Hi everyone. I have a dead D600. It charges the battery so I think it's not a short problem. If I press the power button it just stays up for 2-3 seconds and then it shuts down. Screen doesn't start and cpu fan doesn't move. I hope there is not a motherboard problem. I have tried switching the memory module with another one and got same result, so it's not a memory problem. If I press F10, F11 or F12 while I try to boot it up the battery led comes red and it shuts down like usual. I think that is an error code but I didn't find a list with D600 hardware error led codes. I have also tried to take out the BIOS battery which I think is the one on the side of the normal battery compartment. That didn't help. The laptop is out of warranty and I don't want to pay 400+ to repair an old laptop by sending it to dell.

If you have any advice or any suggestions on what might be wrong please advice. At least if I would know for sure it is the motherboard or the video card or maybe cpu, cpu fan i would know what to replace.

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Just out of curiosity, do you mean you took out the CMOS battery when you said you took out the BIOS battery?
If so, did you do this before or after your problems started?

I am not really sure that is the CMOS battery but I think it is. Anyway I took it off after the problem started thinking that the BIOS settings are messed up. It seems that wasn't the case. Anyway how can I distinguish between a video card problem, motherboard problem and or cpu/cpu fan error. Just to repeat my self the computer shows the power led for 2-3 seconds and then turns off.

have same problem ,talked to some repair shops one guy said it ether momory carage or start botton board.

The problem is with the fan not turning on. The laptop senses that the fan is not spinning and shuts off the laptop to prevent overheating. I had a similar problem with a dell inspiron 1525. The problem was fixed by replacing the motherboard. In your case the problem is either the fan or the motherboard. I would try to replace the fan and see if that fixes the problem. It also might be a motherboard problem. HOw long have u had the laptop?

The problem is with the fan not turning on. The laptop senses that the fan is not spinning and shuts off the laptop to prevent overheating. I had a similar problem with a dell inspiron 1525. The problem was fixed by replacing the motherboard. In your case the problem is either the fan or the motherboard. I would try to replace the fan and see if that fixes the problem. It also might be a motherboard problem. HOw long have u had the laptop?

hi, you are posting to a 1 yr old thread ,please check dated when helping posters ,thanks

but did it work???? cause i have the same problem....

I have a Dell600 that will not boot up even in safe mode. Just keeps saying problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
WILL NOT LET ME RUN SAFE MODE OR START FROM LAST CONFIG THAT WORKED IN ADVANCED OPTIONS.
Can someone please tell me what this is, or to fix it?

Thanks,
Dead machine

nevermind fixed it by running CHKDSK.
THANKS

Hello everyone:
I have a Dell Laptop D600 that, it also has starting issue.
when you start it will check itself and lights comes on for 3 seconds, and then it shuts off. I open it all up, replace the CPU and clean up the connectors with spray stuff, it worked for 1 day, and the same problem next day.
So I dropped it 2 inches above the carpet, and then tried it and it worked again for one day. So it is not the cpu "warped or corrosion" so it must be the mobo.
i think it must be the starter button board, that causes the problem.
what do you think?

I have the same problem. When I press Start, all the lights come on steady and then they all turn off after about 3 seconds. The hard drive and fan never start.

This problem arose immediately after I replaced the system board with a brand new one (not used) to fix an LCD display back light power problem with the old system board. None of the lights blink so I don't think the problem is related to memory or other plug in modules.

The problem is identical regardless of power source (AC charger, AC charger through dock, or battery only).

This problem seems very widespread and there are many posts on the Internet but I don't see any clear description of what causes this or how to fix it.

This problem seems very widespread and there are many posts on the Internet but I don't see any clear description of what causes this or how to fix it.

====================================
that why there are laptop repair techs' making a living in most community's' around the globe ,good luck

The solution to this problem was to reinstall the CPU and make sure the socket screw was turned until it fully locked in place.

The procedure for removing or reinstalling the CPU is in the Dell Latitude D600 Service Manual which is available on the Dell web site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.