Compaq Evo N800v w/XP Pro gives the following message during boot;
1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure (Failing Attr:02). If I ignore, it boots up and I log on normally (even the screeen, but then after a while it goes black and I have the SMART message...

If I do a HDD Self-Test in ROM, it does Test 1(quick) to 90 % complete it stops, and comes out with "Error:Read failure"

If I choose ROM based Setup, and try to restore defaults, nothing changes.

So any help would be greatly appreciated... please.... :S

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I think your drive is going to fail. Try to do a clean install and check if you can do it successfully. If not, replace your hard drive.

I think your drive is going to fail. Try to do a clean install and check if you can do it successfully. If not, replace your hard drive.

Any advise where to buy new hard drive and what type will fit the EVO N800V?

Compaq Evo N800v w/XP Pro gives the following message during boot;
1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure (Failing Attr:02). If I ignore, it boots up and I log on normally (even the screeen, but then after a while it goes black and I have the SMART message...

If I do a HDD Self-Test in ROM, it does Test 1(quick) to 90 % complete it stops, and comes out with "Error:Read failure"

If I choose ROM based Setup, and try to restore defaults, nothing changes.

So any help would be greatly appreciated... please.... :S

Unfortunately, your hard drive has failed. Back up data ASAP, and replace the hard drive as soon as you get a chance (or when it fails completely, whichever comes first). This has happened to my friend once, who failed to back up their data. Two weeks later, the drive failed, and we found out the hard way that this message means the hard disk is about to fail.

after 'Quick Restore' installation on my Compaq 2100 laptop....an error shows up after the welcome page and ....then NOTHING.... but a blue page with an error number.....whats with this.....very troublesome.....nothing I try will delete this blue page .....The quick restore took on all the cds as requested.....seemed all was ok ...until this blue page appeared.....

Thank you very much....forgot to add I have windows xp ....

I've already given you my best advice which you apparently ignored.

after 'Quick Restore' installation on my Compaq 2100 laptop....an error shows up after the welcome page and ....then NOTHING.... but a blue page with an error number.....whats with this.....very troublesome.....nothing I try will delete this blue page .....The quick restore took on all the cds as requested.....seemed all was ok ...until this blue page appeared.....

Thank you very much....forgot to add I have windows xp ....

New hard drive means a full reinstall of windows from a windows cd is necessarry

I've already given you my best advice which you apparently ignored.

sorry...Im new in here and dont know my way around as yet...I will try to enter the cd I was given when it was new.....If that doesnt work I will buy a new hard drive...is that correct?

Regards.....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.