update and to contact them at a special number if I have any of a number of listed problems-- one of which being the computer won't come on. Last night, I checked email with no problem, closed the computer while I went to do dishes, thought I heard a strange click/pop, and, when I came back to the computer, it wouldn't come on. When I hit the on button or the quickplay button, the lights flash briefly but nothing happens, it doesn't even try to start. My serial number falls within the range. Whatever is going on, HP knows what it is. It's highly suspect that it died the same day I got the email about possible problems. Complain, post, raise a stink.

OMG! Thank you sweetie pie for the link! Tomorrow I am calling them!
Here is a link to HP site with international numbers, in case someone needs it!
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c01087194&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN

Mine does fall in the model and seral number range!

Good luck everyone!

I have sent my lappie to HP, and now I get an email that tells me that my "enhanced" 1 year warranty is void, since the unit has been opened.

Can you imagine THAT? Very convinient, isnt it? They sell me a #$%^ed up product and now they tell me I have to pay if I want it fixed. Unbelievable.

Anyone with any results from HP?

I sent mine in last Monday and I got it back on Thursday that same week. The computer works now, and my wireless card started working again. Haven't had any problems so far, but I bought a 1-year warranty just in case (It's cheaper than buying a new laptop, so I figured why not). :)

Hi everybody,

Quick update as Ive just received my laptop back from HP.

repaired under warranty, took just over 4 weeks, seems ok now. The service sheet shows replacement of System Board and CPU. I had been checking in and at one point only one component had been replaced and they then had to order up the other, not sure which was tried first.

My laptop didnt fit the serial number range or fault list on the recall notice.

Mine had flashing leds for a second or to with momentary access of HD and CD drives, fan runing for a second or so.

I think mione was a hibernation issue and I am sure this is the one of the problems with the DV ranges from the dozens of posts on the net.

Good luck in sorting yours.

I am glad you guys have your l lappies sorted!

HP is still messing me around, feeding me promises. Oh well will wreite an update when i get any clarity.

dammmm. It just happened to me... unfortunately I bought it at the USA and now I am in Colombia, "obviously" there is no warranty for it here.

Damm.
If anyone knows how to fix it please post it. I won't pay the full HP price beacuse of one of their errors.

:@

I have sent my lappie to HP, and now I get an email that tells me that my "enhanced" 1 year warranty is void, since the unit has been opened.

Can you imagine THAT? Very convinient, isnt it? They sell me a #$%^ed up product and now they tell me I have to pay if I want it fixed. Unbelievable.

Anyone with any results from HP?

Hi,

I have the same problem with my laptop HP Pavilion dv6000z. I bought it in America last year and 1 year warranty had expired on 24. August and three days later I realised the problem. Cruelly, isn't it? When I wanted to turn it on I heard one long and two short beeps. Everything else seemed to work properly (cooler, hard disc, Windows normally started, but my display was black (blank)). I don't know what to do! I tried to find solution on this problem everywere, but I just realised that a lot of people have the same problem and that it is probablly industrial bug. HP apparently have a big problem with laptops. Only on this site I found the link that HP sent to someone and my laptop fits the range. One more problem is that I live in country where is no HP service, but soon I will go to Belgium.

Husband from my sister has SONY service, but he fixes everything (DELL, HP ,TOSHIBA,...). I gave him my laptop and he told me it might be a problem with contact on the motherboard (there is complite graphic chipset, graphic card, and many other chips intergrated). He also told me that some new laptops have problems with week contact because there are made with new materials (ecological - I can't remember the name exately). Then he tried one method to fix it. He opend my laptop and layed upon the motherboard some special gel and passed over it with very hot air (I think around 250 Celzius degree - of course he removed everything which could be destroyed with so hi temperature). It is technique which should repair and reinforce week contact.
JUPIII, after that my laptop was working properly only 5 days. He tried again and again and the same story - just 5-7 days.

I really don't know what to do! Next month I will go to Belgium where they have HP service. I hope it will not be a problem because the laptop was bought in USA. My laptop was opened, but it is their serial bug and they shoul fix it no matter if it was opened or not. Thay should retire all bad laptops and gave all customers new one, like other well known companies do. It is not only one or ten laptops it is complite series. I have four friend who bought the same laptop in USA. We were there together, and guess what, all laptops have the same problem. CREASY!!!

Reen.blom how is going with your laptop? Does enyone fix the problem?

Hi Ivek!

Unfortunatly HP is still messing me around! The HP rep from USA sent me email that they "personally" will look into the matter and will contact me ASAP via local HP rep in South Africa, blah blah blah. Instead I get a email from local HP telling me to pickup my laptop cos they are NOT going to fix it, since it has been open. They rely on the decision of local HP rep who emailed the the 1 year "enhanced warranty" text with the words "if the unit has been open, the warranty is void". This is what rthey call "personal attention".

It is THEIR fault that the machine does not work. Besides, prior to opening my machine I have emailed HP a thousand times asking for help and all I got was "check your battery and power supply". I gave them my model number and serial number and still they did not bother to tellme it was part of a faulty batch. In fact I found out about the faulty batch from this forum, and HP NEVER contacted me about the problem, though I registered my machine on heir site. If they told me about the problem then I would NOT open the machine!! But what you do when your warranty expires? You take your machine to a technician for a quote! This is what they count on! Because this will give them right to void your warranty.

I have been saving loooong time to buy this machine. I bought it for my business. It has been dead for several months now and I had to buy another laptop(lower range and NOT hp) in the meanwhile to be able to work.

And now HP is just feeding me something like " your problem has been escalated to local reps and we cant do anything from USA". This is SOOOO disgusting. They just pushing me around and ignoring MY PROBLEM. I am really upset and even thinking of starting a website something like deadHP.com or I-hate-HP.com I am sure there are lots of ppl out there to join.

Hey guys,

My HP has developed a similar problem over the last couple of weeks, albeit intermittently.

It usually starts with the computer crashing (screen goes blank. Lights stay on and fans keep going but I know it's not a video problem because I try to launch media centre using the quick launch keys and I don't hear the start-up noise). I switch it off and then when I try to restart it does one of three things:
- It restarts normally
- It goes through check disk, deletes a few random entries then restarts
- It does the thing that other people on this thread are describing: lights come on, DVD drive makes a noise, fan comes on for a couple of seconds then it gives up and tries again. After a few goes though it will usually start up.

It's happening more and more often now. I've done a system restore but this hasn't worked, and after reading this thread I have a feeling that it's going to be spending some time with HP! It's a dv6000 but the serial falls just outside the range (mine's 638). It's still under it's 1 year warranty though so hopefully all should be well. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Hello dear partners....
after i've read this thread i decided to register and try to give u my experince in solving the problem which i had the same in my Hp pavilion dv6000... and i ask god that it help all of u..
my problem same as all of u is that the notebook restart itself befor getting to HP logo which might be a hardware problem.... but in rare cases it starts normally as if nothing in it but as i said it's rare...
I'v tried as u all the methods but not worked...
but i noticed that when i press the power bottom and the notebook begins to restart itself , the blue light at the card reader stay lighten... and when it is lighten the pc always restart ... and in the rare cases the PC works on this blue lamp will be off......
and for that i only watch this light to determine whether the pc will start or not..........

and finally my experienced solution....
1-turn your pc off....
2-press the power bottom on and keep pressing it for 6-8 sec , and keep watching the blue lamp at the card reader ... u will notice that in this first time the blue light will stay lighten .... so by keeping the bottom pressed for 8 sec the pc start and turn off again.........ok don't worry...
3- press again the power bottom and the pc will work and watch the blue card reader lamp ... when it flash off remove your hand out of the power bottom and the pc will WORK normally and will go to the HP logoooooooooooo.......
4- repeat these steps if not worked from the second time.....

these are the steps which worked with me very well

and i hope deep from my heart that it work with you

if anyone has a question about what to do if u don't understand i'm ready to help all of u.....

reply me with what will happen with u.......

My Good news: I have received my Lappie from HP yesterday, they fixed it for free.(I paid the couriers). On the papers it says "Motherboard replaced, updated BIOS".

So whatever OTHER solution is there I belive it is temporary.... There IS a fault with the motherboard. So gather all your patience and send it to HP, and be VERY VERY patient corresponding for months with HP ppl, be calm and polite (they just hope you lose it and give up) and they WILL HAVE TO fix it, because they sold you a product WITH FAULTY MOTHERBOARD. (As I mentioned before my lappy died and then once came back to life and after that died again for good.)

I must admit HP eventually was understanding to the fact that I have opened my machine to troubleshoot it, as I was unaware of the extended warranty. So legally they probaby could refuse the repair although it was a faulty product. It was a battle of many months to have it fixed.

I just dont think that I will EVER buy another HP product.

Good luck to you all fellow HP victims!

Hugs and love,
Reen.blom

thanx a lot for u reen
but for me i bought my laptop from uae and came back to syria
and for that there is no hp center here ... so i thought that this method might help other people like me....

Hi all,
I have exactly the same problem. Can anyone please advise what I can do?
I bought HP pavillion dv2221us laptop in Feb 2007 from US. Currently, I am in Germany and will be going to India after a few weeks. This laptop was fine till two days back.. no issues whatsoever and now it wont start up. The last thing I remember doing with this is just closing the screen/lid down so that it would start hibernating/sleeping. When I tried to switch it on the hard disk and cd-dvd drive LEDs blink 3 times and then nothing. All the Power and Multimedia buttons on the top are glowing but it is dead.
I tried reseating the RAM as advised in the trouble shooting page but no luck.
Does reseating RAM mean opening the laptop? I hope my warranty is still valid because i did exactly what their page said.
Regards,
Saurabh

First, gsaurabh, reseating the ram is not opening the laptop such that it voids your warranty. In fact, that's one of the things on their script of random things to try rather than listening to the actual problems you're experiencing.

I'm the one who posted about the extended warranty. It turned out that first time mine died was because of a bad BIOS update HP sent out. I'm not technically saavy, but I'm an attorney who's good at researching. I found somewhere that if you unplug it, pull the battery out long enough for some internal battery to run down, then put it all back together, it will start up and you can download something to fix the BIOS. That worked... the first time.

A month ago, after randomly shutting down on me a couple of times, it wouldn't start at all. There seem to be a few differently possibilities with these laptops-- the BIOS deal, something with the video card, and a bad motherboard. They also always mention reseating the RAM, but I don't think I've found where that has worked for anyone. The BIOS fix didn't work this time. As non-techie as I am, I could tell the thing just wasn't trying to booting at all, so I was pretty sure it wasn't the video card. Although the woman at HP got quite flustered when I refused to try to hook it up to my TV or to go out at 9:30 p.m. to buy a small screwdriver to try to reseat the RAM. In the end, it was the motherboard. They kept telling me they'd have to wipe the hard drive, but I yelled enough that they put a note in that the hard drive was not to be wiped. Shockingly, they didn't touch it. The computer is fixed and seems to be working fine... for now. I'm still writing them lots of nasty emails and filling out all the surveys they send telling them how ridiculous it is that the technical people lied to me and told me I could only get it repaired by shipping it to Tennessee or California, and that they knew less about computers than I do.

So, try being nice. If that doesn't work, under investor relations on HP.com there's a place for you to contact the CEO with suggestions. It says it's not for this sort of thing, but... I work on cases where the government requests documents from companies. They always specifically ask for complaints, but only take documents from higher levels of the company. If you email a complaint to the CEO, it will probably be the corporate secretary who sorts through them (that's usually an attorney) and that person will try a little harder to get the problem sorted out because the federal government will see that complaint the next time the FTC or DOJ requests documents from HP. They'll want to make sure it looks like HP is responsive to it's customers rather than thumbing its nose at them. It might not help but it couldn't hurt. There's also some attorney trying to pull together a class action lawsuit. Even if there was a class action that settled, most of the money would go to the attorney and you might get a coupon from HP or $25 or something, but you can run a search and find that site if you're interested.

Hey guys and girls, if your lappie on warranty, or is part of the faulty batch(on enhanced warranty) then DO send it to HP! Whatever the solution the lappie will die eventually if it is part of faulty batch!(mine came to life and then died again). Well they would not replace the motherboard (as they did with mine) if there was some simple solution!!!!

Hi people,

Yes, like all of you, I have the same problem and my laptop doesn't work at all about two months. I am soooooo mad on HP service. :@

Frstly, I contacted HP service in America and they redirected me to HP service in my country, because I am from Europe. After few emails and couple of days they realised that I can't fix my laptop in Europe because I bought it in the USA. The problem is that I didn't buy it in the store - I ordered it by email according to my wishes and needs, and because of that they can fix it only there ( because that solution, ordering by email, is possible just in the USA). They create laptop specifficaly for me. I need to send it to America somehow and to pay a shipment, because they can't or don't want to cover my cost of the supply. It is very expensive for me - I need to pay about 300€ for a return mail. In addition, my laptop was opened like reen.bloom's was and what if they don't want to fix it? Or worse, what if I receive it back in bad condition again? Now, I don't know what to do!!!! To buy new one and just to look at this one like suvenir? Does anyone have similar problem? HELP!!!

I don' believe that this is true even case menager, with who I spoke on the phone, told me that I can read it on internet in the section of global worranty.

Dear Ivek,
I suggest you contact a local HP representative and explain your problem to them. I bought my lappie in England and they did fix it in South Africa. I really do not understand why they want you to send it to USA if it is covered by international warranty!

DO try to contact the HP in the country you are in now. US people just wrote to me that they cant help me and it was local manager that took the decision to fix it although it has been open.

Also try to call again and again and talk to different people if the 1st one sends you away!

After all, HP sold you a FAULTY product!!!!!!!

Good luck and keep fighting!

Yes, I agree with Reen. ( And thank you for the quick replies folks. I really appreciate that).
I went to the local HP service Centre and they fixed this problem for free. Earlier I was told by the person online on HP site that the warranty was valid only in US as I had bought the laptop from USA but then when I gave the laptop to the local HP Service Centre in India they said that hardware warranty was valid worldwide. I got my laptop within a week. I think they said the motherboard was faulty.
Good luck if you are still facing the issue.
Regards,
Saurabh

Hello dear partners....
after i've read this thread i decided to register and try to give u my experince in solving the problem which i had the same in my Hp pavilion dv6000... and i ask god that it help all of u..
my problem same as all of u is that the notebook restart itself befor getting to HP logo which might be a hardware problem.... but in rare cases it starts normally as if nothing in it but as i said it's rare...
I'v tried as u all the methods but not worked...
but i noticed that when i press the power bottom and the notebook begins to restart itself , the blue light at the card reader stay lighten... and when it is lighten the pc always restart ... and in the rare cases the PC works on this blue lamp will be off......
and for that i only watch this light to determine whether the pc will start or not..........

and finally my experienced solution....
1-turn your pc off....
2-press the power bottom on and keep pressing it for 6-8 sec , and keep watching the blue lamp at the card reader ... u will notice that in this first time the blue light will stay lighten .... so by keeping the bottom pressed for 8 sec the pc start and turn off again.........ok don't worry...
3- press again the power bottom and the pc will work and watch the blue card reader lamp ... when it flash off remove your hand out of the power bottom and the pc will WORK normally and will go to the HP logoooooooooooo.......
4- repeat these steps if not worked from the second time.....

these are the steps which worked with me very well

and i hope deep from my heart that it work with you

if anyone has a question about what to do if u don't understand i'm ready to help all of u.....

reply me with what will happen with u.......

A MILLION THANKS !!

I too have been going trough the same problems with my HP laptop. I called today to HP Spain, and they didn't want to help me because a friend bought this laptop for me in USA and she lost the papers about it :(

the issue was getting worse these last few days, because before I could wait about 5 or 10 minutes of my lap turnin on and off itself, not getting to the BIOS but eventually it did. Or else, I just started to play plugging/unplugging the battery or the AC. But lately, it took like half and hour or even an hour and a half to get it running !

then I tried your solution... and it worked.

I've only done it once, as I have not rebooted my laptop since then. But I have hopes that if it works for you everytime, the it will work for me also. You really don't know how much I appreciate you for taking the time to help.

Thanks again, and for those that have the same problem. Try this ;)

I found this thread comforting reading, I suffered precisely the same problem, I guess its common with HP Pavillions.

I tried all the little fixes suggested, none worked. Based on what I had read I decided the best means to resolve the issue was to have it repaired professional. I first checked that my laptop was covered under HP warranty, it was. One of the great features of HP/Compaq website is the ability to check this online. You can do it as well, you just need to turn over the laptop and get the Serial number and product ID, then tap it into this website:
http://www11.itrc.hp.com/service/ewarranty/warrantyInput.do?admit=109447626+1210756326928+28353475

I was lucky as had an extended warranty from HP. I bought the laptop from John Lewis in the UK and they provided this as standard, although the warranty was actually with HP. You may find that if you bought from the UK as well, you are lucky to have this as well.

I then called the HP support desk and raised a call. The guy in support tried it on...I pointed him to their website and my active warranty reference number...he soon started to help.

As mentioned I bought the laptop in the UK in 2006, I now live in Australia. All the same the only cost to me was the courier fee to send it to a local repair company in Australia. The laptop was back with me in full working order within 4 days. They even paid the return courier fee.

They replaced my mother board. Clearly not something I would want to do myself.

I hope this helps others, I certainly feel your pain for those of you that are not lucky enough to experience the good fortune I had.

Good Luck!

I have a similar problem with slight difference.
My little kid, spilled some water (very little) on the keyboard, and the mouse pad,,
I removed the battery,, and the power source then I dried it up with warm air, carefull enough not to over heat it,,,
After a while I tried to switch on,, what happens is that the fan will start, the ilghts will start blinking for few seconds and the computer will power off again,, the same with direct AC power, no change,,
I removed the keyboard, and the DVD and panel above the keyboard, I did not find water traces,, all is dry,, but still it won't start up..
When clode the cover it attempts to start, but only for few seconds, then it powers off,
I hope you can help me,, I just got it couple of months ago..
cheers
Gerorge

Sorry that I haven't updated you all. My situation was remedied by replacing a component that was supposed to be supplying 9 to 11 volts but was only outputting about 3 volts. I don't know which component it was as I sent the laptop to be fixed and that is what the tech said.

Hi all.

The HP dv6000 not booting issue seems to be quite common with this laptop.

D&D Tech Repairs have been able to sucssesfully repair this problem.

If you would like us to repair your laptop, simply hop over to www.ddtechrepairs.co.uk and fill out the online form print it and send it with your laptop to us. the details can be found on our site. You dont need to send the hard drive or charger. And for £80 we'll have your laptop returned and running. ( Please get in touch if you live outside the UK ).

We can repair all types of laptops and electronic items at reasonable prices.

Regard
Stacy

I've been reading up on this thread in hopes that someone could come up with a miracle for my poor little HP Pavilion notebook. While I'm fairly sure that my problem is due to the fault that was linked above for certain HP models, I still wanted to ask and see what anyone else could come up with before I tried to wade through HP officials and scream at them.

My computer is an HP Pavilion dv6408nr Entertainment Notebook, recently upgraded to 2 gb of ram. I use it for Photoshop, World of Warcraft, and messenger (Never all at the same time, I only run one of the above at a time.) It had some issues awhile back with stand-by/hibernation, which I solved by never letting my computer go onto stand-by/hibernation. (i.e., I just shut it down each night.)

It was bought around January-April 2007. I can't recall the exact date.

I logged off of my computer at 12pm last night, and shut it down. I woke up this morning, about 5:30am, and logged on to check a few things before work.

I logged off without shutting down the computer this time, in my sleep-deprived state, figuring that it would be fine this once.

My sister, while I was gone, switched it from one outlet to another so she could plug in her computer. When I got home, my computer refused to boot.

We tried holding the power button down for 8 seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 30 seconds. We tried holding down Ctrl+Alt+Del in case there was something wrong with the monitor (My old laptop had that problem) and we switched it back to the original outlet.

We opened up the bottom (Without removing anything) to see if maybe something had gone kaplooey and blown sky-high. Nothing. Not even a burnt tinge.

When you press the power button, the LED lights along the base of the monitor light up, like it's starting up, then it just goes dead. Every. Time.

We've also tried

• -Attempting to power it with only AC adaptor

• -Attempting to power it on battery alone

• -Pulling out the battery for 10 seconds then replacing it

Nothing is working.

It doesn't even go to the start-up screen or anything. It only shows life for literally one second. The screen stays blank, and the LED buttons light. Then, blamf, nothing.

Could this be the same issue that some of the above people had? Should I try to call into HP to get it replaced under the free warranty?

This is documentation from hp service alert publish on their ASP site. Have you tried these steps. after removing all power(ac adapter and battery) hold the power button down for 20 seconds. Then plug in power adapter and see if you get any display

The notebook will not power on using either battery power or using the AC power adapter. The notebook LED indicator for AC power does not light up when connected to the AC power adapter.

If the notebook will not boot, perform the following steps:
1. Disconnect the notebook from AC power.
2. Remove the battery from the notebook.
3. Wait 30 seconds, then re-insert the battery and re-connect the notebook to the AC power adapter. The notebook should now boot properly.
4. Download and install the latest BIOS update from hp.com.
After entering HP’s website at www.hp.com, click on » Software & Driver Downloads, enter the model or product number, select the operating system and select WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (for notebooks with AMD processors) – Windows based, and follow the instructions on how to download and install the BIOS update onto the customer’s notebook.
NOTE: ASPs downloading the above BIOS update

HP and Compaq laptops are notorious for having these kind of problems, the most common cause for these problems is the CPU needs to be re-seated after a while I think they don't put enough thermal grease between the CPU and the heat sink and with time the heat messes with the connectors between the MB and CPU. Try re-seating the CPU and putting new thermal grease, has worked for me almost in every case I have encountered dealing with HP machines.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.