Is the CMOS battery on a Toshiba Tecra S1 readily accessible from the bottom of the machine ? I've taken apart many desktops but taking apart a laptop is new to me. I'm guessing it's about the size of a quarter but don't know if I have to completely remove the back cover of the laptop to get at it. My machine won't boot up and someone suggested to remove the CMOS battery and let it go back to factory default. (Machine has no display whatsoever on the built in LCD screen or when hooked up to an external screen or any hard drive / bootup sounds)

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I would say the best thing to do is to go to the manufacturers website or call the company to find out information about where the battery is and what it looks like. I do not know a lot about laptops either, but more than likely the battery is very close to the BIOS chip.

its usually under the battery area of most laptops .,as it turns out i was almost right i think its between the hdd and the battery under the case ,a Google found this info ,in the center of this picture in the frame of the laptop you see a green item ,that the battery, wrapped in green plastic ,it pluggs into the board via a wired plug ,unlike a regular pc.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaS1/disassembly/big/Toshiba_Tecra_S1_23.JPG

take it apart
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaS1/tecraS1_1.htm

hi, if you just want to reset the cmos even without removing the cmos batt, remove your memory stick, then power on your machin, then take out the batt or either the ac supply, then put back your memory stick when your power on your machine the cmos should be reset...

Thanks, found it. Had to remove the plastic trim on the keyboard side of the laptop near the finger pad.

I have the same power problem - but am way behind y'all. I don't know what a memory stick IS - much less where it's located! My laptop switches from AC source to battery - at will - w/ no warning. Don't know what/where CMOS is either. Can you help a sista???

when you say it switches from battery to ac it tells you this how? light on case?didthis lappy run ok recently?

I have the same power problem - but am way behind y'all. I don't know what a memory stick IS - much less where it's located! My laptop switches from AC source to battery - at will - w/ no warning. Don't know what/where CMOS is either. Can you help a sista???

could be bad/loose connection between the power cord and the plugin on the laptop,What kind of laptop is it .
it should have nothing to do with ram or the cmos battery .

Can't find the CMOS battery on a Toshiba L305D laptop. Tried suggestion above==no dice. little help? I have the Toshiba but owner forgot password. Bios also password-protected. Anybody know another way of resetting CMOS to factory default?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.