Ok heres my problem. For the past few weeks My computer Has been shutting down on its own, the thing is sometimes it restarts right away and other times it could be an hour or two It will just boot back up on its own. I have tried everything I could think of I swapped the power supply with another one I had and same problem, Took my video card out and tired another still same problem. My processor rarely ever runs hotter than 35c
I get no errors from windows. I reformatted my windows still same problem. I tried different ram still same problem. When my computer works like it is right now It runs perfect, the thing is It could shut down any second, or it could shut down two hours from now. Any help would be great I'm totally stumped.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Your hardware list would provide some light. Sounds to me like hardware/driver issue.

If you want stability, you should increase RAM voltage. Some RAM (like GAIL) are power-hungry, and default voltage just isn't enough.

Couple of Q's:

Are there any errors logged in event viewer?

How high is your VGA temp?

Are all of your motherboard drivers installed?

Do you have any "unknown devices" or problematic devices in your device manager?

Did you try setting RAM timings manually?

Have you OCed your CPU?

Thanks for the reply I have a MSI K7N2GM-L Motherboard with 512 333mhz ram ,amd 2500 barton. msi geforce 6800 gt oc,win xp sp2 fully updated,now for the questions

1. I have no errors in the event viewer and I get no blue screen errors, I set windows to not restart on system failure and still no errors

2. I have never seen my video card temp over 62c and it says slowdown threshold 120c

3. yes all motherborad drivers are installed , i just reformated to try to fix this problem

4. no problems in device manager

5. no I have not changed any ram timings, never had to before

6 never oc'ed processor

try using other processor see if it works..

try using other processor see if it works..

I would try, But I don't have another processor.

After wrapping my head around your problem I could think of several reasons why your machine shuts down on it's own:

- PSU - possibly the other PSU you tried does not produce enough juice to run your machine or it has similar power outlet problem like your original one. Bare in mind that PSU's power outlet decreases over age. If both are similar age and wattage, chances are that they will both have same "aging" problems.

- the silliest reason (and, somehow most likely) is the power cable of your machine, or the socket it is plugged in. Loose connection can cause mobo/CPU dying symptom, without any error reports/BSODs whatsoever.
Simply change the socket and/or the power cable to see if that's the case.

- motherboard or CPU failure - this is worst case scenario. No real way to eliminate one or the other unless you have spare CPU (which you don't), or spare mobo (yeah, right, you sure have extra one of those lying around)

- incompatible PCI card - I had a PCI modem that would cause shutdown every time I try to dial. Maybe you have some old or no-name PCI audio card with outdated drivers?

- weird RAM issues. I experienced similar behavior of my machine back when I was experimenting with overclocking. That would happen usually when I go overboard with MHzs. Countermeasure is to increase the RAM voltage, or to under-clock the RAM itself.
What you're experiencing can be caused by RAM-motherboard incompatibility. That would be so if you haven't consulted your motherboard manual when you were purchasing the RAM. I did the same mistake and spent almost a year trying to figure out the right timings. That's what happens when you ignore the list of supported RAM models/manufacturers/configurations. I said "weird RAM issues" because one would expect memory access errors appearing in pop-up windows every now and then, but with memory sticks one can't ever be 100% certain.
Given that you have 1/2 a Gig of RAM, I take that it is one stick, all you can do with it is to change the slot.

Does it do it with the hard drive out of line?

I have the same problem, but not with 1 machine. I have had 4 machines with the same problem. Two are still on the bench and the other two are still in customers homes. I have tried everything I could think of. All of the computers are different with different boards, CPU, RAM etc.
I have changed RAM, Hard Drives, Power supplys. I show no errors anywhere and they wiill all reboot in a random pattern.
The only thing left is MB and CPU.
I totally rebuilt 1 with new MB, RAM, CPU, HDD and PS and it has been working fine ever since. Almost 1 year now
If I had to make an educated guess, I would say change the MB and failing that change the CPU as well
That should solve the problem. Basicall you are just building a new machine.

I have the same problem, but not with 1 machine. I have had 4 machines with the same problem. Two are still on the bench and the other two are still in customers homes. I have tried everything I could think of. All of the computers are different with different boards, CPU, RAM etc.
I have changed RAM, Hard Drives, Power supplys. I show no errors anywhere and they wiill all reboot in a random pattern.
The only thing left is MB and CPU.
I totally rebuilt 1 with new MB, RAM, CPU, HDD and PS and it has been working fine ever since. Almost 1 year now
If I had to make an educated guess, I would say change the MB and failing that change the CPU as well
That should solve the problem. Basicall you are just building a new machine.

interesting post ,but why post to a thread that's almost 5 yrs old .Really

Try Changing your power supply !!

Some times the power provided by the power supply is not enough as it gets old !:icon_biggrin:

this is an old post to be adding to, but most of the time this random start issue is software based either Microsoft (most of the time) or a third party software not liking something. Event logs under computer managment would show you if your lucky or simply do a recovery in windows to the date before it started happening. Microsoft updates do flakey things at times and in businesses you test, test, and do more test to avoid these problems.

if you have try to swapped with other power supply then it might be your processor is the problem.. have you try to clean up your fan inside your pc try first to remove it then clean it if you haven't try yet because dust is sometimes the main reason why our pc get overheated.

Hello buddies.
I have the same problem with my computer.
It restartes frequently.
Whenever i donload files using bit torrent.
Whenever i play games.
Whenever i watch videos.
Or many times when i starts my pc it quickly shuts down and restarts.

Recently and still i was running burnout paradise game.
My seaget external hard drive automaticlly goes on sleep mode.

i thought i was OS problem,but it was not.
My Computer configuration is:

2Gb DDR2 ram.
1Gb Nvidia 9600Gt graphic card
Intel dual core @ 2.50Ghz (Not overclocked)
Cpu temprature: 37C
GPU temprature: 62c (Limit of 120c)

1Tb western digital internal hard disk,and 1TB seaget External hard disk.

Malwarebyte anitmalware (scanned my pc using it)
Recently uninstalled Bit defender 2013 total security (leagal,licensed)

Scanned using bit defender also.

Also scanned "blaster virus" (which causes computer to restart)
But all scan report says "No infected item found"

I tried testing my Ram,and ram slot but during the diagnosis computer restats.
Used memtest86 for Ram diagnosis.

yesterday i tried instaling NFS most wanted 2012 but computer restarts.

Please help guyz.

About my thought your PSU or power supply unit does not work properly that means the smps of your computer can not produce enough power that is required by your system. Firstly you need to check your power supply unit.
And also over-heating problem can cause the computer restart. That means if your system too much over-heated then your the computer automatically restarted.
So, you need to check in detail.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.